Duke4.net Forums: How long will Duke Nukem last? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How long will Duke Nukem last?

How long will Duke Nukem last? Return to castle wolfenstein, one of my favorite games, is dieing out :blink: And I would hate to see Duke go aswell, how long do you guys think duke will last?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Is this a Duke Nukem Forever setup?

View PostForge, on Aug 2 2009, 08:16 PM, said:

Is this a Duke Nukem Forever setup?

No no, Duke Nukem 3D. Like is it ever going to be abandoned where no one plays it anymore.

I doubt DN3D will get abandoned. Too many people still love it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The game will last as long as we love and respect it.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Aug 2 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

The game will last as long as we love and respect it.

Your are right :blink:

As long as we love and respect it, it will last forever :D

User is offline   Forge 

or at least until the last person on the main three forums (Duke4, AMC, DNR) dies from old age.

View PostForge, on Aug 3 2009, 10:02 AM, said:

or at least until the last person on the main three forums (Duke4, AMC, DNR) dies from old age.

This is why we should pass it down to the next generations, on our death bed we make our children promise to play it every day, and that they will do the same with their children. :blink:

User is offline   corpy 

4 EveR Ofcoorz :blink:
love this game.

User is offline   Forge 

To me, most of you are the next generation so my job here is done. It's all on you now.

User is offline   Sangman 

Give it another 6 years. True many people like playing the game, but the actual modding community is what keeps it alive and say what you want but the amount of active modders is pretty small. I think if it weren't for EDuke32, the show would have been over years ago.

User is offline   Nemesis 

As long as we keep it ALIVE :blink:

User is offline   Sangman 

Keeping a game alive requires more than talking about keeping the game alive :blink:

User is offline   NNC 

I think when the next nuclear apocalypse or ice age hit mother earth.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

There has been a marked decline in the community in the last several months. First there was the almost complete stoppage of work on the HRP. This was partly due to the HRP reaching a milestone, but it's also partly due to people waiting for Polymer to be released. Unfortunately, this coincided with the forum at 3DR (which was the main connection between the community and the larger gaming public) being abandoned. It doesn't help that Polymer is still not released, and at this point I don't think releasing it is going to get a big response, because a lot of people have already gotten tired of waiting and drifted away, and those that haven't have been using pre-release builds of it.

In order for the community to survive in a robust way (i.e. more than just a few modders making stuff for each other) there has to be a steady influx of new players. These could be either "new" old players who are returning to Duke after a long absence, or genuinely new players who never tried the game before. Genuinely new players are more important in the long run, because there is only a finite and dwindling number of the other group who are going to keep coming back.

So how do we attract new players? The continued development of EDuke32, and the Polymer renderer in particular, will be a big help. But that needs to go hand-in-hand with the development of high quality projects that use EDuke32 enhancements. But even that is not enough. The projects have to be promoted effectively to reach new players.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You guys should really promote your mods on sites like Moddb. Especially if they are free. I think WGR2 should definitely get itself out there as it will attract a lot of players.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 12 2009, 12:56 PM, said:

You guys should really promote your mods on sites like Moddb. Especially if they are free. I think WGR2 should definitely get itself out there as it will attract a lot of players.

There was a page for WGR2 on Mod DB, and WG updated it regularly. I don't know what happened to it. They deleted one of my pages once for some bs reason so they may have removed it.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2

It's still there? When you are ready to release it let me know and I will make sure it gets front page news on moddb.com :o

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostHigh Treason, on Aug 3 2009, 06:31 AM, said:

This is why we should pass it down to the next generations, on our death bed we make our children promise to play it every day, and that they will do the same with their children. :o

I´m already doing that, both my kids really love Duke Nukem. They make a row everytime i close the game.

User is offline   Kathy 

How do they feel about strippers?

User is offline   Gambini 

I dont use HRP and we always play user maps, the ones withot strippers :o

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Those girls in them bars in Duke I do not count as strippers as no strip club I have ever been to have women wearing tassels.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 12 2009, 09:58 PM, said:

Thanks. When I searched for it, I put a space between 'WG' and 'Realms' so it didn't come up.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I wasn't implying that it was gone. I was just saying you guys should make a big hullabaloo about it once its released, especially since it will be free/standalone.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Sep 14 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

I was just saying you guys should make a big hullabaloo about it once its released, especially since it will be free/standalone.

I agree. But I also think that people should find a way to promote their stuff long after it has been released. It may be old hat to us, but to the outside world, it's all new.

What I see as the main obstacle to having a larger player base is that the vast majority of Duke mods/TCs are not standalone. Getting a copy of Duke 3D is relatively easy, but in a world full of free entertainment, all it takes is a small inconvenience to stop people. We can have the best maps/mods/TCs on the planet, but if people have to pay $5 on a 12 year old game before they can play them, 99% of them won't bother. Well, okay, that's an exaggeration. If we really did have the best game content on the planet, a lot of people would pay $5 for it or more.

User is offline   NNC 

1000 days!

(1000th post on this subforum!)

You guys seem to be missing out on the fact that George and Scott said that while 3DR no longer develops games, they still lisence IP's. Meaning there will be more Duke games in the future. Maybe even DNF and DB. But Duke is still around. He isn't dead. And he'll come back with a bang. Until then thought, it's D3D.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostBloodwolf806, on Oct 4 2009, 10:10 PM, said:

You guys seem to be missing out on the fact that George and Scott said that while 3DR no longer develops games, they still lisence IP's. Meaning there will be more Duke games in the future. Maybe even DNF and DB. But Duke is still around. He isn't dead. And he'll come back with a bang. Until then thought, it's D3D.

As far as I'm concerned, we were talking about the survival of this community, which is centered around Duke 3D. There's no reason to suppose that the release of future Duke games will help in that regard. There have been several games featuring Duke released after Duke 3D, but none of them had the same impact or have spawned significant communities of their own.

User is offline   Kathy 

Still, without DNF there is less to discuss on Duke centered boards.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

You will doubtless end up with a Doom/Doom 3 type of scenario in the event of a new big duke game. It will probably be a good game in its own regard, maybe even awesome, but the learning curve will be quite steep, and the newer community just wont match the size or passion of the previous community, in regards to editing and ingenuity of course. Thats how im seeing it anyway.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options