Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Urban trouble - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Urban trouble

Hello. This is a map i made for Duke Nukem 3D. Atomic edition/episode 4 content is required to play. It supports singleplayer, cooperative play and deathmatch. I hope it is enjoyable to play.

I'm an amateur mapper, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Download: Attached File  URBANTROUBLE.zip (41.71K)
Number of downloads: 75

Screenshots:

Attached Image: screenshot1.png Attached Image: screenshot2.png Attached Image: screenshot3.png Attached Image: screenshot4.png

Trailer: https://youtu.be/F1omQWdmXL8

User is online   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I’ll be checking this out ASAP, looks classic from the screenshots.

User is offline   Radar 

Video up.

User is offline   jkas789 

I'll be definitely playing this tonight! Thanks for the hard work mate.

Ok so I just finished the level and it was a fun romp. It took me a little over 15 minutes mainly because I was secret hunting and looking around but I wager you can finish this map easily under 10, maybe even faster.

The only criticism I can give you at 1:22 am is that you over used a lot the texture used for the walls of the buildings, to the point that some level detail could get lost at times. Unless the point was conveying a sense of almost brutalist architecture then the map comes off feeling a bit undercooked.

Attached Image: duke0008.png

Otherwise I think for a first map this is a very solid entry.

I specially liked the closet trap with the alien where you punish players that get overly curious/greedy lol.

Nice job!

Here have a choccy milk for your hard work cultist! ( ´ ω ` )

Attached Image: Blood Choccy Milk Meme.jpg

This post has been edited by jkas789: 09 September 2023 - 12:29 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostSilverScrub, on 07 September 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

I'm an amateur mapper, so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Haven't played the map yet but from what I could see from your screenshots and bits of Radar's video, I can tell right now your fortes are sector construction/structure/geometry and layout/progression philosophy, I'm seeing many cool or practical original elements in your design. The aspect that could use some practice would be shading, you actually have some neat slanted shadows here and there, but most every room and wall looks like the default shade which flattens a lot of the depth your existing designs could show. Most of the times those relatively bright places do not even have a credible light source (but just adding a credible light source of course isn't exactly a solution if the surrounding lighting remains flat). I'd recommend you read up on some of the basic lighting theory (one side of a box/room should be brighter and another one darker than the other two, etc.) and implement that into your workflow, get used to making those adjustments as you're texturing your every wall so that it's barely any extra effort in the moment as opposed to the tedious work it would be to later have to go and individually shade all the walls, floors and ceilings of a finished map. I'm aware relatively flat lighting/shading is a style, but no shading is none and just a flaw.

I actually like the general texturing pattern around the level (even appreciate the occasional redudancy/repetition, helps with identity), every once in a while you have some funny alignment or stretching/tiling going on (as though to force the use of a texture on a structure that doesn't quite respect the intended x and y repeats so you stretch it) but in general it's solid design and this type of stuff is what you'll naturally iron out/learn to avoid (or play with) with more time and experience anyway. For a first release, the current product feels particularly solid to me.

There seems to be a bug with the double door into the main building that is just next to the Shrinker secret that clips in and out of existence depending on view angle once opened, because then part of it overlaps the map boundaries.

Might post more thoughts once I've actually played the level.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 September 2023 - 03:46 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjkas789, on 09 September 2023 - 12:28 AM, said:

Otherwise I think for a first map this is a very solid entry.

View Postck3D, on 09 September 2023 - 03:31 AM, said:

For a first release, the current product feels particularly solid to me.

Just to remind you guys, but SilverScrub is the winner of the Rookie Mapping Contest I've organised about 2 years ago, so it's not his first release - here is the link to his previous map: https://msdn.duke4.n...rialfactory.php (which was a good one considering the restrictions I've given on the theme and limits).

Anyway, congratulations on the release, nice to see another one from you - hopefully I'll get to play it tonight if I still have energy after ck3D's BattleDuke contest entry, as I want to wrap all the maps designed for it and cast my vote before moving on :)

User is offline   ck3D 

Oh yeah that's right, I knew the alias read familiar, I stand corrected on that.

