Duke4.net Forums: A couple of TROR questions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A couple of TROR questions

I'm currently working on a map for Ion Fury and I have a couple of TROR related issues in need of resolving.

The first is enemies in TROR. If I place a Deacon in a TROR above a normal sector the Deacon won't leave and come down. I think I saw something somewhere about a flag you have to set in order to allow enemies to traverse between TRORs and normal sectors.

The second is an issue with TRORs in certain sectors. I'm not sure if it is a corruption issue or not, but creating a TROR in one part of the map and all connecting sectors results in the TROR having a floor where it shouldn't or in the case of a TROR beneath the floor, a ceiling. In either case, you can see through into the TROR from outside of it, but go inside to look into the sector beneath it or above it and you get a floor or ceiling rather than a portal through to the main sector. Pressing I doesn't get rid of the floor/ceiling, either.

Any help with this would be appreciated. My map is nearly ready for release but there are a few things that need to be ironed out beforehand.

User is offline   Mark 

Try pointing at the obstructing floor or ceiling and press T to set transparency level

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I wouldn't be surprised if the TROR layer has issues showing the other checkpoint... You could probably do something stupid like forcing the sprite to go "inside the floor" of the top sector so that it forces the enemy to seek a lower sector (while still "seeing" the sprite itself, despite being inside the floor).
This might cause problems where it will never check it as visited due to it being unreachable though..

A lot of the code just isn't exactly TROR aware or just janky from engine side. TROR itself was implemented to Fury during the last ~6 months of dev or so (when it became polymost-safe) so I wouldn't be surprised if some cases just ignore it completely :P

I just ditched the Deacon and replaced it with a number of Mechsects instead. I also found with Deacons and Arcangels that they have no stayput frames and will wander if you set them to spawn in. Pressing the T button on the floor/ceiling worked too BTW.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Main issue is because the code that sets the actor's floor and ceiling z limits don't use the TROR-aware versions of getflorz/ceilzofslope. I'm also pretty sure that the "iffloordistl" command is also lacking TROR awareness. That's something that'll need to be changed in EDuke32 itself.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Just remembered that originally in the non-TROR version of HHOH deacon encounter near the end, we actually used a teleporter for the enemy + skybox.

User is offline   MetHy 

Flying enemies should be able to go through TROR sectors back & forth without any issue as long as we're not talking about uninteded uses like extreme TROR sloping. Make sure either side of the TROR surface isn't blocking.

There is a flag, iirc it's lotag 512, for Drones (I think it applies to Deacons as well) to force them to go straight to the Z level of a locator, which can help make them go through TROR holes more easily. However obviously that only works as long as the enemy is following the locators and hasn't noticed the player, "ignore player" flags for enemies/locators can help for those situations. See for instance the Drones/locators/TROR setup near the start of z5a2.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 07 November 2022 - 01:27 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options