Duke4.net Forums: Real DNF...ish mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Real DNF...ish mod  "NOT just an idea post, actual progress made...and screenshots!"

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

Posted Image

This is a start to a DNF mod I've been working on for a few weeks, My vision is to replace all of the models in the HRP, and create new levels based on DNF.
The HRP did a great job of creating 3d models from the 8-bit sprites, but I want to modernise them as a part of this mod.
At the moment I am going to be concentrating on weapons/pickups and Duke.

I need help! I need some one to animate the models, I can't animate to save my life!
I would also like help on creating the eniemies, human characters I can do, but I'm having trouble creating the aliens (not something I've really done before).

Also I need someone who can code, I would like duke to be holding the right weapons in multiplayer etc, instead of having an icon floating above his head (which personally I think looks really bad). Anyway I was wondering if i made, 10 different player models (one for each weapon) then maybe it would be possible to code in something that would make the game swap player models, to correspond to which weapon has been activated by the player.
i.e.
Player model 1 - holing pistol
Player model 2 -holding shotgun e.t.c

When player selects pistol, use player model 1. When player selects shotgun, use player model 2, and so on.

Screenshots
Colt 1911
Minigun (to replace chaingun)
Shrinker / Expander

Shark

Duke
Duke Multiview

Multiplayer skins
Punisher
Combat 1
Combat 2
Duke 4 eva
Duke "Ash" (This skin is based on ash, from Evil Dead 3)

Progress at the moment is a bit slow, if I can't get an animator, this project is pretty much dead in the water. So, if anyone wishes to offer their services, I would be very grateful. :o

P.S.
The shark was not made by me. ;)

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 18 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostXenoMatriX, on Sep 16 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Progress at the moment is a bit slow, if I can't get an animator, this project is pretty much dead in the water. So, if anyone wishes to offer their services, I would be very grateful. :o

You should learn how to rig and animate them yourself. Your minigun seems like a good place to start, since all you have to do is make the barrel rotate. If you do that and export it to md3, I could put it in Duke Plus. I have wanted a minigun for a long time (although my preferred option is to make the battlelord's gatling gun into a usable weapon that drops when the battlelord dies).

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

This looks good! the shrinker is looking at its best I think.I would love to model for you but right now my computer does'nt have enough disk space for 3d max,zbrush, or anything else that big :o

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Wow, very impressive work so far!!

I really hope this mod takes off, it's just what I've been yearning for....if only I could animate!

But there are a bunch of modding sites where you can inquire for help; I'm sure at least several people here would be able to name some- or, better yet, help you themselves. :o

Best of luck, can't wait to see more!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Your duke model is worse than the one in the HRP. The Colt is really awesome though.
Also, I would say this is still an idea. A mod doesn't really take off as being legit until there is some code and preliminary maps in progress. You just have a few unanimated models.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 16 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 16 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

Your duke model is worse than the one in the HRP.

I think it looks a little bit better, it just needs more careful work mostly on the glasses and lips

User is offline   Stabs 

great stuff

why not come and help work on Duke Nukem Eternity, new content like that would be great esp the colt, just double the pistol dmg, half its clip size and firing rate & give it a chunkier fire sound that would be great.
minigun is awsome too

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The Shrinker / Expander looks like a highly modified Portal gun. :o

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Sep 16 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

great stuff

why not come and help work on Duke Nukem Eternity, new content like that would be great esp the colt, just double the pistol dmg, half its clip size and firing rate & give it a chunkier fire sound that would be great.
minigun is awsome too

Yes, I agree. It's stupid to have multiple, similar projects going. Combine your resources and actually get something finished. As I've indicated, I would be willing to code the weapons, as subweapons for DP/DNE

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I agree. Help out with that Duke Nukem Eternity project and get something cool happening. Remember, separation is stagnation, especially when projects have big goals!

If you guys really want to do this thing right, you need to drop support for 8-bit mode completely and rework all of the CON code (the actions, AI states, everything else) to be completely model centric instead of the way things are strung together with the HRP now with models forced on top of code designed for sprites.

User is offline   Stabs 

well at the moment everything custom in DNE runs from a single zip, with a custom Duke_hrp.def and additional textures and models are being added that way, the models have there own art files and tile, my textures are just pal 40+ variants. ive got 4 maps

2 being heavily worked on,
1 which just needs poly lights and extension,
and another which is going to be retextured, choped up, re-arranged & extended

ther other ones exists in my head, iam going to try and string them together to tell a story, some lvls will be more heavily narrated with quoting to set the story and tell the plot, i don't want people reading all the time, its a game not a novel

As for new stuff some gameplay tweaks and such would be great, a new weapon and a new enemy, thats all an addon pack was back in the day
and as for a new enemy a heavy assault trooper would be good, wearing a visor, heavier armor and a shoulder cannon would be kickass and let me use aliens more (which are behind the bulk of the invasion) as the current ones are just too piss weak, i wouldn't have to use a pigcop / liztroop combo most of the time for a fair amount of difficulty.

but if I have new stuff which is good and your willing to offer it i will use it. but i dont want to rush it and i dont want a cheap mod either, lets spend some time and make something great.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I agree, the two of you combining effort would produce something great. You've obviously got a good modeling thing going, and that's always been a rare skill in the community, and DanM's mod has a good running start on levels.

