Duke4.net Forums: Quacken's Review Thread - Aquatic TC (Last Reaction & Water Bases), Chimera - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quacken's Review Thread - Aquatic TC (Last Reaction & Water Bases), Chimera  "Yes, this counts as my big project for the school holidays..."

User is offline   Quacken 

Hello! As I said I would try back in May, I’m going back and doing a review megathread of a mapset which I’ve briefly talked about – it is Aquatic TC, also known as Last Reaction and Water Bases, along with its sister/sequel mapset Chimera. To give some context:
Last Reaction, Water Bases and Chimera are all authored by one George-William Bernard, a French mapmaker who to my knowledge doesn’t really have many other notable mapping credits. The release dates are a little weird – LRWB’s text file states it was made in 1999. The Lookup.dat file for Chimera was last modified on Christmas Eve 1999, while the other files that come in the original zip file were last modified on the 5th of February, 2001, so February 5th 2001 is probably the release date.

To give context about myself: I’ve been a frequent contributor to FistMarine’s Mod of the Month Clubs for well over a year now. While I started writing reviews in April of 2022, I actually started by playing March 2022’s featured map set(s), which was LR, WB and CH. I played in secret though – I didn’t write down any of my reviews and I held off actually showing myself until April when the original three Duke 3D episodes were featured. I also only got through about two maps of Water Bases before the month ended – Last Reaction literally took me the entire month to do and I hated pretty much all of it. After being inspired to try my hand at putting my own topic together by FistMarine, I’m here and ready to review Last Reaction, as well as finishing Water Bases and Chimera.

Before we get into things: I’m going to do the first five maps in Last Reaction, followed by the other half in the next post. Repeat this for Water Bases, and I’ll do Chimera as its entire post since there’s only 7 maps. That’s basically everything I have to say, so without further ado let’s get into it. There’s 29 maps and I already feel like I’m losing my patience.

Last Reaction

Spoiler

Mortal Transition

Spoiler

The Jungle Zone
Spoiler

Khaki Space
Spoiler

Lunar Factory
Spoiler

Hello again. I have the other half of Last Reaction here. A lot of these reviews are a little shorter because they are generally shorter and I remember less things about them.

New L.A.
Spoiler

Old L.A. On Ice
Spoiler

Launch Base
Spoiler

Hidden Base
Spoiler

Aliens’ Detraining
Spoiler

Great Stadium
Spoiler

Hi! I finally finished the first five maps of Water Bases. I wish I hadn't.

Aliens’ Trap
Spoiler

Somewhere Else…
Spoiler

Green Harbor
Spoiler

Crystal Mine
Spoiler

The Gate to Atlantis
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Quacken: 12 July 2023 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Looking at your reviews, I'm pretty sure this episode wasn't really done with pistol starting in mind, so you'd have a much better time playing it continuously :P

View PostAleks, on 12 July 2023 - 01:49 AM, said:

Looking at your reviews, I'm pretty sure this episode wasn't really done with pistol starting in mind, so you'd have a much better time playing it continuously :P

I definitely would, but pistol starting is my thing and I do it for everything just to keep reviews consistent.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options