Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] BattleDuke Contest Pack - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] BattleDuke Contest Pack  "Three new BD maps by ck3D, DNSKILL5 and IIIIIIIIIII"

Poll: Your favorite map in BD Contest Pack? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map

1. Lunar Greenhouse by DNSKILL5 (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Subtifuge by IIIIIIIII (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Duc-Man by ck3D (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Sanek 

This is it, the BattleDuke Contest Pack!

Attached File  BattleDuke Contest Pack.zip (134.68K)
Number of downloads: 215

In the middle of June, I invited you to participate in a creation of new maps based on my BattleDuke episodes. 1,5 months later we recieved 3 new maps based on this concept, from 3 different authors!
One of the authors is a veteran mapper ck3D, while the other two - DNSKILL5 and IIIIIIIIIII - actually make their debut's right here!

You can vote for your favorite map in a poll! The voting starts today (September 2nd, 2023) and ends on September 30th, 2023. I guess I'll have all the possible votes by then and can declare the winner. Contestants - please don't vote for yourselves!

Subtifuge (subtifuge-bd.map), the alien-planet-themed map by IIIIIIIII, is obviously not the first map ever made by this author, but the first map of his that made it to the public. While i didn't ask for it, he send me the snapshots of the map from the alpha to gold stages, and ngl I had little faith in it, but the final result, made within such a short timeframe, is extremely surprising! IIIIIIIIIIIII send his map first, and I congragulate him for actually sticking to the deadline, which we pushed further and further later on. Definitely the author we should look out for in the future.

Lunar Greenhouse (LNRGRNH.map) by DNSKILL5 is a small space-themed map. And it's actually the first map that DNSKILL5 ever made! I don't know how extensively DNSKILL5 studied the editor, but I think he did a good job for a first map (or the first map that's been finished). It's the second map that I recieved.

And finally, we have Duc-Man (ducman.map) by ck3D! It can be tagged as a ''city map'' in a way, and the familiar cars here and there will make you think that you're browsing the content that didn't make it into Blast Radius or Zero Zone for some reason. Bui it's not the main biggest part of the map - two thirds of the map is totally not what you're expecting! See for yourself to find out!
ck3D is the last map that I recieved, and the main reason while I'm releasing the pack right now and not 2-3 weeks ago. When you're going to examine the map, keep and mind that ck3D had more time to make it than than the other contestants!

In terms of difficulty, LNRGRNH is probably the easiest. Subtifuge stand right here with the original BD maps. And Duc-Man is going to be a serious challenge even for a seasonal BD player, as the hardest BD map yet!

As a side-note, I would like to apologise for the whole "make your map until the the deadline...or else!" thing. One of the reasons for starting this contests is to make you step into my shoes, i.e. make map in a short amount of time, the same way I made two episodes of BD. In retrospecitve it was a poor decision, since I lost the map from Aleks and a potential map from quakis....

But anyhoo, I would like to thank everyone who took part in the creation of this map pack! I'm actually feel honored that DNSKILL5 and IIIIIIIIII decided to make their respective debuts as a part of my BattleDuke thing!

I won't share my opinion in this opening post, but you can sure write your review of the maps right now, contestant or not! Don't forget to vote! The voting is anonymous.

Enjoy!

Attached Image: duke0025.png Attached Image: Hq5WrEg.png Attached Image: duke0026.png

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I can't seem to load any of the maps from the episode list. Are they intended to be played standalone one by one?

User is offline   Sanek 

You must select the maps from the list. It's not the episode. Yes, ntended to be played as standalone one by one.

User is offline   Mark 

Going up against so many BattleLords it was bound to happen.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke lost.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 02 September 2023 - 02:03 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I really enjoyed making this level, and it was my first serious attempt at completing a map from start to finish. My knowledge of Mapster32/BUILD was very limited prior, and I used the infosuite extensively for making this level. While my initial idea was to create a map based on the first US settlement, Jamestown, I had to gradually tone it down to the point that the only similarity is the fort structure. I believe this map has helped me learn a lot about how Mapster32 and BUILD work, and should really allow me to make more involved maps in the near future.

