Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Surround Sound/EAX? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Surround Sound/EAX?  "5.1 surround sound not working"

User is offline   Ransu 

Hi, I downloaded EDuke32 and noticed that I'm not getting surround sound. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card and I tried Creative ALchemy, but it's still not working. The dsoundlog.txt file shows this:

Loaded F:\Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition\EDuke32\dsound.ini

Using Native OpenAL Renderer

Does anyone have a solution to this? :o

User is offline   NY00123 

My knowledge tells that OpenAL was used for OGG music playback before, and that's it basically. No support for surround sound (if you mean something like 5.1 channels).
On a relevant note, there's now an alternate way of playing OGG voice, written by JonoF. But surround sound is still not supported, and it looks like this will be the case in the future as well.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 09 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

OpenAL is not used anymore.

User is offline   Ransu 

Most of the Doom source ports have surround sound, EAX, OpenAL, etc but Duke doesn't get any of the awesome audio action? Why not?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah but Duke has the amazing Polymer renderer that none of those Doom ports have. Still, I'd like to see some advanced audio features in EDuke32 someday.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Doomsday has some comparable stuff.

User is offline   Ransu 

Well, not to be mean or anything, but this source port seems mostly decked out for graphics with no modern audio support. I mean the polymer rendering is a pretty nice breakthrough, but having better audio would be nice. Could better audio support be added, please?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 5 2010, 10:11 PM, said:

Doomsday has some comparable stuff.

No where near as nice and advanced as Polymer.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRansu, on Aug 18 2010, 01:31 PM, said:

Well, not to be mean or anything, but this source port seems mostly decked out for graphics with no modern audio support. I mean the polymer rendering is a pretty nice breakthrough, but having better audio would be nice. Could better audio support be added, please?

We're fucking lucky to have OGG in the first place. If I knew how to program, I would add moar formats.

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not just file formats, he's mentioning surround sound and EAX as well. It would be nice, for instance, to have some really nice reverb effects of various types and features that could be defined with a unique sector hitag or lotag or something. The vanilla reverb is pretty horrible. Think of shooting your pistol in The Abyss and hearing it echo across the canyon.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Aug 18 2010, 05:56 PM, said:

No where near as nice and advanced as Polymer.

Doomsday engine features no buggy dynamic lights and cubemap reflection on faces. neither both things could be achieved by polymer at the moment. Light halos clip sprites and eachother for instance.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 19 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Once more with English.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Gambini, have you experienced a bug with the lights? Do you have screenshots showing what's going wrong?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options