Duke4.net Forums: Websites or YouTube channels that go over Duke Nukem 3D mechanics in detail? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Websites or YouTube channels that go over Duke Nukem 3D mechanics in detail?

User is offline   ixfd64 

I recently picked up an interest in "boomer shooters" again and have been fascinated by the internal workings of the classic Doom engine. There is a lot of documentation on the Doom Wiki about things like bugs and monster behavior, and the YouTuber "decino" also does deep dives into game mechanics. Are there any similar resources for Duke Nukem 3D or other Build engine games?

The closest thing I've found so far is a series of posts on Fabien Sanglard's website.

User is offline   ck3D 

There is some stuff but I wouldn't recommend trusting YouTube all that much for concrete information about Build; it's a different engine from Doom that is wired in a dynamic way that lends itself to linear video tutorials a lot less (instead being more suitable for text references you can go back to, in which case you could use the Infosuite https://infosuite.duke4.net and the EDuke32 wiki). There also is a lot of disinformation on there from YouTubers who think claiming the Build engine is their ticket to going viral but in reality they know zero about it. The amount of accurate information is exceptional and tends to be more or less lifted from the Infosuite and/or EDuke wiki anyway.

One channel I'd recommend checking out is Nacho/TLOD's weekly streams: https://www.youtube....helegendofdevon they are to me the most fitting format to present the engine as they are half user map playthroughs where the levels get thoroughly scrutinized (also in the editor), and half mapping streams that directly show the trial and error process.

User is offline   ixfd64 

Thanks for the response. I checked the InfoSuite again and found the Oddities page does contain some interesting information about game mechanics. It would be cool to add that to the Duke Nukem 3D or EDuke32 wikis.

And the YouTube channel you mentioned certainly fits what I'm looking for.

This post has been edited by ixfd64: 11 September 2024 - 10:59 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Revenant Evil sort of does, or at least, his videos related to Duke can be quite interesting.

User is offline   ck3D 

Revenant Evil is cool, that channel fact checks their stuff directly on the Duke4 Discord. High Treason's channel is another good one - check out his 'mapping taboos' series. A lot of the rest is going to be people making things up about mirrors supposedly running on sector effectors or inventing imaginary teleporters everywhere - stay away from that type at all costs (it does get lots of naive views, too).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 12 September 2024 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   ixfd64 

Thanks, I'll check out those as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options