• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[.RELEASE.] Memories  "Nostalgic level. I just wanna go back."

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

Hello everyone!

I wanted to surprise you with my new level, which, as you might've guessed, takes inspiration from the classic Duke 3D maps. I was feeling very nostalgic lately, and this level is very much inspired by that distant feeling! It features some cool places, such as Irish Pub and Pharmacy, which are done in low-fi, oldscool 90's style. I think, this style of mapping is very innocent and pure in its nature, and hopefully, my level reflects that. Some of the areas are sampled from original Duke 3D maps. Can you guess which ones?

To make it more interesting, I added some new graphics and gameplay items, which spice up the action somewhat. Level is pretty short, but I hope you'll get a kick from some of these gimmicks. Especially the new Bonus Backpack, which gives you random items that you might need to finish the map!

I'll have to warn you, though. Due to my long absence from DN3D mapping scene, my memories of the level editor have become rusty. So, there could be bugs, bad balancing and misaligned textures on this level. God knows, I can't seem to figure out how to fix some of these. If you find them, please post your findings in this thread and, if you can, add your suggestions on how to fix them. Any help is very much appreciated!! I just wanna go back.

"Let's Rock" recommended for first playthrough.
Don't play with Polymer!
This map can be challenging! Do multiple saves or you won't get far.

DOWNLOAD (Latest EDuke32 required!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

Just finished now. Took me a little longer than I anticipated and I still missed 4 secrets.

It's good to see you back. I really enjoyed playing all your mods back in the day (that maze on A.Dream Trilogy still haunts my nightmares from time to time), so I couldn't help but feel a little ecstatic when you came back like that; even with such an unassuming, conservative type of map.

Sometimes you just gotta return to your roots, I guess...

Spoiler

Dr.Panico, on 26 March 2024 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just finished now. Took me a little longer than I anticipated and I still missed 4 secrets.

It's good to see you back. I really enjoyed playing all your mods back in the day (that maze on A.Dream Trilogy still haunts my nightmares from time to time), so I couldn't help but feel a little ecstatic when you came back like that; even with such an unassuming, conservative type of map.

Sometimes you just gotta return to your roots, I guess...

Spoiler

Thank you very much for the feedback! Did you find any bugs? Can you send me screens in PM if you happen to find any?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 March 2024 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is this a bug? It eventually spawns too many sprites and crashes the game. I'm using EDuke32 Mar 16 2024.

Posted Image

Radar, on 26 March 2024 - 01:51 PM, said:

Is this a bug? It eventually spawns too many sprites and crashes the game. I'm using EDuke32 Mar 16 2024.

Posted Image

Doesn't happen on my playthrough. It spawns a single RPG, I take it and go to a previous room, everything's fine.
Can you restart the level and see if it happens again? Thanks in advance, sorry for inconvenience.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 March 2024 - 02:30 PM

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

It spawns multiple RPGs on my end too (also Mar 16 build). Thought it was a feature, since it didn't cause any crashes on me.

Just fyi, getting the same rpg OOS issue with EDuke32 r10564-0bc78c53d (Mar 16 2024) and tried the 32bit Mar 5 release as well. This is on Windows 10 x64 with the latest & greatest patches.

I used DNSTUFF to get the rpg that way instead, but the crack in the previous room didn't blow up. Then tried DNCLIP past that wall, and things got pretty ugly going down the hallway, haha! Interestingly, eduke32 restarts after the rpg respawn/OOS issue, and still runs but in an unstable/unuseable state (edit: this isn't always the case)

Humorously the OOS message box also says "Memory Overflow".

If you want help bisecting, please let me know.

This post has been edited by Vagan: 26 March 2024 - 04:14 PM

I don't recommend cheating in this map.

zykov eddy, on 26 March 2024 - 04:12 PM, said:

Only in the name of debugging. I did use DNKEYS to try out the previous eduke32 release though.

Vagan, on 26 March 2024 - 04:15 PM, said:

Only in the name of debugging. I did use DNKEYS to try out the previous eduke32 release though.

I looked into the problem further. Download the updated link and tell me if that helps.

Downloaded it :20 ago and gave the update a runthrough from scratch, with no cheats :) I used the 32bit eduke version from March 5 2024 since it was already in place, fwiw.

It reacted the same. When the rpg backpack is interacted with, a waterfall of rpgs happens, then the too many sprites/memory overflow message appears. I tried to take a screen of this but wasn't successful, but I'm guessing printscreen doesn't work in this context (just get a blank black box - guessing i can use a proper screen grab to capture this message).

What I find interesting is that I'm still in eduke after the rpg waterfall happens. The door in the previous room doesn't work, and the wall crack graphic is no longer there.

Love your work and glad to test iterations. Please let me know if dnkeys is ok to use (or not) because it saves time. Or maybe put the yellow key somewhere easy to get to, haha!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Tried it again. Same behavior still. I'm also having the same problem where blowing up the crack in that room doesn't do anything.

Here's my log before the crash if it helps any (I'm able to exit the game properly even after the "too many sprites" error message appears):

Spoiler

You're describing something very new and interesting, because it's impossible to still be in EDuke32 after such errors. Almost like the game glitched in the craziest way possible.

What other changes are there after the error message? The wall graphics disappearing and door closing is weird, but are there other things of note? We might ask EDuke32 developers to get involved. I doubt this scenario has ever happened in this game before.

It needs to be studied and observed. Please look around and describe what you can find. I'm very curious.

Radar, please get involved in studying this phenomenon, as other players have reported normal behaviour.

You two seem to have the most interesting scenario possible. I can't replicate that no matter what I do. Such errors are one in a million. So please document every change in the game after the error.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

No problem. Here's a video clip of it.

