Duke4.net Forums: Windows Duke Nukem 3D Launcher - will there be any call for an upgraded one? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Duke Nukem 3D Launcher - will there be any call for an upgraded one?

User is offline   AdamR 

As I've been playing Duke 3D again recently, I decided to upgrade the launcher that I knocked out 3 and a half years ago -- however I probably won't if nobody else requires it.

In my understanding, the following changes need to be made:
  • Multiple CON and DEF files to be selected for each game
  • Command parameters for each game
  • Remove the launch button for the setup utility, as it's no longer used (I'll replace it for a community button or something that goes to www.duke4.net)
  • Fix a bug that caused available group files to be added again every time you open the game management form
  • Move the game configuration file to the user area (%AppData%) -- mainly for Vista compatibility
  • Global game entry for groups and stuff that all games would use (like Duke3D.grp and Duke3D_HRP.zip)
  • Change the silly text file to a nice XML file
The project will be done from scratch. I did start doing this around the last post in that thread, but then plain forgot about it :)

Is there anything else you would like this launcher to do? I've read somewhere about TC's or something. I don't know what they are or how they work, but I suspect it may be desired to have it included.

Please post your thoughts :) I've attached my progress.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: WinDuke3DLauncher_1.0.0_Progress___Game_Tab.png
  • Attached Image: WinDuke3DLauncher_1.0.0_Progress___Options_Tab.png
  • Attached Image: WinDuke3DLauncher_1.0.0_Progress___Multi_Player_Tab.png
  • Attached Image: WinDuke3DLauncher_1.0.0_Progress___Launch_Tab.png
  • Attached Image: WinDuke3DLauncher_1.0.0_Progress___Game_Management.png

This post has been edited by AdamR: 28 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Interesting... I had on and off been working on something like that for old-skool FPS games, but have hit a Real Life Takes Priority situation and haven't worked on the program for a while; I will complete it eventually, though :)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Nice. There was that program PlayDuke that worked well but I haven't used it mostly because I haven't played in a while anything by the maps I have toyed with to test polymer etc. I suppose if there was a single well integrated program and worked well with multiplayer and mods things might get busier.

I know I would like a solid launcher for Duke.

User is offline   AdamR 

It's nearly finished now. I've just got to re-write the code that writes your games to file as I've moved from some crap text file to XML, fix some null instance crash, and re-write the code that builds the command line. The interface is fully completed -- as is the documentation.

User is offline   Skulldog 

Yea, I remember this program. It was a good multiplayer launcher. Good to see you are bring it back to life.
You need to use Duke3dw instead of jfduke.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 04 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

User is offline   AdamR 

Just letting you all know I've not forgotten about this (again).

I've been epically busy at work with many many Christmas overtime hours, have had a fairly small amount of time for myself :lol:
Since the Christmas rush is now over and there are less working hours I will be getting back to my app shortly.

Thanks for your patience :lol:

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm waiting for your new version so I can post it to the front page. I remember you e-mailed me about this. :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options