Duke4.net Forums: draw distance in a con file - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

draw distance in a con file

User is offline   NerdZilla 

Well, as it's known I like to make epic huge maps. but the problem is the areas become to big to be seen at ones. And we know you can't control the draw distance.

The only way to make a huge map bigger then epic. is to place walls to block the veiw... its ok, but you can't see anything untel the vary point you cross the wall. as of right now thats the only methed.

now if only there was a way to make the wall disapear befor walking into it.? and well if anyone could think up something it would be you guys.

it would make a perfict add on to Duke plus. maybe even make the option of having it disapear earlayer. to make a bigger manual draw distance (just like GTA3's programing)? EA : a building, hill or something will apear on screen erlayer.

so can anyone progam the simple wall code? to make it perfict i guess you would have to code the sky FX into walls. then it would be just like GTA3.
but a plain black wall is fine for now.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 04 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I talked to TerminX about draw distance before, and apparently changing the draw distance is not a trivial matter. On a related note, one unfortunate thing about the renderer (I'm not sure if this applies to polymer) is that stuff is rendered even if obscured by fog, so fog can't be used as a way of saving resources.

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by areas being "too big to be seen".

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The only ways I can think of to alter draw distance would be resource intensive enough that it wouldn't be worth it.

User is offline   Mark 

I barely know enough about mapping to get by. But would it be possible to create a huge wall sector that could raise/ lower and be controlled by a bunch of different switches applied to the different areas of your map as you approach the wall from different angles. Kind of difficult I know if your player is flying like in your one map. Might work for the ground based map.

This post has been edited by Marked: 04 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 4 2010, 03:07 PM, said:

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by areas being "too big to be seen".

Duke3d will crash if to much map goes into the frame buffer at one.

View PostMblackwell, on Jan 4 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

The only ways I can think of to alter draw distance would be resource intensive enough that it wouldn't be worth it.

Well my idea is simple, Hit the 1 key to make a masking wall.
But I'll need to make a Con file to make a masking wall that will disapear befor walking into it.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 05 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

I FIGGERD IT OUT. im certen there is a methed in duke!.

How would i make an Actavater switch in a area for something like a force field masking wall? And can I make it so it only Actavates or Deactavates?

Can anyone help?

User is online   Sangman 

AFAIK the only masked walls that can be manipulated (by giving them lotags and putting a switch nearby) are forcefields and they're see-through so you won't be able to block off part of the map with that. Also I think it doesn't work with touchplates. You could create a doom-door though but maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I said it's resource intensive because you'd have to keep an array of walls/sectors and check the player's distance to them. You're going to eat up a lot of CPU time. The other method I could think of would be a bunch of doom doors or similar and having custom switch sprites. It wouldn't necessarily be worth it either as it would completely effect your map design, and wouldn't really look proper unless it was a confined area and you could control what was in view at any given time.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

First shot is in Polymost second is in Polymer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Oddly enough, Polymer gives me better performance in this situation. lol

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 5 2010, 08:20 AM, said:

First shot is in Polymost second is in Polymer.

Oddly enough, Polymer gives me better performance in this situation. lol

Polymer works on my computer. But ones i get one light in play. My FPS goes to terd and lagggggg-(moment please)-ggg... is my friend.
I guess all i need is Polymer 3d, with out the Polymer lighting or FX?... ...weard... Ok, is there a command that would shut it down but keep the 3d aspect??

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 05 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://wiki.eduke32....onsole_commands

Look down in the Polymer.c commands, enter them into the console.
Example

r_pr_lighting 0
r_pr_shadows 0

Should disable lights and shadows.

View PostThe Commander, on Jan 5 2010, 07:38 PM, said:

http://wiki.eduke32....onsole_commands

Look down in the Polymer.c commands, enter them into the console.
Example

r_pr_lighting 0
r_pr_shadows 0

Should disable lights and shadows.

it did'nt work, it still craps out on lighting. but the 3d it self is perfict. maybe e-duke is'nt set to my video card yet and thats the problem?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options