Duke4.net Forums: Phantom Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Phantom Fury

User is offline   X-Vector 

Yet another game built on a contemporary engine that's bent on sticking coarse pixelisation and low polycounts in player's faces because "it's retro, innit?".
Hope this trend dies a fiery death in the near future.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postoasiz, on 23 September 2022 - 02:13 PM, said:

It's not Bombshell 2 and It's not Ion Fury 2, however it is part of the same universe.

Confirmed by Fred on twitter.
Haven't touched the game so I don't know beyond that either, but judging by the trailer it already has more "bombshell" than we had.

We took so many liberties with Ion Fury compared to Bombshell and it's lore and ignored practically anything that was asked of/built/planned in the end so I wouldn't be surprised if some of it simply gets retconned even.

Please keep doing so, it worked out well in the end :D

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostX-Vector, on 24 September 2022 - 01:42 AM, said:

Yet another game built on a contemporary engine that's bent on sticking coarse pixelisation and low polycounts in player's faces because "it's retro, innit?".
Hope this trend dies a fiery death in the near future.

It's running the course. Dusk was, what, 2016? That was basically the start of the "retro FPS revival." Approaching a decade real fast.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKristian Joensen, on 22 September 2022 - 11:27 PM, said:

Yes, absolutely but for example Grinman Gore was talking about appealing to an audience they had alienated by banning discussions of the leak (In order to prevent themselves from getting into legal problems and/or a PR disaster, how dare they!!!!). That could be interpreted as them taking advantage of the leak related PR and creating this just because of the leak, which is just not the case. It is not hypocritical to ban discussions of the leak and then announce a game that has been in development since way before the leak.

All that aside, I am looking forward to this. It beeing very closely "inspired" by DNF2001 is in my book only a good thing, not a bad thing. But to each his own, I suppose.

I have long wanted a Duke substitute and specifically a DNF2001 substitute. I have often thought about the idea of the community creating an new IP and game as close to Duke and DNF2001 as copyright law will allow. This seems like it is the closest we will get.

I am following the work of the DNF2001 leak community with great interest, but whatever they release will be illegal and inherently risky. This will not receive a C&D from Gearbox, Epic or Take Two. Plus it has 3DR veterans like Chuck Jones working on it as an added bonus.

Stop simping for corporations.

View PostJimmy, on 29 September 2022 - 08:49 AM, said:

Stop simping for corporations.

Disagreeing with you and "simping for corporations" are not synonyms.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

"Are you planning to release the game in Early Access?

There are no plans for releasing the game in Early Access."

Very pleased by this news.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKristian Joensen, on 29 September 2022 - 12:57 PM, said:

Disagreeing with you and "simping for corporations" are not synonyms.

What are we disagreeing about, exactly?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostJimmy, on 30 September 2022 - 09:28 AM, said:

What are we disagreeing about, exactly?

This is Duke4, does that even matter any more?

Ok, given that TerminX is not involved with this, does this mean Shelly’s ass will be flat as a pancake?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am sure someone else will make sure that proportions are maintained for historic accuracy.

BTW: Just realized now that the last scene of the PF trailer is a nod to Gus at the end of the legendary E3 2001 trailer for DNF.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 October 2022 - 12:00 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

So a demo is finally out, as I've just learned:
https://store.steamp...rce=steamwidget

• Judge Mental

I can't find a link to the demo. I've looked all over the page 10,000 times and there is nothing.

Everything seems to indicate it is weaksauce, though.

They may have removed the demo download to due the response it got

Posted Image

• Judge Mental

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 November 2023 - 01:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Oh my God. What the fuck is that?

View PostOpenMaw, on 25 November 2023 - 01:03 PM, said:

I can't find a link to the demo. I've looked all over the page 10,000 times and there is nothing.

https://archive.org/...antom-fury-demo

• Judge Mental

Well. That was a baffling experience. Rather poor.

The art style is nice enough, I guess, but... Wow. The mechanics are janky, the guns have no oomph and the AI seems asleep at the wheel.

I smell Fred. This reeks of release ROTT and Bombshell. "GOOD ENOUGH! SHIP IT!"

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 November 2023 - 01:58 PM, said:

Indeed, I just checked my Steam account and the demo has been silently removed. What fun. I intended to uninstall it anyway because of poor performance on my PC and it generally being an uninteresting mess, but this is a bit annoying how they just ninja'd it away like it's the 80s again :P

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 November 2023 - 07:26 AM, said:

Indeed, I just checked my Steam account and the demo has been silently removed. What fun.

The pertinent files should still be present in the install folder, with only the library entry and possibly some Steam specific stuff removed.

• Judge Mental

It's shocking to me that after all these years, they still haven't learned their lesson.

• The Truth is in here

So what does this mean now? The whole project is axed or it'll go through some major overhaul?

View PostX-Vector, on 01 December 2023 - 12:42 AM, said:

The pertinent files should still be present in the install folder, with only the library entry and possibly some Steam specific stuff removed.

how rude, they didn't even clean up their own mess

View PostNightFright, on 05 December 2023 - 02:18 PM, said:

So what does this mean now? The whole project is axed or it'll go through some major overhaul?

It will go through development hell for eight years, after which some company with a greasy CEO will pick up the game, quickly wrap it up and release it.

• The Truth is in here

Well, looks like Slipgate also screwed up the Kingpin Reloaded release yesterday. It's currently torn to shreds in Steam reviews. 3DR should have stayed away from them.

User is offline   Outtagum 

*cough*

Attached File  Freschi.png (34.56K)
Number of downloads: 54

• The Truth is in here

Oh, errr... well, I guess then... they wanted these titles to be shitty, maybe? :lol:

The final boss of Phantom Fury just leaked
Spoiler

• Judge Mental

Talk about nostalgic.

I started digging around in the .pak file with umodel just to see what things looked like up close.

Man. Just like with Bombshell, there are some great assets in this otherwise "meh" game. Props to the artists. They nailed the style.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Just proves you can't bank on a nostalgic artstyle alone. You need some substance, some "punch" to the overall presentation and feel, which encompasses many things, from the music, to the feedback you get when you shoot things or interact with them, be it sound, animation, or the damage output of your weapons; All things we fought tooth and nail for with Ion Fury. Phantom Fury in its current form, feels limp and lacks that substance- it's almost cynical and lacking passion. Hopefully that's not the case and they just blew their load too early so to speak, but it seems like it from what we've seen. Hopefully that'll be turned around.

User is offline   Player Lin 

That's sad they can't even "copy" Ion Fury at all... :P

Well, I'm not mean they should copy but seriously that demo didn't looks like they learned everything from IF, and even worse, from their failed products. :unsure:

Yeah, I like art style too, too bad the gameplay just ruined the hardwork of artists...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 December 2023 - 05:50 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 14 December 2023 - 05:49 AM, said:

That's sad they can't even "copy" Ion Fury at all... :P

Well, I'm not mean they should copy

I don't believe they were even trying to do that. It seemed to me to be more of a "wouldn't it be cool to have Ion Fury's Duke Nukem Forever counterpart?" thing, and DNF never really "copied" Duke Nukem 3D. Well, I guess now they got more of it than they expected: imitating not only the design but also the... circumstances?

I suppose one day we'll all laugh about it, in retrospect.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options