Duke4.net Forums: Re-build of the Duke Nukem levels - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-build of the Duke Nukem levels  "Duke Nukem Re-build..."

User is offline   Piano Man 

HERE'S AN INTERESTING QUESTION... Since the community is updating the models, and textures of the Duke Nukem game - what about re-building the levels...

Although you cannot edit the 3Drealms original maps... what if you were to re-design each level from scratch... eg... the beginning of E1L1, you redesign the roof you land on - make it more modern and more realistic??? Add some vents and satellites, change the textures from the original... Could it be legal then?

That way you're using it as a BASIS, but not re-designing them??? Just merely building a new perception of the original???

Now that we have polymer is it time to think about maybe having fan-based re-builds of the original levels? Just to show what the mapster program is capable of??? Here's something I did just out of boredom to see what i could do.

I've only spent about 7 hours on it so far, but would like to see it through hopefully.

Very good Idea !

User is offline   Jblade 

Although you cannot edit the 3Drealms original maps...

Yes you can! Why do people keep saying you're not allowed to? As long as it can't be used without a copy of Duke (Which goes for every usermap ever) than it's ok. I remember that TerminX himself said so.

AWESOME!!!! Then I shall continue... If you can't already guess... I'm trying to re-create E1L1

Would this be a project that other people would be interested in??? I mean I definately can't create all 38 levels by myself....

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 07 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

This is definitely something I'd be interested in!!

I don't really know build so I won't be able to help, but I sure as hell would enjoy the holy crap out of the finished product just like so many other duke fans.

The levels themselves are WAYYY overdue for a remake and with the new polymer renderer, there's never been a better time to start such a project.

Here's my advice: Remake only E1L1 to the very best of your ability without even thinking about the other maps. Once you're done with that level, show it off and if it's of even remotely good quality, I'm sure others will be happy to lend you a hand and we'll have a full blown mod team in no time.

If you can produce a truly kick-ass recreation of E1L1, the potential will be seen everywhere by fellow mappers who will then be much more likely to devote their time to finishing complete rehash of Duke 3D.

It'll be like a dream come true to so many fans, and will greatly widen the appeal of Duke to so many other gamers who never played the original.

This could quite easily be the beginning of true comeback, drastically raising the demand for DNF and eventually having it see a release. :)

User is offline   SBG 

View PostDuke Rocks, on Nov 7 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

This is definitely something I'd be interested in!!

I don't really know build so I won't be able to help, but I sure as hell would enjoy the holy crap out of the finished product just like so many other duke fans.

The levels themselves are WAYYY overdue for a remake and with the new polymer renderer, there's never been a better time to start such a project.

Here's my advice: Remake only E1L1 to the very best of your ability without even thinking about the other maps. Once you're done with that level, show it off and if it's of even remotely good quality, I'm sure others will be happy to lend you a hand and we'll have a full blown mod team in no time.

If you can produce a truly kick-ass recreation of E1L1, the potential will be seen everywhere by fellow mappers who will then be much more likely to devote their time to finishing complete rehash of Duke 3D.

It'll be like a dream come true to so many fans, and will greatly widen the appeal of Duke to so many other gamers who never played the original.

This could quite easily be the beginning of true comeback, drastically raising the demand for DNF and eventually having it see a release. :)

Someone's feeling happy today :). I agree, though, that would be a great idea! If I knew build or mapster, I would help, but alas, I never found time to learn it. Maybe I will now, though!

Rebuilding the original levels? Are you sure that's legal?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're a jackass.

User is offline   Spiker 

Just make the maps.

User is offline   Antal 

I'd love to see Polymer lighting enchangements in the original maps, but preserve major original details whatever it should be more realistic or not. For example, in your screenshot get rid of the white/red striped barrels. Preserve the yellow gas canisters and get rid of the roof escape door thing and change the texture of upstand rooftop.

So, I want to ask: is your aim here to recreate the levels in a "Knee Deep in ZDoom" style where it's not just a lot more detail and lightning, but new places and extensions to each map, or something more simpler than that? o.o

View PostLord Misfit, on Nov 7 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

recreate the levels in a "Knee Deep in ZDoom" style

Although I don't like the HRP, this is surely a great idea. Hope it's legal.

User is offline   Mark 

I was bored one morning and slapped together a rooftop scene. You can blow open the grille and go inside a small control room. I never really planned on doing anything with it.

View PostLord Misfit, on Nov 8 2009, 03:32 AM, said:

So, I want to ask: is your aim here to recreate the levels in a "Knee Deep in ZDoom" style where it's not just a lot more detail and lightning, but new places and extensions to each map, or something more simpler than that? o.o

I'd like to keep the original concepts of the levels (So for instance, the E1L1 was based around a Cinematic Theatre, this of course I will keep and wouldn't dare change... but what I want to do is try and make the maps look less enclosed than they originally were and make them more like part of a proper city, as well as use the HRP and the polymer as much as possible to give it a fresh look).

I don't quite want to make extensions to the map, but I want to make it look visually extended, so that it looks more than a box that you're stuck inside. I also want to try and make the place a little more devoid of life and a little more crumbled and beaten since the aliens have landed here. A little more run down to make LA look a little more gritty.

View PostAntal, on Nov 8 2009, 03:11 AM, said:

I'd love to see Polymer lighting enchangements in the original maps, but preserve major original details whatever it should be more realistic or not. For example, in your screenshot get rid of the white/red striped barrels. Preserve the yellow gas canisters and get rid of the roof escape door thing and change the texture of upstand rooftop.

Erm... I'm not sure about that... it just seemed weird to have a roof without an access point to get to it. And the red barrels seemed to complement the roof better than the yellow gas cannisters... I'm just not happy with the way the yellow gas canisters look, they're not quite the same as the original sprites.

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 07 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

this is kind of what i did with the cinema in tta2, similar in regards

sky car crash
you start on a rooftop
you can blow open the side of the ticket booth or go around the back
projector room opens a secret when you jump on top of it
cinema screen blows up
has a video arcade

the whole layout is completely different but it has slight similarity's

User is offline   Antal 

View PostPiano Man, on Nov 8 2009, 03:45 AM, said:

Erm... I'm not sure about that... it just seemed weird to have a roof without an access point to get to it. And the red barrels seemed to complement the roof better than the yellow gas cannisters... I'm just not happy with the way the yellow gas canisters look, they're not quite the same as the original sprites.

In the story, didn't you get on the roof because of the skycar crash in the first place :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAntal, on Nov 8 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

In the story, didn't you get on the roof because of the skycar crash in the first place :)

Yes, because thats how the janitorial staff would do it.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

EDIT: never mind

This post has been edited by Marked: 08 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Antal 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 7 2009, 07:11 PM, said:

You're a jackass.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 8 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

Yes, because thats how the janitorial staff would do it.

Really. Nothing more 'awesome' to contribute?

This post has been edited by Antal: 09 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Your point is invalid, because these people are stupid. It's not like I was flaming someone with a legitimate response.

User is offline   Antal 

LOL, anyway. I'm curious how the progress is, Pianoman.

View PostAntal, on Nov 10 2009, 07:22 AM, said:

LOL, anyway. I'm curious how the progress is, Pianoman.

Slow right now - i do work here and there at all sorts of random hours of the day, so weekends is the only time I really get to manage work on it.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

ten years ago i made a remake of E1L1. my cody is'nt the one i fineshed. but you can still destroy most all the walls. it was fun because this was befor red faction. i bet now i could make it with even more depth?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options