Well, I have to agree this project is a little ambitious to do on my own, I'll be more than happy to offer my service towards DNE.

I will work on animating the pistol for your use, and the minigun which Deeperthought expressed some interest in.

I will however continue to develop this idea in the background until it is at a stage where it can be released as a weapons / model pack.

It may take a while for the animating, as it will be a bit of learning curve (plus I have a full time job, Damn the real world!)
In the mean time if you can think of any other models you require let me know.

I would also be grateful if you can PM me some screen shots, and explain the story behind DNE.

User is offline   Stabs 

thats totally fine

ill pm you some screenies and story, now ive also got to go deal with that BS called "fulltime work"

User is offline   Devon 

i like it :o

User is offline   TURBOKID 

This looks good, but i would appreciate not being ridiculed in peoples posts.
That aside yes my post was just an idea, and i am glad to see someone actually doing this.
Keep up the good work

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDISRUPTOR, on Sep 19 2009, 11:27 AM, said:

i would appreciate not being ridiculed in peoples posts.

When were you?

User is offline   Gambini 

Doesn´t happen to be the guy behind that ¨Ultra resolution pack mod¨ right?

This post has been edited by Gambini: 19 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostGambini, on Sep 19 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

Doesn´t happen to be the guy behind that ¨Ultra resolution pack mod¨ right?

Wrong
That was gommorrha
He had stolen legs from half life or something stupid like that

I don't like the idea of replacing the ripper

User is offline   Stabs 

its going to be another addition to the duke plus weapons
need 3 classes of auto firing weapons, one with a small clip (mp5) large clip ripper (100 bullets ) no clip (minigun)

got alot done on the maps this weekend, made some new content and started using a new skybox
they are starting to take shape and gameplay is being worked into some areas now.

This post has been edited by DanM: 20 September 2009 - 06:40 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Sep 20 2009, 07:39 AM, said:

its going to be another addition to the duke plus weapons
need 3 classes of auto firing weapons, one with a small clip (mp5) large clip ripper (100 bullets ) no clip (minigun)

Why do you want to use the ripper at all? There's already going to be two weapons on the same key with the mp5 and minigun. Imo, having three will be cumbersome.

View PostDeeperThought, on Sep 20 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

Why do you want to use the ripper at all? There's already going to be two weapons on the same key with the mp5 and minigun. Imo, having three will be cumbersome.

Because the ripper is a trademark duke weapon, and if you just want a mini gun you might as well play doom.
Just my opinion

User is offline   Stabs 

well an mp5 option to replace the ripper as usual and the chain gun can just be a secondary pickup like the laser pistol would probably work best and keep everyone happy, chaingun should chew ammo quicker but be more damaging in terms of working it in there as something different rather than just a replacement model for the ripper.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Sep 20 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

well an mp5 option to replace the ripper as usual and the chain gun can just be a secondary pickup like the laser pistol would probably work best and keep everyone happy, chaingun should chew ammo quicker but be more damaging in terms of working it in there as something different rather than just a replacement model for the ripper.

I would definitely code the chaingun/minigun/gatling gun (whatever we call it) to be different from the ripper. I would probably use some variation on the code from WGR2, where it spins up gradually until reaching the full firing rate.

View PostDanM, on Sep 20 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

That sounds like a plan :o

Ok, I've managed to animate the minigun model (I think).

I can't test it in game though because I'm having trouble writing the DEF for it, Here what I've got so far:

// Minigun (2536)
model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2536.md3" {
scale 1.9
skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2536.png" }
frame { name "idle" tile 2537 }
hud { tile 2537 xadd 0.1 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.68 angadd -12 }
frame { name "fire" tile0 2538 tile1 2539 tile2 2540 }
hud { tile 2536 hide }
}

Now I know there is supposed to be a line about the animation somewhere, but I'm not sure where it should go. :o

Can someone give me a few pointers?

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 10 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostXenoMatriX, on Oct 10 2009, 04:53 AM, said:

Ok, I've managed to animate the minigun model (I think).

I can't test it in game though because I'm having trouble writing the DEF for it, Here what I've got so far:

// Minigun (2536)
model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2536.md3" {
scale 1.9
skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2536.png" }
frame { name "idle" tile 2537 }
hud { tile 2537 xadd 0.1 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.68 angadd -12 }
frame { name "fire" tile0 2538 tile1 2539 tile2 2540 }
hud { tile 2536 hide }
}

Now I know there is supposed to be a line about the animation somewhere, but I'm not sure where it should go. :o

Can someone give me a few pointers?

Here's an example taken from my Pulse Rifle.

anim { frame0 "idle1" frame1 "idle22" fps 80 flags 0} // tells the begining and end of the animation and the framerate, and any flags.
frame { name "idle1" tile 2524 } // First frame goes on this tile... sometimes you have it like you do where it references two or more tiles.

Well this lasted long.
Take it this has been trashed now?
If i am honest i was looking forward to seeing this one.

Don't - Ressurrect - Dead - Mummy - Post.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options