Duke4.net Forums: How Many People Are Working On Dnf? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Many People Are Working On Dnf?

User is offline   Tigerix 

Hi Guys,

I was too shy to ask in the 3DRealms DNF Forum after I read the FAQ....So I try it here B)

As you might guess: I love Duke Nukem and I cant wait for DNF.
I cant take this anymore: "When its done" it`s too much for me :)

So, I am very curious if this project is under active development! And if yes, how many people are currently working on it? Or do they just work on it in their spare time? I really dont have a clue, how they can keep going for 10 Years on this software project! The people in the development team must have get bored since a long time! I have watched a report about the development of the movie finding nemo... And they even said its hard to work on such a big project for 3 years - not knowing how is it going to be at the end. So how about 10 Years!!?

Can I ask an "DNF Expert" here, who has followed the development process and can tell me a bit about, what the guys are doing over there?

Thanks a lot for your answers/ideas/dreams/help in advance!
Tigerix

User is offline   oakman 

Tigerix, on Jul 25 2006, 07:10 PM, said:

Hi Guys,

I was too shy to ask in the 3DRealms DNF Forum after I read the FAQ....So I try it here B)

So, I am very curious if this project is under active development! And if yes, how many people are currently working on it? Or do they just work on it in their spare time? I really dont have a clue, how they can keep going for 10 Years on this software project! The people in the development team must have get bored since a long time! I have watched a report about the development of the movie finding nemo... And they even said its hard to work on such a big project for 3 years - not knowing how is it going to be at the end. So how about 10 Years!!?

Can I ask an "DNF Expert" here, who has followed the development process and can tell me a bit about, what the guys are doing over there?

Tigerix
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm thats a toughy, we realy don't know. 3DR Bleeped out the name of the guy whos doing the music for it in YATTA's post

-We know for sure George B.
-**** ****** <- Who ever he is is the music guy.
-Maybe Scott Miller
-John St. John of course
-I think evan Joe Siegler did a voice over for a random guy in the game

We realy don't know But they got tons of people
Programers, level designers, 3d modlers, all that good stuff
BTW best keep this post here B) for safety reasons.

Oh As for the spare time though, back in the 90's 3DR killed the prey project to work on DNF, and they've been working ever since.

User is offline   Halcyon 

Tigerix, on Jul 26 2006, 01:10 AM, said:

So, I am very curious if this project is under active development!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Counterquestion: Why shouldn't it be in development any longer? If that would be the case, 3D Realms would have already told that to the public. Also, they wouldn't still have a DNF forum on their website.

Also the current game isn't in development for 10 years, it's in development since the beginning of 2003 (content-wise). The earlier stuff was scrapped and is gone for good.

Tigerix, on Jul 26 2006, 01:10 AM, said:

Hi Guys,

Tigerix
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are around 30 people on the DNF team. Among them Allen Blum who made half of the levels in Duke3D.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

what the guys are doing over there?

My guess... B)
3DRealms didn't officially start the project until January 1998, when they were handed code for the Quake II Engine.
All went well and they showed it at E3 1998.
Shortly after they realised the things they wanted to do pushed the Quake2 engine beyond it's limits and modifying it would take so much time that they decided to switch to the Unreal engine.
Since they only had been working on the Quake stuff for a couple of months, it was the easiest way and better in the long run.
The Unreal engine has since they started working with it been updated/overhauled many times to the point it now is Unreal 3.0 Engine quality or beyond.
Why it takes 3DRealms so long? Bad strategy? Disorganized? Stuck in the 90's? :) Small team? Time consuming goals?
I don't know and don't care really, it's none of our business.
Some people left 3DR(frustrated maybe, or just moving on, seeking new challenge). Plenty new and fresh people were hired.
If in the end we all get a good game, then who cares?
With all the problems they had to hurdle they could have quit, scrap DNF and do some other game.
Glad they didn't quit, and i just wait some more.

User is offline   oakman 

RedSplat, on Jul 26 2006, 07:13 AM, said:

My guess... :)
3DRealms didn't officially start the project until January 1998, when they were handed code for the Quake II Engine.
All went well and they showed it at E3 1998.
Shortly after they realised the things they wanted to do pushed the Quake2 engine beyond it's limits and modifying it would take so much time that they decided to switch to the Unreal engine.
Since they only had been working on the Quake stuff for a couple of months, it was the easiest way and better in the long run.
The Unreal engine has since they started working with it been updated/overhauled many times to the point it now is Unreal 3.0 Engine quality or beyond.
Why it takes 3DRealms so long? Bad strategy?  Disorganized?  Stuck in the 90's? B)  Small team? Time consuming goals? 
I don't know and don't care really, it's none of our business.
Some people left 3DR(frustrated maybe, or just moving on, seeking new challenge). Plenty new and fresh people were hired. 
If in the end we all get a good game, then who cares? 
With all the problems they had to hurdle they could have quit, scrap DNF and do some other game.
Glad they didn't quit, and i just wait some more.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put red B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options