IIIIIIIII's map is very atmospheric and I really like the use of explosions in the beginning leading up to the first BL encounter, and the main arena area is very nice looking. Really tough with a lot of neat effects put to good use here. If this is their first released map, it is clear they have taken the time to learn how to implement all of these effects in a creative way.

ck3d's map is really cool. The starting area is really unique with tons of color, and I like how the outdoor areas spiral around this place. I really like the use of shadow BL's and the demolition charge. Very fun level, very tough, and I agree with Sanek, it does feel fitting for BR in a way. I also think this map would be a lot of fun as a Dukematch level due to the circular design, use of teleporters, etc.

Great effort, guys!

Thank you again, Sanek, for taking the time to put this contest together and giving me the opportunity to release my first user map.

This post has been edited by DNSKILL5: 02 September 2023 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm going to try everyone else's maps out as soon as possible, mine was a lot of fun to make and BattleDuke logic in general is pretty cool to design levels around, I wasn't so sure if my idea would even work at first when joining but then after testing I was starting to really get into it, wouldn't have minded keeping going either with the level or with more of them. Thanks again for organizing this, was really cool.

(I'm going to have to say it but I don't think it's very fair to say I spent longer than the others on the map, it only took five or six days to make going for about an hour, sometimes two per day on average, except they were completely disconnected due to lifestyle changes that started making it almost impossible for me to find time or energy to do anything Build. The basic layout was thrown down in one hour or two, then the map forgotten for a while, and I only picked it up again around deadline time to rush it out in a few sessions, it really was nothing, just I've been working twenty hour days, one only exceptionally gets to do just about anything in this situation. But I do realize I dragged things out and appreciate that people waited for me.)

P.S.. my map actually is compatible with Dukematch and coop, couldn't remember if the rules specified anything about that but the starting points are in anyway.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 September 2023 - 04:41 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postck3D, on 02 September 2023 - 03:19 PM, said:

P.S.. my map actually is compatible with Dukematch and coop, couldn't remember if the rules specified anything about that but the starting points are in anyway.

No objections to multiplayer.

View Postck3D, on 02 September 2023 - 03:19 PM, said:

(I'm going to have to say it but I don't think it's very fair to say I spent longer than the others on the map, it only took five or six days to make going for about an hour, sometimes two per day on average, except they were completely disconnected due to lifestyle changes that started making it almost impossible for me to find time or energy to do anything Build. The basic layout was thrown down in one hour or two, then the map forgotten for a while, and I only picked it up again around deadline time to rush it out in a few sessions, it really was nothing, just I've been working twenty hour days, one only exceptionally gets to do just about anything in this situation. But I do realize I dragged things out and appreciate that people waited for me.)

Well, we don't count the dev time in the actual minutes spent in the editor - none of us do, except its cbp of some kind. But I understand what u mean. The only thing why I brought that up is because everyone else send their maps in time and it's kinda unfair to them imo.

User is offline   ck3D 

I mean I can see your angle too which is why I'm specifying, I asked for more time but the actual mapping time spent is comparable to everyone else's that they put in, so assuming otherwise would be incorrect. I also don't think it's as unreasonable as you make it sound to ask for a deadline in the context of a contest, especially due to the volatile nature of the web where it's tempting to never finish projects if there is no guideline or incentive, which is why I appreciate you waiting. But what probably should be considered is some of us really aren't 16 anymore with unlimited spare time and not a care in the universe, so it's more justified if sometimes things get a bit looser or mapping has to take a back seat. I basically could have submitted my map on time but then would have lost my flat or something and so am just happy I managed to submit one at all.

I hope people use the Holodukes!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 September 2023 - 02:24 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postck3D, on 03 September 2023 - 02:06 AM, said:

I mean I can see your angle too which is why I'm specifying, I asked for more time but the actual mapping time spent is comparable to everyone else's that they put in, so assuming otherwise would be incorrect. I also don't think it's as unreasonable as you make it sound to ask for a deadline in the context of a contest, especially due to the volatile nature of the web where it's tempting to never finish projects if there is no guideline or incentive, which is why I appreciate you waiting. But what probably should be considered is some of us really aren't 16 anymore with unlimited spare time and not a care in the universe, so it's more justified if sometimes things get a bit looser or mapping has to take a back seat. I basically could have submitted my map on time but then would have lost my flat or something and so am just happy I managed to submit one at all.