User is online   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Very well done map! It really does feel like a throwback to the mid to late 90s usermaps. The design is well done, really like how parts of the map connect the way that they do, and it seems that all doors are operational in some fashion even if they don't appear to be initially (one-sided switches, explosion crack, etc.). It's got a fair challenge, though I found your previous map, Industrial Factory, a bit tougher overall. Only things I found a bit strange looking was the car not having any windshields and the ending area, I was expecting a big fight of some kind but it was pretty much a nice stroll to the exit at that point.

I could see this being fun for Dukematch, and yes, I have said that about many maps released lately, but that building where you can look down into the area where the battlelord sentry is reminds me of the scene in Die Hard where the terrorist were shooting an RPG down onto the streets below, and that would make for an interesting camper situation I'm sure.

Overall this was a fun old-school style map with a lot of great set pieces. I do wish the ending had been more intense perhaps with more aliens down there waiting for Duke, but it was still a lot of fun!

I hope to see more from you soon.

View PostAleks, on 09 September 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

Just to remind you guys, but SilverScrub is the winner of the Rookie Mapping Contest I've organised about 2 years ago

How dare you bamboozle us! Give back me choccy milk you rogue!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by jkas789: 09 September 2023 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Mikko's review: https://msdn.duke4.n...rbantrouble.php

User is offline   Aleks 

Played the map and in general, I agree with the comments mentioned here so far. The layout and interconnections are definitely the forte of the level, I also really liked how the secret places were placed - usually you could first see the spot of interest and it was mostly the "how to get there" that was part of a "sidequest", but also nothing too complex. I didn't mind the repetitive texturing that much, but indeed the shadows are mostly a bit flat/plain and could use some work. Also some areas could use way more monsters. The set pieces were nice too, especially the first commander blowing up the wall in the strip club. Had fun during about 15 minutes of playing it. Wouldn't say it's better or worse than the map made for Rookie Mapping Contest, it's a different theme and the map seems to focus on different stuff which is nice. Good job, hoping to see more in the future!

A big thank you to everyone for their feedback and their kind words (and the choccy milk). I am glad the map is fun to play.

I agree with the criticism, especially that the shading could be a lot better, and that i may have overused some textures. I will keep this in mind when making new maps.

I may update this map eventually, but for now I'd like to move on to other things.

Thanks again to everyone for playing my map.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostSilverScrub, on 10 September 2023 - 02:09 PM, said:

I may update this map eventually, but for now I'd like to move on to other things.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it ;) The map is OK as it is, of course it's not perfect, but also not buggy or anything, so it's probably better to just move on instead of infinitely trying to "patch" all the little potential annoyances and bow to every nitpick people find.

As a side note, two little tips I forgot to mention yesterday - some swing doors (SE11/ST23) seem to open in the "wrong" direction, you can change their rotation between clockwise and counter-clockwise by pointing the SE sprite upwards or downwards (or using a palette on the sprite I think, but the rotations seem like a clearer way to do it). Also you can auto-align textures on the walls where e.g. you have a single wall broken into few smaller ones by e.g. exploding crack by pressing "." on the leftmost wall in the row or "," on the rightmost one (in the cases where the texture is flipped over the X).

This is a bit late, but...

• The map felt too large. There wasn't nearly enough enemies to justify it's size. I'd make your next map have a smaller scale if you're not going to put lots of enemies in it.
  • Fires can be destroyed by player attacks. Awkward.
  • I like how you gave the player enough Pipebombs to use them as weapons. I've seen too many maps treat them as nothing more than tools for destroying walls.
  • The map is way too easy on Let's Rock. I had to bump it up to Come Get Some to get some sort of challenge out of it, but it was still generally easy.
  • I was happy to see that the map had fairly simple secrets. I don't like having to do esoteric BS to get a mere Atomic Health or a box of RPG rockets.
  • Thought it was cool how the area the Liztroops burst out of at the start of the map could be reached to find a secret instead of keeping it as background decoration.
  • The Freezethrower was given to the player way too late and there wasn't any ammo for it to boot.
  • The Freeway-ish secret bathroom that connected the end and start areas was a good idea.

User is offline   slacker1 

Just got around to playing this map. I really enjoyed it. I dig the retro vibe it gives off and the interconnectivity between places as you progress is really cool and nice to see. I agree with others that it could have used a bit more enemies, but I still liked it as is.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention yet that I thought was also cool was:
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options