Duke4.net Forums: Just like to share something which I have worked on 10 years ago in Build for Duke3d. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just like to share something which I have worked on 10 years ago in Build for Duke3d.

User is offline   carlito 

Hi Everybody!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been watching and reading about HRP and new renderer for engine.
It reminded me how I was creating levels in "Build" some 10 and more years ago. :)

At that time I was trying to get good look of the levels and create smooth lighting and volumetric explosions.
Of course it was not as easy as I thought. So I was creating some more simple maps just for fun.

One day when I was playing with my friend on LAN, I got idea to make small DeathMatch map, and try to make it fun and small for 2-4 players.
Once I started, I got some ideas on how to make nice smooth lights, and one big explosion. so I added this to the map. (I added also some "custom" art's to the map, which I gathered at that time)

I would love to see how this would look in polymer engine (expecialy explosion), but my hardware just cannot swallow it.

Here are some screenshots, hope you like it (have in mind that this was made 10 or more years ago, so be gentle :) )
Also I will attach the map with art's if somebody like to check it... and maybe even make it better. ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen1.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen2.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen3.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen4.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen5.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen6.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen7.jpg
  • Attached Image: screen8.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

That kind of lighting is pretty basic these days, but yeah, it's pretty good, especially in the last shot.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 8 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

That kind of lighting is pretty basic these days, but yeah, it's pretty good, especially in the last shot.

I agree, today this looks completely stupid, if compared to any 3D engine with "dynamic lighting" after 1996. :)
This new engines like UT3 and CryEngine 2 are amaizing, I can Just imagine how the Duke would look in that.

But at that time this map was created it was quite interesting to see what build engine could show lights without any additional render.
Only drawback was that I had to create bunch additional sectors to emulate light dispersion. :)

User is offline   Sangman 

What Mikko meant was that the kind of shading you're using has been done plenty of times already in other Duke maps, it's not just about newer engines looking better :)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Mikko has a great way of killing the spirit of a potentially great mapper. :)

User is offline   Sebastian 

It looks great for a 10 year old map. Nice, clean, neat - the kinks!

User is offline   Stabs 

you get props from me for the lighting alone, just so wall / sector costly if you try to cover everything

great fading effects tho :)

User is offline   Hudson 

• Meat Popsicle

Awesome work man! For being made 10 years ago that's amazing :)

User is offline   SBG 

No point saying it again :) Great map but simple by today's standards. :)

Edit: I loaded up the map in Duke3D. It's really good! Fairly large for a DM match but I really like it: the weapons are a-plenty, and there's some wide-open places for big fights. Good job!

This post has been edited by SBG: 09 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

User is offline   Chip 

10 years ago, I had not long been 12 years old. :)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSangman, on Nov 9 2009, 01:53 AM, said:

What Mikko meant was that the kind of shading you're using has been done plenty of times already in other Duke maps, it's not just about newer engines looking better :)

Yeah, that is what I meant.

No doubt it does look good, just that lighting like that hasn't been remarkable since 1996.

(I like how you darkened some of the corners:)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: corner.gif

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 09 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hehe... well thanks anyway Mikko. :) And yeah, I had to do something about those corners.

View PostSBG, on Nov 9 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

No point saying it again :) Great map but simple by today's standards. ;)

Edit: I loaded up the map in Duke3D. It's really good! Fairly large for a DM match but I really like it: the weapons are a-plenty, and there's some wide-open places for big fights. Good job!

Well glad you like it. ;)

It would be interesting to see map with polimer rendering and with better textures (bumpmaps/specular etc...)

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Nice - I did the same thing when I started mapping: spend way way way too much time finetuning the shading, leaving me with a pile of unfinished testmaps (that I'd usually convert to bad dm maps by throwing some weapons in).

User is offline   NerdZilla 

this is still cool in my books.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options