I hope people use the Holodukes!

Yeah, I don't mean that you must drop everything and make this map for a video game no matter what. We could do it without a deadline, but we were way too deep in the knee process when we realised it and it's just doesn't feel right to change it at that point.

But anyway, it doesn't matter now when the pack is out. Lessons learned.

And yeah, Holoduke is a must!

User is offline   ck3D 

Radar already has a video up for all three maps:

I'm hoping the description sits right with Sanek because I believe it's relatively acerbic but fair and in fact exactly why I like the concept so much, it's an exaggerated simplification of the game where enemy shots always will hit unless it is some sort of obstacle that blocks them, there is quite a lot one can do just with that already. Results in the game feeling more akin to what I'd imagine an arcade or NES Duke 3D would feel like, more rudimentary and so harsher in that it asks more from the player than per usual, also in strategizing how to defend themselves instead of being supplied with solutions. It's probably not that mean either since true arcade/NES-styled difficulty would essentially be the same thing but pure die and retry, no saving, and general unfairness both in the mechanics and the level design but here it's all on the latter to save the experience, that is neat. Re: what I tend to accept a game asks from me personally, I basically draw the line at NES Dragon's Lair.

Spoiled myself some of lllllllllllllll's map, cool stuff, amazing grasp of Build that is so suspicious I could venture wild guesses on who I think they may be if I didn't risk doxxing them by accident as a side effect, but it's clear this mapper knows what they're doing and if they've really never published anything Build-related in the past under a different alias then color me surprised (palette 24 will do) as the approach to the features of the engine and of the level design altogether screams professional (whatever it is that means). Loved what I've seen, can't wait to directly play.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 September 2023 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postck3D, on 03 September 2023 - 03:13 PM, said:

Radar already has a video up for all three maps:

I'm hoping the description sits right with Sanek because I believe it's relatively acerbic but fair and in fact exactly why I like the concept so much, it's an exaggerated simplification of the game where enemy shots always will hit unless it is some sort of obstacle that blocks them, there is quite a lot one can do just with that already. Results in the game feeling more akin to what I'd imagine an arcade or NES Duke 3D would feel like, more rudimentary and so harsher in that it asks more from the player than per usual, also in strategizing how to defend themselves instead of being supplied with solutions. It's probably not that mean either since true arcade/NES-styled difficulty would essentially be the same thing but pure die and retry, no saving, and general unfairness both in the mechanics and the level design but here it's all on the latter to save the experience, that is neat. Re: what I tend to accept a game asks from me personally, I basically draw the line at NES Dragon's Lair.

Spoiled myself some of lllllllllllllll's map, cool stuff, amazing grasp of Build that is so suspicious I could venture wild guesses on who I think they may be if I didn't risk doxxing them by accident as a side effect, but it's clear this mapper knows what they're doing and if they've really never published anything Build-related in the past under a different alias then color me surprised (palette 24 will do) as the approach to the features of the engine and of the level design altogether screams professional (whatever it is that means). Loved what I've seen, can't wait to directly play.

If my description doesn't sit right with anyone, then I'd just say don't mind me one bit (just as Sanek advised not to play this mod if it's not your cup o' tea, and honestly, I probably should have heeded). Anyway, I still hold my opinion. The difference with those difficult and unfair arcade games is that there are very skilled players who can complete some of those games in one sitting. But given the nature of hitscan enemies in Duke3D, I don't believe that is possible without saving (I'd welcome anyone to try to prove me wrong, especially with MRCK's map). The challenge is eliminated once you've introduced saving as a required gameplay mechanic. It's simply a matter of constantly reloading the save hoping that the battlelord isn't shooting you this time. You've basically created "Save Scum" - The Mod.

