Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Endangered Species July 11 2002 Prototype - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Endangered Species July 11 2002 Prototype

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Šneček 

Nice! So is it for windows?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Been a good year for lost versions of Duke games, hasn't it.

Did we ever find out why they took Duke out of the game and made it something else?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Scott posted about the leak on Twitter and revealed that he didn't feel like Duke going around shooting animals was really fitting for the character so "Apogee killed the project."

https://twitter.com/...565953626480640

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Scott said on the 3D Realms discord that it was cancelled because of the editor of the game, 3D Realms/ Apogee was only there for licencing

so which version is to be believed ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 December 2022 - 11:38 AM

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 December 2022 - 11:36 AM, said:

Scott said on the 3D Realms discord that it was cancelled because of the editor of the game, 3D Realms/ Apogee was only there for licencing

I don't know what you mean by "editor of the game" but I don't see a conflict between the stories. As the IP owner, they do have the right to pull the license away. Apogee themselves faced that when id software rescinded the Wolfenstein license, which forced them to turn Rise Of The Triad into...well, Rise of the Triad.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 19 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

I've put together a work-in-progress MiniPatch to be installed on top of the provided MegaPatch which further addresses some of the minor issues with the build. Download here: DNESH_MiniPatch.zip

Current changes so far:
  • Fixed many missing textures and models in Area 1: Gorilla Island.
  • Enabled mission scripting in Area 7: ChernoBull to make map playable.
  • Fixed shader error that was causing a crash on the alien ship in Area 11: Alien Ship.
  • Substituted missing textures on the Shrinker and Freezer to fix firing effects (not necessarily reflective of the lost textures). Thanks to Zombie.

Nothing huge here, but it helps the presentation a bit, and one more functional map is nice. I'll be collecting any further fixes into this patch for convenience should more come about.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So is this just a patch or the entire game?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 December 2022 - 11:36 AM, said:

Considering he pandered to a few people on a forum complaining about a lotion bottle sprite in Ion Fury a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if he were doing the same thing here with animal rights activists to avoid losing them as potential Apogee customers or to just score points with them. Maybe he truly didn't like Duke hunting wild animals, but that would be robbing Duke's character of a masculine trait in my opinion. Hunting is sometimes necessary to avoid overpopulation of destructive and ruthless species (such as wild boar which Endangered Species includes). Besides, there are a couple of other Duke games that allow you to optionally harm innocent animals and those games got released. :rolleyes:

User is offline   gemeaux333 

hunters are amongst the best protectors of biodiversity and on the front line too, not to be confused with poachers

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 20 December 2022 - 07:46 AM, said:

Considering he pandered to a few people on a forum complaining about a lotion bottle sprite in Ion Fury a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if he were doing the same thing here with animal rights activists to avoid losing them as potential Apogee customers or to just score points with them. Maybe he truly didn't like Duke hunting wild animals, but that would be robbing Duke's character of a masculine trait in my opinion. Hunting is sometimes necessary to avoid overpopulation of destructive and ruthless species (such as wild boar which Endangered Species includes). Besides, there are a couple of other Duke games that allow you to optionally harm innocent animals and those games got released. :rolleyes:

To say nothing of the fact that numerous games have hinted at/implied Duke was a hunter, including most especially Duke Nukem Forever.

Scott's just being retarded again.

Anyway, it's cool to see this get "leaked" all the sudden. I know a couple people were hanging onto builds of the game, and... It's just time. 20 years later, nothing is ever going to happen with this stuff. Other than it become digital garbage that disappears for all time.

What's more interesting is the stories I've heard that conflict with regards to what kind of game ES was before it became Vivisector. I had heard it would start as a standard-ish hunting sim, and then slowly descend into the Dr. Moreau style plot with a badguy and mutants. I don't know if that's actually true, or not.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMarphy Black, on 20 December 2022 - 02:28 AM, said:

I've put together a work-in-progress MiniPatch to be installed on top of the provided MegaPatch which further addresses some of the minor issues with the build. Download here: DNESH_MiniPatch.zip

Current changes so far:
  • Fixed many missing textures and models in Area 1: Gorilla Island.
  • Enabled mission scripting in Area 7: ChernoBull to make map playable.
  • Fixed shader error that was causing a crash on the alien ship in Area 11: Alien Ship.
  • Substituted missing textures on the Shrinker and Freezer to fix firing effects (not necessarily reflective of the lost textures). Thanks to Zombie.

Nothing huge here, but it helps the presentation a bit, and one more functional map is nice. I'll be collecting any further fixes into this patch for convenience should more come about.

I don't know which textures are missing (only fired it up and played a few levels) but Max Aristov, who was a 3D modeller on the project, released a TON of screenshots of his models from the project, I don't know if it's possible to photoshop together the missing bits from his portfolio, but it might be worth a try.
This one even has the UV texture on it.
Posted Image

I always did think that was a damn good shrinker model. One of the most faithful conversions of any sprite gun I've ever seen.

View PostTea Monster, on 24 December 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

I don't know which textures are missing (only fired it up and played a few levels) but Max Aristov, who was a 3D modeller on the project, released a TON of screenshots of his models from the project, I don't know if it's possible to photoshop together the missing bits from his portfolio, but it might be worth a try.
This one even has the UV texture on it.
Posted Image

We actually discovered this just a few days ago in the Duke4 Discord server. It turns out that the texture shown on that portfolio image is missing from the build (the shrinker is supposed to cycle between lit and unlit, the build only has the unlit texture). Although it's sadly quite compressed, the portfolio image is at least full-res, so cropping it out works.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options