Duke4.net Forums: Biggest standalone map for eduke32? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Biggest standalone map for eduke32?

User is offline   dopefish 

I'm about to start working on a pretty massive level but need an idea of how big I can make it before I should consider breaking it down into separate maps and joining them using the hub trick. Numbers themselves don't mean anything to me.

What's the biggest map you know of that gets nearest the limitations of the eduke32 build engine?

Thanks

User is offline   Sangman 

Huh? Maps instead of numbers? Well I guess one of Zaxtor's maps?

User is offline   Gambini 

Not in therms of size but i think my map Blown Fuses and CraigFatman´s LPT map are the ones that use almost all resources.

Holy crap, I'd not played through any of the Duke Plus levels. That map is outstanding! Unfortunately it froze on me after I beat the Battlelord, but christ that level is awesome.

As far as the numbers, the max is 2096 sectors, 16384 walls and 16384 sprites, right?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdopefish, on Dec 23 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

Holy crap, I'd not played through any of the Duke Plus levels. That map is outstanding! Unfortunately it froze on me after I beat the Battlelord, but christ that level is awesome.

As far as the numbers, the max is 2096 sectors, 16384 walls and 16384 sprites, right?

4096 sectors, but no one gets that high because they hit the wall limit first

I'm assuming that freeze you got was the eduke32 sound freeze as reported in other threads and was not a DP bug.

I'm going to release a DP update a little later tonight. I'll be away for a few days after tomorrow morning.

View Postdopefish, on Dec 24 2009, 01:45 AM, said:

I glad you liked it. It´s funny you didnt play it before since you was one of the guys that commented the most on the WIP thread :lol:

Don´t worry if it crashed after killing the battlelord, what´s next after that is just walking throught half of the level again to find a key reader.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSangman, on Dec 24 2009, 03:34 AM, said:

Huh? Maps instead of numbers? Well I guess one of Zaxtor's maps?

That'd be my guess as well.

View PostGambini, on Dec 24 2009, 05:02 AM, said:

I glad you liked it. It´s funny you didnt play it before since you was one of the guys that commented the most on the WIP thread :lol:

i think you have me confused with someone else...i only joined here a few days ago. :lol:

User is offline   NerdZilla 

View PostDeeperThought, on Dec 23 2009, 09:05 PM, said:

4096 sectors, but no one gets that high because they hit the wall limit first

I'm assuming that freeze you got was the eduke32 sound freeze as reported in other threads and was not a DP bug.

I'm going to release a DP update a little later tonight. I'll be away for a few days after tomorrow morning.

not with me, my biggest problem is a lack of secters for landscapes in high detail. unless its in a simcity2000 style, that eats up walls.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 24 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

View Postdopefish, on Dec 24 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

i think you have me confused with someone else...i only joined here a few days ago. :lol:

People should stop using ¨Dopefish¨ as screen name. There are so many of them :lol:

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Perhaps not as bad as creating a whole city in one map, that's gotta be tough. After being influenced by Postal 2, the Saints Row franchise, and Duke Theft Auto, all the GTA games thus far, to put together a whole, open sandbox map, I wonder if EDuke32 can take the stress, let alone with HRP and Polymer...I can't fathom how tough that'll be on framerate performance.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

A whole city isn't as much of a problem. The problem with most large environments is that the engine renders everything inside a sector if any part of the sector is visible. That means in a big open map you're rendering a ton of objects every frame. As long as you put barriers to the player's ability to view large numbers of sectors filled with stuff it would be possible to build something fairly extensive.

User is offline   Stabs 

heres something to try out, its a whole city to fly the skycar in while blasting dp recon cars, i posted it here before
Attached File  CITYFLIGHT.zip (124.38K)
Number of downloads: 252
all lighting is produced via polymer lights

i just made an intersection with 4 buildings, copy and paste voila, a city in 10 mins
chop out some blocks, add water make bridges , elevate terrain and make appropriate slopes to make sure its not a flat city, then all the small details come into it

Its the approach you take to a city map which is important and balancing your detail with a strict regime to ensure quality around the whole city can stay uniform, and you dont want to run out walls to :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options