Duke4.net Forums: good mods? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

good mods?

User is offline   Reks 

So just re-installed DN3D and the high-res pack and I've almost completed it again so im looking for a good finished mod to play.. what do you guys suggest?

User is offline   eddym4814 

Here are some popular mods: Popular Duke Mods

Click on the home page link on that page for more mods.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Are you looking for finished mods that use the HRP resources? Most finished mods/TCs use 8-bit art.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostDeeperThought, on Dec 16 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

Are you looking for finished mods that use the HRP resources? Most finished mods/TCs use 8-bit art.

I was going to suggest WG Realms, though obviously that choice depends on whether he wants strictly HRP content, and/or if the 'genre' of that mod is up his alley.

User is offline   Reks 

It doesn't matter. I like the old style also.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do you just mean fanmade mods? I thought Duke it out in D.C was great. Good maps, atmosphere, almost as if 3DR made it in my opinion. Just remember to download it's separate HRP from the HRP download page.

Actually I just realized it isn't as much as of a mod as an add on episode but meh. It's still good though.

User is offline   kenia 

here are also some mods:

http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

User is offline   Sebastian 

Everyone has to play Daikarin at least once in their life.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I have reviewed a bunch at my site. Most TCs are crap so don't waste your time trying something randomly.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Starship Troopers
Grins of Divinity
God of War

All can be found on Mikko's site.

Grins of Divinity was utter shit though.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRusty Nails, on Dec 16 2009, 03:15 PM, said:

Grins of Divinity was utter shit though.

Generally people who have shitty opinions don't parade the fact around.

I think it's safe to say Grins of Divinity didn't leave up to anyone's expectations, no? It had too massive of flaws to be anywhere near of an enjoyable experience, no matter how much time and effort was put into it.

This post has been edited by Rusty Nails: 16 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I found it quite enjoyable, and it has many landmark achievements in terms of con coding. It just didn't have the great art direction SST did.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Landmark achievements such as enemies that have incorrect hit boxes and jitter about in obviously random attack patterns? Or perhaps tons of map bugs and unclear goals?

I'd say that the ideas were there but the talent was not. Not to say that some of those people were untalented later or even now, in fact I'm sure it could be remade into what it was supposed to have been, but what we got wasn't it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You guys are silly, play it again. It's a fine mod.

• Evil Overlord

What makes you think I would enjoy it any more now when I'm older and have even less patience for bugs, poor presentation, and inconsistent gameplay? To me it's biggest redeeming quality is that by coding for it Reaper Man learned enough to work on AWOL, though that had its own set of problems (mostly in the fact that mappers never finished maps, but that's a different discussion entirely).

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 20 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

• Evil Overlord

Follow up:

Play the Suburbs demo if you haven't. Also Borg Nukem is pretty cool (though a bit quirky in places). Of course there's WGRealms, Duke Army, City Terror, Project X, The Christmas Project, Starship Troopers, Platoon, Fusion, Speedtrax (though maybe wait until the new multiplayer is released), and all the other crap I forgot. What's the one mod where you start on a ship and have to traverse a forest in medieval times?

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 20 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMblackwell, on Dec 20 2009, 10:56 PM, said:

What's the one mod where you start on a ship and have to traverse a forest in medieval times?

Wasn't that ages in time?

User is offline   Geoffrey 

GoD was flawed in many places but it's easy to see it has its qualities - the enemies were annoying as fuck but the level design was amazing at places (partially due to a great texture set that's on par with ssttc's) and it was oozing potential. So yeah, as a playable game it's not the best but if you look at it as a beta mod it's really quite enjoyable.

• Evil Overlord

View PostGeoffrey, on Dec 21 2009, 03:50 AM, said:

GoD was flawed in many places but it's easy to see it has its qualities - the enemies were annoying as fuck but the level design was amazing at places (partially due to a great texture set that's on par with ssttc's) and it was oozing potential. So yeah, as a playable game it's not the best but if you look at it as a beta mod it's really quite enjoyable.

Exactly. If that had just been a 0.5 Beta, I wouldn't complain so much I suppose. Also as I said, I'm sure people that were on the team at the time could do a much better job now if they tried to tackle it.

View PostForge, on Dec 21 2009, 12:45 AM, said:

Wasn't that ages in time?

Yes, I believe so. It was pretty incredible at the time.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 21 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You miss the point completely, he asked for good mods, and GoD is definitely that. It's underrated and I stated it because no one else probably would. Everyone's going to say WGR. GoD and SSTTC are both very important mods to the community, even if you don't acknowledge it.

• Evil Overlord

How was GoD important?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Until the release of Eduke it was the only mod with gibs that would lay on the ground. It had a money system. Timers, all kinds of other shit that never saw the light of day except for in SSTTC, or until Eduke32 came around.

User is offline   Jblade 

James Ferry's New world mods had money systems and civilians and stuff - it wasn't polished at all but it showed that things like that were capable, AND it was made using V1.3D

• Evil Overlord

That's the thing, GoD didn't set any bars, it just used what came before it. Not that there's anything wrong with that in theory.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I was never able to get any of Ferry's mods to work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options