Duke4.net Forums: Is there a mod that allows you to pilot the LARD enemies' flying craft? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a mod that allows you to pilot the LARD enemies' flying craft?

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Has anyone ever created a mod that lets you fly/pilot the flying crafts that the LARD enemies use in various levels? Granted, they would be limited to small parts of the maps, but it would be interesting to fly them and shoot the enemies using the craft's gun.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's a good idea but we would need a voxel or sprites of the empty recon for the player to get into, and also a voxel/sprites of the craft with Duke in it and/or sprites to put on the hud when flying for 1st person.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostDanukem, on 23 September 2024 - 09:56 AM, said:

It's a good idea but we would need a voxel or sprites of the empty recon for the player to get into, and also a voxel/sprites of the craft with Duke in it and/or sprites to put on the hud when flying for 1st person.

Didn't you pretty much already done the same thing with that red Duke's flying car in DNWMD/Duke Plus? I'm pretty sure this thread is not about the fancy shark face on the cockpit, but rather the experience of flying :)

User is offline   VGames 

I’ve considered adding this in my mod for both the recon and tank vehicles but didn’t because of how underpowered they’d be compared to the standard arsenal in my mod. However, if the player wants to use them why shouldn’t they be able to. You’ve rekindled my original plans to do so. I've already added an attack helicopter, a full-size tank, and a 2 storied mech so these will be much easier.

This post has been edited by VGames: 23 September 2024 - 02:52 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostVGames, on 23 September 2024 - 01:56 PM, said:

I’ve considered adding this in my mod for both the recon and tank vehicles but didn’t because of how underpowered they’d be compared to the standard arsenal in my mod. However, if the player wants to use them why shouldn’t they be able to. You’ve rekindled my original plans to do so. I've already added an attack helicopter, a full-size tank, and a 2 storied mech so these will be much easier.

It's a video game tradition to make the enemy thing more powerful when wielded by the player. Just give the vehicles much higher firing rate when the player has them, and of course infinite ammo.

The only obstacle for me is lacking the art assets like I said.

User is offline   VGames 

Danukem, on 23 September 2024 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's a video game tradition to make the enemy thing more powerful when wielded by the player. Just give the vehicles much higher firing rate when the player has them, and of course infinite ammo.

The only obstacle for me is lacking the art assets like I said.

That’s a good point. I made the enemy weapons that u can pick up a little tougher compared to when the enemy uses them so it won’t hurt to make these vehicles stronger somehow.

User is offline   Mark 

As a quick test I loaded up TeaMonster's pigtank model, removed the pig and hopped inside for a look. The tank gun barrels and treads are not visible when looking down or side to side. I guess something would have to be made from scratch to show a glimpse of those things, but it would be a relatively simple model to make to use as-is or make a sprite from.

I made a quick mockup moving the guns forward in 1st person view. The final version could have hands on throttle sticks or steering wheel, whatever tanks actually use.

Added a duke palette version.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pigtank mockup.jpg
  • Attached Image: pigtank mockup duke pal.png

This post has been edited by Mark: Yesterday, 04:05 PM

User is offline   VGames 

Mark, on 25 September 2024 - 03:12 PM, said:

As a quick test I loaded up TeaMonster's pigtank model, removed the pig and hopped inside for a look. The tank gun barrels and treads are not visible when looking down or side to side. I guess something would have to be made from scratch to show a glimpse of those things, but it would be a relatively simple model to make to use as-is or make a sprite from.

I made a quick mockup moving the guns forward in 1st person view. The final version could have hands on throttle sticks or steering wheel, whatever tanks actually use.

Added a duke palette version.

Would it be alright if I used this when I add it to my mod? Would save me some time. I’m glad I removed third person mode in Duke because I don’t have to worry about that side of adding cool stuff like this.

User is offline   Mark 

Sure, go ahead and use it.

Well, we already had both, in a certain sense, a driveable flying patrol LARD vehicle and, in an actual sense, a LARD tank years ago. In Duke Nukem Weapon Of Mass Destruction mod (and Dukeplus even I guess) you can drive the Rigelatin/Duke Skycar, which if you replace with a LARD vehicle you don't have much difference. As for the LARD tank, in Naferias Reign The Dark Mistress mod you can drive THREE type of random spawn LARD tanks, maybe including the Scorpion tank, complete with the internal view made for Misfit with all the effects that follows.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: Today, 05:43 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options