Duke4.net Forums: Games Without Copy Protection - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Games Without Copy Protection

User is offline   Indexppeuc 

Then again they got around Steam in due time. If it can be made, it can be copied.

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

That's not what I meant, I meant it's funny copy protection is getting so annoying that even Steam isn't so bad in comparision with the other option :)

I had no issues activating my copy of BioShock... and I went retail, not STEAM. It took about two seconds and that was that.

And I don't mind the five time limit on installs with the game, every time you uninstall you get one back. So I don't see it as a big deal.... I only have it installed on one PC.
And that's it.

They are trying to take steps to stop people from letting their friends borrow games.

If that's the case why did they change the limit from 2 to 5?
Also, can't you fake an uninstall?

A big problem with this is if your HD crashes, you or something else happens that results in you losing the game, you lost an install forever.

Also, if it verifies while installing, can't you just burn the content of the game from explorer?

User is offline   Indexppeuc 

I don't know the full story behind it so I'm guessing they'll have a way around it, I doubt they would have overlooked something.

View PostCerberus_e, on Aug 29 2007, 04:51 AM, said:

If that's the case why did they change the limit from 2 to 5?
Also, can't you fake an uninstall?

A big problem with this is if your HD crashes, you or something else happens that results in you losing the game, you lost an install forever.

Also, if it verifies while installing, can't you just burn the content of the game from explorer?

They changed it from 2 to 5 because so many people were complaining. 2K is a publisher that actually cares about their consumers, so they've taken steps to make the gamers happy.

Yes, there are always what ifs... if a hard drive crashes, or your forced to reformat... you can contact Securom and get that install back. It's by a process of e-mail, or phone, or mail.
And 2K has already said after the big retail push for BioShock they will release a patch that removes Securom. Probably next year or the year after. They were trying to hinder pirates from playing the game early... which they did.
The 360 version was playable (pirated and retail) before the release date, but the PC version was not.
It wasn't until they released the demo that the PC version was cracked, by using the demo's exe file. 2K did a great job with security on BioShock.

And finally, the game does not verify while installing. You can install it any way you want... from the disc, burn the content to another disc and try... or do a manual install.
It doesn't matter... the game still won't work.

After the game is installed you double click the icon to play, the game then connects online, downloads the latest patch, and then connects to Securom's servers and asks for your activation code which is printed on the back of the manual.
You enter the code, the unlock your game (honestly... took me maybe two seconds) and then your off playing.

When you uninstall the game it connects online and works in a similar way, only it credits that activation code back an install. It's actually a good system... people were just complaining.
It makes it difficult to let a friend borrow your copy of the PC game this way, it makes it harder to burn a copy for a friend from your DVD. And the demo exe file won't work after the first patch is issued. They've already said they'll fix that.

Not only is it pretty hard to give your game to people, it's also very dangerous, you could lose all your installs if too much people get their hands on the serial.

Yep.

I think it's a great system, people are just bitching and throwing a fit because now they can't share copies with friends... and their friends have to actually buy a copy themselves.

Yes true, there are always the what ifs.... hard drive crashes, forced reformats... and so on. But these can be fixed by contacting 2K and Securom.

As long as they exist :)

Not true.

They will release a patch to remove Securom from BioShock after the retail push is over. So sometime next year, the patch should be issued.

So you don't need anything then? No check on internet? No DVD?

Apparently, once that patch is issued that is the idea.

They wanted the protection in place to help against pirating the game at release, and it helped. At release there were pirated versions of the 360 version.... but nobody had managed to pirate the PC version yet.

Even people who legally bought the game early couldn't play it until the 21st, the online center wouldn't activate the game until the 21st.

2K did a good job with this release IMO, and the protection wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I entered my code and the game was running in a matter of seconds.

Well if they remove that protection after a year I don't have a problem with that copy protection. Or there's still an argument I didn't think of :)

Added Igor: The Time Machine to the list. It's a geat game I can recommend to any Supaplex (or Boulderdash) fan :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options