Duke4.net Forums: Day of the Toys - Graphic Novel - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Day of the Toys - Graphic Novel

I've been working on a Day of the Toys graphic novel for several months now. Here's the progress so far:

The script is finished. The comic is estimated to be around 120 pages, and will be done in a black and white indie comic style to fit the 1980s theme I'm going for. The art style is looking a little bit like a hybrid of Eastman & Laird meets Junji Ito (not deliberately, it just ended up that way since I'm the one drawing it).

I've done thumbnails (storyboards) for more than half of the comic so far. Comic artists do this to sort out the page layouts, panel angles, word balloon positioning, etc before the actual drawing starts.

The story is mainly based on the intro text and demo maps of the mod, and splits between what's going on with Vern's side of things, and what's going on at his son's school. It's a slow burn that builds tension and sets the stage in the first half, then goes bananas in the latter half. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Still goes balls to the wall with the woke culture commentary.

The toys mainly featured are Mr Bunbuns, the Dotties (three varieties, all with different accents), and Mr Bear, but Anklebiter, Covid Casey, and the monkeys get some memorable setpieces. A killer toys horror story is definitely more fun with a whole line of monsters running amok rather than just one, and they all get a chance to shine.

I was mentored by a movie/tv producer a couple years ago, and he taught me how to reach out to producers in the industry. When I get about an issue's worth of pages done, I'll pitch it to a non-woke figure or two and see if anyone bites onto this as a potential movie project.

Hopefully when I finish the thumbnails I can remember how to get back into the discipline of doing a page a day and have it finished before the world ends.

Attached are some cool character sketches of the toys and three of the main humans, plus a size comparison for the toys. I'm still debating whether I want Covid Casey to be creepy or cute. In the thumbnails she's kind of adorable.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: comic sketch toys 1.jpg
  • Attached Image: cast size comparison.png
  • Attached Image: humans family.jpg

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 22 September 2022 - 11:00 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

I have been watching the drawings you post in the art channel of the Duke4 discord and honestly I'm hyped for this. Nice job Impie!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options