Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Factory Parking - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Factory Parking  "Another abstract Doom-style map from me"

Here's Factory Parking - it's a Doom-style map (more abstract and less realistic, among other things) that takes place in some parking lots/garages that have been invaded by the aliens.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0003.png

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 27 June 2024 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   Rorschach 

View PostToiletDuck64, on 27 June 2024 - 10:26 AM, said:

Here's Factory Parking - it's a Doom-style map (more abstract and less realistic, among other things) that takes place in some parking lots/garages that have been invaded by the aliens.

A very enjoyable 20 minute romp. Thanks.

(Might go back for the 2 secrets I missed...)

User is offline   juvenite 

'twas a short sweet lil' map. As a pistol enjoyer, I appreciate the vast amount of pistol clips.

The fight with minibosses and commanders were fun too, and the piss-yellow skybox does establish some old doom-esque vibes along with the textures. There was a bit too much hitscan in open areas for my taste, and the door passages were a bit too small (even for doom) but honestly they're small nitpicks, didn't detract much from the experience.

User is offline   ck3D 

Mikko's review (as apparently he kept running into issues with Shifting Sand Land): https://msdn.duke4.n...toryparking.php

User is offline   jkas789 

Very fun map mate, thanks for the hard work! I did not find all the secrets but I may go back to find them all. It took me way more time than what is probably supposed to take to beat the map (40 mins) because after the pig cops I decided to play it safe but I recon that I could take it sub 20 in my next run.

It doesn't feel like Doom though. It's just empty and huge, with scarce items, repetitive layout, no slopes, no switches and extra stuff. Basically what you've got is a noob-style map. Also I didn't find fun trying to defeat several battlelords in an open location without having enough rockets, so I had to cheat on those ones.

A few tips to make a map look and feel more like Doom:
  • Use sprites for wall trimwork that is absent from Duke tilesets (same for scenery)
  • Shade walls like Doom does (W and E walls are brighter than N and S walls)
  • Use lighting effects like random lights, cyclers etc.
  • Tune down the visibility fog (it doesn't work right in Duke3D, making everything pitch black in the distance, while Doom has a "torch" effect instead)
  • Scale your map accordingly; don't stretch or shrink textures from their normal size
  • Align everything to the grid (as Doom didn't have floor/ceiling panning feature)
  • Keep the visible wall count small (mind the visplane overflow!)
  • Use texture choices that are reminiscent of Doom
  • Use masking walls that don't repeat y-wise
  • Finish level with a switch, not a nukebutton

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 21 July 2024 - 09:25 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options