Duke4.net Forums: Connection problems vs xDuke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Connection problems vs xDuke?  "I am having problems joining/hosting with eDuke"

User is offline   Eternal 

Here's the layout. I can join and play with xDuke, but I can't host. The three ports applicable with Meltdown are opened. I can't play or host with eDuke. Any words?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

They use the same networking code and the same ports; if one works and not the other, you likely have some lame software firewall blocking executables from accessing the network. Windows includes one.

View PostTX, on Oct 9 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

They use the same networking code and the same ports; if one works and not the other, you likely have some lame software firewall blocking executables from accessing the network. Windows includes one.

I disabled the windows firewall completely but to no avail. And the exception for the programs have already been added. Any more suggestions?

• el fundador

There aren't any more suggestions; they use the exact same networking code. They aren't compatible or anything but the underlying networking code is nearly identical. If it works for one and not the other, something is allowing one and blocking the other, on either your end or your opponent's. You'll want to make sure you have the port open for both TCP and UDP, and make sure it's port 23513 just in case xDuke is using something else by default.

First of all play with YANG and not MELTDOWN. I always notice people who play with meltdown have problems, possibly because everyone uses YANG.
http://ny.duke4.net/

With Eduke32, make sure all players have the same version.

View PostWilliam Gee, on Oct 9 2009, 08:23 PM, said:

First of all play with YANG and not MELTDOWN. I always notice people who play with meltdown have problems, possibly because everyone uses YANG.
http://ny.duke4.net/

With Eduke32, make sure all players have the same version.

Same problem with Yang. I get this: * Trying master server 1, please wait...
* Error from master server: A test of connecting to your room has failed. It may just be a slow connection.
It's also possible that TCP port number 8501 is not forwarded in your network.

And no one can join.

Where my networking gurus at?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You have not forwarded your ports correctly then if it's saying "It's also possible that TCP port number 8501 is not forwarded in your network."

I've forwarded the three different ports it says to in TCP and UDP. I don't know how that could be wrong.

Bump for great justice.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostEternal, on Oct 9 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

I've forwarded the three different ports it says to in TCP and UDP. I don't know how that could be wrong.

As far as I know there are only two ports you need to forward.

8501(TCP) and 23513(UDP).

You sure you have that exactly right?

Checklist:
Same/Latest version of Eduke32/xDuke.
Same version of any mod files like Dukeplus or any total conversions.
Same/Latest version of YANG.
Both numbers forwarded properly in your router.
Add Exceptions for xDuke/Eduke32 in windows firewall, make sure exceptions are enabled.

I know most of that was already covered, but I figured i'd just throw it all out there again anyway.

All program versions are current. I can now join games with Yang and Meltdown with both eDuke (with hires) and xDuke. I can only not host. Ports forwarded through personal firewall and through router. Exceptions in firewall added for both Dukes, Meltdown, and Yang. Anything else?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostEternal, on Oct 10 2009, 02:46 PM, said:

All program versions are current. I can now join games with Yang and Meltdown with both eDuke (with hires) and xDuke. I can only not host. Ports forwarded through personal firewall and through router. Exceptions in firewall added for both Dukes, Meltdown, and Yang. Anything else?

This is a bit of a desperate act, but try deleting your config file and starting from scratch with that. I dont know why but sometimes me and VinsaneOne have had trouble with the config files causing problems. The whole process tends to be finnicky with a lot of unknown variables.

Are you using any special peripherals for example? Like a Joystick?

• el fundador

The only other thing I can think of with you not being able to host would be if your ISP is somehow interfering in the connection process. Placing you behind automatic NAT, not allowing listening ports for customers, et cetera.

At any rate, you're either being blocked at the network level or you've configured something wrong. Not too many other ideas... why don't you post some screenshots of the firewall exceptions you've added for those ports? We'll start there.

User is offline   Axter 

I'm posting this for anyone having similar problem host a game:

I have a setup at home where I have 6 PC's, and only 1 out of the 6 PC's was able to host a game using Meltdown.
This really puzzled me at first, because that particular PC was exactly the same as one of the others.
After spending a week trying to see if I could find a software configuration difference, I finally found the problem.
The problem was in the router and not the PC. I initially ruled out the router, because I figured if it worked with one PC, it should be able to work with the others.

Issue:
On the router, I had configured port forwarding for each IP address and for both 8501 and 23513. The PC that was working had its IP address listed first on the port forwarding list, and that's why that was the only PC that worked. When I changed the first IP address listed to anther PC, than that PC would start working, and the other PC's would fail.
This means the router only uses the first IP address which matches the targeted port, and disregards the other IP's listed on the router, even if they also match the targeted port number.

FIX:
To fix this problem on a Linksys Cable Modem router, I had to configure a different port number on each PC, and then configure port triggering on the router to forward all ports to the standard ports.
Example:
192.168.0.10 8500 23510
192.168.0.11 8501 23511
192.168.0.12 8502 23512
192.168.0.13 8503 23513
192.168.0.14 8504 23514
192.168.0.15 8505 23515

On the router, the above IP's and ports were configured for port forwarding.
The router also has a port triggering option, and I configured it as follow:
8500 to 8509 redirect-to 8501
23510 to 23519 redirect-to 23513

I than had to change the Meltdown settings on each PC with its associated IP address to the preserved port numbers.

Now all the PC's work to host games. This configuration allows the PC's to host different games, and they can still connect to a single game being hosted by any one of them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options