This is insanity. I thought it only affected the room with the RPG backpack. Now there's an entire Hollywood Holocaust that's corrupted? Even the monsters are disappearing.

This clip has made me agitated, because there's no way the players could even access E1L1 from my user level.

I'll be trying to replicate that myself tomorrow, as I'm kind of jealous of your findings. Please describe the way Hollywood Holocaust plays, how corrupted is this area actually? Can you even finish it conventionally?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Currently checking the rest of it out. It's quite badly corrupted. I'll post another clip shortly...

Exploring further, I also saw the game put the player into E1L1. I saw a message about eduke32 restarting as part of that. I've never seen that behavior in the past either - every time "too many sprites" has happened, it was a crash to the desktop.

Edit with an update after another test run. Everything Radar is seeing I'm encountering in the same way.

The sprite/memory error message looks a little different than the one I've seen in the past. I'll try to qualify the difference, but just to say it looks "off" for now.

I ran another runthrough using the eduke32.exe that comes with the latest version of Dukeplus (251) and again with a fresh install using the latest 64 bit eduke release, with the same results each time.

At least it's repeatable by more than one person :)

This post has been edited by Vagan: 26 March 2024 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

Lol

View Postzykov eddy, on 26 March 2024 - 04:12 PM, said:

A viable alternative in these situations is using the spawn command in the console -
spawn RPGSPRITE

Technically it's still cheating, but may be a temporary solution until either the map or port are fixed.

Good to see you back. I can't play this, nor anyone else's releases, but it at least has my nod of approval for existing at all, if that's worth anything.

View PostHigh Treason, on 27 March 2024 - 09:30 AM, said:

A viable alternative in these situations is using the spawn command in the console -
spawn RPGSPRITE

Technically it's still cheating, but may be a temporary solution until either the map or port are fixed.

Good to see you back. I can't play this, nor anyone else's releases, but it at least has my nod of approval for existing at all, if that's worth anything.

I'm glad to see you too!

Any console manipulation at this point is also a bad idea IMO. We're dealing with a new kind of error/corruption, that, at least to my knowledge, has never happened in EDuke32 before. Even though, judging from my PMs, most people opened the backpack fine, I still wanna know what the hell is happening with a few players that experienced unlimited RPG spawning and weird game restarts to E1L1.

I refuse to manipulate the area or remove it, as it's a very unique situation that needs to be inspected by the community. In short, this has never happened before. So I say, corrupt the hell out of this game. Let's see what we can find out about Eduke32 and the map itself.

I'm looking through the eduke32 source for the exact verbiage/format of the two messages we're encountering (the OOS as well as the restart message).

While I do that, I just wanted to mention that my duke3d.grp is the one that Allen posted to Mediafire over a decade ago, rather than pulling it from my Plutonium Pack CD, which is buried in storage. Everything else is brand new, shiny and fresh :)

I'll also try this on another computer and report back. It will be different hardware, but the same rev of 64 bit Win 10.

When I originally saw the cascade of rpgs, I thought "damn this is gonna be a crazy boss battle", haha!

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

The reason it spawns multiple RPGs is because of this block of code in MEMEXTRA.CON, edited here for readability.

ifaction AITEMBAG1 {
    spawn RPGSPRITE
    ifactioncount 60 {
        [. . .]
        action AITEMBAG2
        [. . .]
    }
}

I don't understand why you spawn RPGs for 60 animation frames. If the object is meant to only spawn one RPG, then why not immediately execute the rest of the code? What's the purpose of the delay?

I have bugfixed a number of your mods and they are consistently filled with very odd quirks and decisions that seem completely illogical.

MAJOR UPDATE!

Thanks to the generous help of community members, and especially Reaper_Man's post, the game-corrupting bug have finally been FIXED!

Download link in the first post updated!

If you haven't played past the RPG spawning error, you missed about 50% of the map. So, please give it another shot and tell me what you think! Feedback will be very much appreciated. You can use spoiler tag for the feedback if you're shy. I'm dying here.
Grap your copy now and chew some gums, kick alien ass! Duke Nukem 3D is a fun game, after all. And fun is infinite.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 27 March 2024 - 03:32 PM

Congrats on release, Eddy.

I know you've worked hard on this map and I think despite you falling out of the loop with mapping the map is a total beast to play.
A must for anybody wanting some classic E1 inspired action from one of the few active long-standing members of the community keeping the game alive.
The map was thoroughly tested and no game-breaking errors were found. You guys are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Aleks 

Played a bit, the map/mod seems really fine. Unfortunately, I got stuck after the vehicle section, the car/driving mechanics and animations are working really well, but I can't exit the car after reaching what seems to be my destination...

Aleks, on 28 March 2024 - 03:28 AM, said:

Played a bit, the map/mod seems really fine. Unfortunately, I got stuck after the vehicle section, the car/driving mechanics and animations are working really well, but I can't exit the car after reaching what seems to be my destination...

This whole project, in a way, is like an old, run-down car that has a mind of its own and barely works. Therefore, I perfectly understand your confusion.
Try every action button.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 28 March 2024 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Wow.. what a map! I finished it, but how do you get the keys for those locks in the cinema room, is it even possible or just there to tease the player?

Tekedon, on 28 March 2024 - 08:43 AM, said:

Wow.. what a map! I finished it, but how do you get the keys for those locks in the cinema room, is it even possible or just there to tease the player?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 28 March 2024 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   slacker1 

What an insanely awesome map! Really amazing work done there that I'm not even going to try to understand how you did it.

So far, I've only found 2 of the cinema keys... have to replay again and find the rest.

Spoiler

Also one other thing I noticed...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by slacker1: 28 March 2024 - 11:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options