Anyway, don't mean to spoil the fun you're all having. If you're all enjoying your work then who am I to say otherwise. I'll just go back to recording vidya and hopefully find something I like a bit more than this.

User is offline   ck3D 

I think it's a logical opinion to have and naturally you're entitled to it and have every right in the world to speak it. Realistically, it is a bold and rather extreme mod concept which is what I appreciate about it. It does rely on die and retry a lot by design but I'd rather see the use of the save and reload system in this case as repurposal into a game mechanic (a lateral one if you will) which then wouldn't be too dissimilar to World Tour's rewind system (or was it Megaton's), in that sense it doesn't bother me. One could argue pushing saves to such an extreme counts as criticism of the entire concept of mid-level saves and general convenience in video games when looked at through the prism of raw challenge. Clearly not for everyone, but what is.

I probably could finish my own map without dying, for a couple of days the gameplay was in with no armors around the beginning, less steroids and most especially only half the +10 medkits, I played it in that form twice, the first time went strangely fine, the second time kicked my ass even though I had just simplified some stuff, and then since I added the extra health I can still die on the occasion but a whole lot less. With experience, one learns how to use the inventory to its fullest potential, the Holodukes in particular are key to luring the 'ghosts' to the opposite side of the maze, I was glad to see you use the central door to trap some in too (it's also possible to ride the door up the platform for better supervision, or to set up pipebomb traps), and your use of automap surprised me in the best possible way since I was wishing players could play the level in 2D like that but wasn't sure the enemies would show up then. If anything confronting the Battlelords directly and procedurally is the worst approach one can have (but also the most natural one), the idea is to handle each one as minimally as possible until most of the arsenal is unlocked, usually after the last key has been inserted and outside revealed where there is a bunch of stuff to be found, including the jetpack and the Devastator (plus a goldmine of good ol' trashcans). Enemy friendly fire is OP too but I've gotten used to abusing that while playing since Blast Radius. Consistently takes me 30 minutes to complete with an average kill count of 30+/36, honestly always a few deaths but probably could be managed deathless after grinding the map like crazy.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 September 2023 - 05:31 PM

I enjoyed all 3 maps with the default con since I hate bullet sponges

For Lunar Greenhouse
Spoiler

Duc-Man's first area gave me a bad impression until after killing the first 4 battlelords and seeing things open up. The combo of cycler and enemy pals ended up being cool with pal4 being a nasty surprise given they don't light up when they shoot.
Spoiler

Won't comment on Subtifuge after seeing Radar play it entirely different from anything I've done other than
Spoiler

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostSanek, on 02 September 2023 - 04:51 AM, said:

As a side-note, I would like to apologise for the whole "make your map until the the deadline...or else!" thing. One of the reasons for starting this contests is to make you step into my shoes, i.e. make map in a short amount of time, the same way I made two episodes of BD. In retrospecitve it was a poor decision, since I lost the map from Aleks and a potential map from quakis....

Nah don't worry, of course you needed a deadline to make sure people actually do deliver their maps, probably it would be reasonable to extend it if you didn't get the 3 maps, but since you did, no point in holding this forever. I did map faster than ever before with my map (or maps, since I actually started two for this thing!), the oil rig one will be finished soon probably - but since after finishing my holidays three weeks ago I've been too busy with work to really do any level design, it was a good decision for me to opt out instead of rushing the map. Also due to how it's grown, I'll probably be implementing some small changes in CON to make it a bit more colorful here and there with the gameplay. Thanks for the contest anyway, which was a great incentive to start these maps for me! :)

Also, congratulations to everyone who did manage to finish their levels - good job! Will play them ASAP and cast my vote!

This post has been edited by Aleks: 04 September 2023 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Finally finished the last map, so I can write my comments. I've played them in the same order as they are set in the poll.

