Duke4.net Forums: NukemNet - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NukemNet

Hello fellow dukers, build-gamers, and retro-gamers overall.

I always loved games, of all sorts, since I can remember. They have always been there for me, especially on tough days.
Going back to the roots, the fps fathers, always felt good, and had a certain spirit modern games lack in my opinion.

In the last few months I've worked tirelessly day and night on a new-but-different multiplayer launcher, I called it NukemNet.
I hear you, "yet another new launcher, why?".

As opposed to previous launchers, it's made to be an omni-launcher, with the ability to support any game, whether modern source-ports, or via dosbox, quite easily.
At this time of writing, it supports 27 different games, on 60 different editions.
Supports every modern duke3d source-port (Except DukeGDX which has no cmd args, and JFDuke3D which is upcoming), including the original dos, shadow warrior, and many more.

Another key difference, is that it's based on IRC, which by itself brings many advantages.
Anyone can create a game room, without opening a listener, so players who can't port forward, can still create rooms, and use other port-forwarding workarounds, for example, there is an option to enable "DOSBox ipx dedicated server" which would bypass port-forward requirement completely, at the price of a little more lag (in some cases more stable connection, depending on the case).
More port-forwarding workarounds are on the way.

Another advantage of it being based on IRC, is rich text and messaging features, standard irc commands such as whois, kick, op, invite, NickServ registration, and more.
There's a private lobby, private messages, and upcoming chat history support, and much more.
(irc.nukemnet.com)

It has a discord bridge for the #lobby channel, into NukemNet's discord server
https://discord.gg/AmJXc8PuNS

It has built-in file/img upload feature, just drag and drop any single file/img into any chat channel/privmsg.

It has auto-LAN detection integrated into it.
Meaning, if some/all participants are on the same LAN, they will use the destination local ip address instead of the external one.

It is cross-platform, supporting (at the moment)
Win x86, x86_64
macOS x86_64
Linux x86_64, arm64, armv7l (so you can play your favorite game on a raspberry pi!)
Let me know if you use any other OS, and I'll do my best to provide a build for it.

Non-Windows NukemNet releases have built-in support for WINE, so you can use any Windows source-port, in case it was not yet compiled for your OS.

This launcher is a result of many lessons learned after making Dukonnector (an old Duke3D launcher I made back in 2005+).

You can get the latest releases and more in:
https://nukemnet.com

* keep in mind that it's still in Alpha state *
There are many more features to come, the more players and usage I see, the faster I'll work on adding stuff.

As some of you might know, NY00123 (YANG's author) and I have discussed and agreed that I will provide the hosting for YANG in the meantime.
it is offered as legacy, without support, no version updates are expected to arrive.
available at nukemnet.com:40000

Feel free to reach me out for NukemNet feature requests, bug reports, and DeathMatching.
Happy duking for everyone!

This post has been edited by aaBlueDragon: 24 August 2022 - 03:01 PM

User is offline   Harlock 

Thanks a lot for this! Especially, since it says it also supports Netduke. But ... I cannot download any Windows build, there is an error on the page.

View PostHarlock, on 29 August 2022 - 09:39 AM, said:

Thanks a lot for this! Especially, since it says it also supports Netduke. But ... I cannot download any Windows build, there is an error on the page.

Please try again, should work now.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Come get some! A few examples of epic matches played on nukemnet recently:

NukemNet is now open source, more info on https://nukemnet.com "Open Source" tab.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options