Duke4.net Forums: Games Without Copy Protection - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Games Without Copy Protection

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

This thread is dedicated to games and their developers that are heroes in my eyes, bringing their game on the market WITHOUT COPYPROTECTION AT ALL!
No on line authentication, no CD/DVD checks, no CD keys for singleplayer, NOTHING!
Let's make a list here, of the games along with their developer. You can mention lots of old games if you want, but I'm especially interested in games from the last few years, as I like to support such games (I might prioritise them above games that do have copy protection, or give them the benefit of the doubt when I don't know if the game is worth it). I don't mention old games because there are too much to mention then B)

- Galactic Civilisations 2: Dread Lords [Stardock Systems]
- Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth [Headfirst/Bethesda/Ubisoft]
- Fallout [Interplay]
- Fallout 2 [Black Isle/Interplay]
- Igor: The Time Machine [Elmer Productions/Miraesoft]

Feel free to add, or correct if one of the games in the list DOES have copy protection :)

User is offline   avatar_58 

Err - Oblivion has a cd-check.

Really? How come Call of Cthulhu doesn't, then? I read on various places on the internet Oblivion doesn't have copy protection.

Posted Image

Maybe that's only for the US & Canada? :) B)

Why are you argueing when you don't own the game? :) Here is what is meant by 'no protection':

"
Bethesda have taken a major step in the fight against stupid, intrusive copy protection systems by not using troublesome protection software such as SecuROM or StarForce on Oblivion. These copy protection systems cause many problems and performance issues on most PCs, however fortunately Oblivion avoids these and simply has a basic DVD check in place. I can't provide you with the details of how to obtain a No-DVD patch for Oblivion for legal reasons, but I can say that keeping the disc in the drive does not impact on your performance at all."

http://www.tweakguid...Oblivion_4.html

Good, I removed Oblivion from the list :)
I still like Bethesda for bringing Call of Cthulhu on the market, without copy protection, though B)
and it helps the game itself is great too B)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Wow, i didn't know Copy protection affected the performance... :)
Now i hate it too... Grr..!

I started hating it as soon as I realised it's only harming costumers, while all pirates are getting it from their favourite IRC or usenet channel BEFORE it's released, with a noCD or noDVD crack also made BEFORE release.

Add Fallout 1 and 2 to this list, they don't need any CDs after install.

User is offline   laffer 

The Broken Sword double pack from Sold Out Software doesn't have copy protection. And it comes with ScummVM :)

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Duke 3D v1.3D doesn't need a disc. :)

Roger, on Oct 25 2006, 07:54 AM, said:

Duke 3D v1.3D doesn't need a disc. :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't it? The Atomic Edition does, although using Jonof/EDuke kind of circumvents it.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

It doesn't need the disc, I have a copy of both versions.

User is offline   laffer 

I know the addon requires the disc in the drive (Plutonium Pak) but the Atomic Edition (Duke 3D with addon) may not require it.

Anyway, XIII DVD version doesn't have any copy protection and neither does Beyond Good and Evil as far as I can tell.. I don't need the CD in the drive to launch the game at least.

You don't need to insert the CD but it's still protected... by "Sage" or something.

View PostRoger, on Oct 26 2006, 12:45 PM, said:

It doesn't need the disc, I have a copy of both versions.

Are you talking about both versions ? If so that is pretty weird since my copy of Atomic Edition requires the disc to be in the drive when launched.

Mine too.

User is offline   laffer 

The add-on requires the disc, the Atomic Edition (Duke 3D with the addon included) does not.. I think? I'm not sure at all though.

In any case, all it does is look for a 500 meg or so file on the CD, just copy that one to your harddrive (or was that another game.. hmm..)-

Another game, Duke3D has no 500 meg files :)

User is offline   laffer 

The addon does I think. It's just as a copy protection, I don't think the file actually does anything.

Oh and Cerb, for reference... the UK versions of Call of Cthulhu have StarForce. :)

US versions do not.

Weird, I got mine from an on line shop in the UK.
Is it the 2-CD version?

All copies are 2 disc.

No, you have DVDs too...
But the game doesn't ask for the DVD, so I doubt it's using Starforce. Where did you read that? This list has nothing:
http://www.boycottst....net/?page_id=3

User is offline   Indexppeuc 

May not be what you're asking for but I was pretty pissed when I looked this up.

You could only install BioShock 2 times but people where moaning about this and so they moved it up to 5 times. I still don't see how they can get away with this, its insane, I've never liked SecuROM utter waste of time.

Oh and its ment to install a Rootkit onto your machine, which is always nice. :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Indexppeuc: I totally agree. Increased protection on software will just encourage piracy. Legit customers will be turned off by faulty acvitation systems and be tempted to acquire their software by illegal means as to avoid going through the trouble of validation.

I always thought copy protection is stupid. I mean it doesn't help and legal customers are having trouble while prates don't feel the effects of copy protection at all :)

I didn't know about that in BioShock, it's terrible haha B) But how are they supposed to know much you've installed the game from that DVD?

User is offline   Indexppeuc 

The serial can only be used 5 times, un-like other games where you can use it as meny times as you like. I paid for mine off Steam to avoid this problem.

Quite ironical, going to Steam because it's a less annoying copy protection :) So now there are even worse copy protections than Steam, it's getting really ugly.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options