Lunar Greenhouse
This one is as direct and straightforward as can be - it's basically one large are with a few obstacles and a twist in the form of forcefields that you can turn on and off. There are 3 sniper battlelords, 3 "walkers" and additional sniper inside the ship. The combat works - it's a short and fast map that won't take more than 10 minutes. I just used a direct strategy of turning all the forcefields off then luring around and killing the walkers, then proceeded to the snipers. The design/scale is a bit 90s, but it's fine for the theme and this being DNSKILL's first released map, also done in quite a short time.

Subtifuge
This one was a lot more difficult, although also quite short, with 14 monsters. The design is very good - the alien ship looks nice and has some cool use of textures (e.g. the blown pieces of alien wall), with just enough details to make things interesting. However, it's the gameplay that mostly shines - especially at the 2nd part, after the introduction. Being surrounded by Battlelords from all sides and having to do different strategies is really challenging here, but also not on the frustrating side, which is great. I played this map twice - the first time around I got to the end, but still had 2 monsters alive and no ammo whatsoever to finish them off, so replayed and was less trigger-happy this time around to conserve sufficient ammo for all the enemies, also the second time around it was less try and error and more actual tactics, as I knew what to expect more or less. Really fun and difficult map with a great style and look!

Duc-Man
Oh dear... This map would have worked a lot better with regular battlelords due to how tedious the first part can get - especially considering you pretty much run out of ammo for any gun before getting a single kill. I also didn't like the idea of transparent monsters, the flashing lights was enough to make this part annoying :P I liked the general idea though and how the automap worked here, showing battlelords' movement around the map and making it easier to develop a good strategy of luring them around, the layout worked neat with the teleporters as well. The most frustrating part was the blue key - by that time I pretty much had zero ammo, so had to just do a try and error thing hoping I can use the access switch before being pounded into dust by the emerging battlelords. Once outside the escape room, it got much easier - especially after killing the first ghost battlelord near the dumpster and being able to get a safespot from which I'd work my way through the rest of the map. The ammo was still stingy as hell most of the time, so the map took me about an hour due to having to use pistol/shotgun/chaingun a lot, but in the end I did get all the kills. Nice idea and a good map, but the beginning definitely overstayed its welcome.

User is offline   ck3D 

DNSKILL's deathless DIG traversal of Subtifuge:

• Honored Donor

View Postck3D, on 19 September 2023 - 03:37 AM, said:

DNSKILL's deathless DIG traversal of Subtifuge:

Sadly I wasn’t able to lure the remaining battlelords off the ledge near the room I was in near the end to seal their fates and had to run to the exit with only some pipe bombs and trip bombs left, neither of which would’ve finished the rest off. I was able to do so before filming, but you basically have to time it perfectly for them to fall or they’ll get too close like the one did in the video and get clipped onto the edge instead of falling down into the pit.

The one in the beginning I let live because it’ll be permanently trapped after the triggered explosion takes place, and it saved me the 16ish rockets it takes to take down 1 BL in this mod.

• Honored Donor

75 downloads, 9 votes. The month is almost over, get in your vote before it’s too late!

User is offline   Sanek 

And the winner of the BattleDuke Contest isssssssss.................

lllllllllllllll, for Subtifuge.map!
Attached Image: CUP.png

Dunno if any other words is neccesary (whether the winner would like to say anything), but as a player I agree with a majority of voters that Subtifuge is the best map of all 3, purely from a gameplay perspective. Timed attacks is a feature that works great within a BattleDuke type scenario, and llllllllllllll made a great map around it, we should look for his possible new maps in the future.

Duc-man is a good map too, it have a a few ideas that I wanted to implement but never did for some reason. I wanted to make a map with a Pacman layout during production of BD 1 and 2, but never did. Also I wanted to have walls that comes and down and change your strategy on the go, which I didn't do as well but ck3D did. And also kudos for the use of teleports on both end of the map, a feature that I used somewhat extensively in BD 1 but for reason abandoned in BD 2.

And Lunar Greenhouse is not bad for a first-time effort! It reminds me of the old 1996 user maps, and i mean it as a compliment.

Thank you ck3D, DNSKILL5 and lllllllllllllll for making these maps. :)

Thanks getting to see footage of the map from others was cool. The difference in settings ended up being helpful for catching some problems from replacing sprites too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options