Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Holocaust for Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Holocaust for Ion Fury  "Converted Duke3d E1L1 to Ino Fury"

Hello folks!
In an effort to learn to use Mapster32 i've set out to convert Duke3d' s E1L1 to Ion Fury.
I dont know if this have been done before or even is even allowed to release, but i figured that i would share some screensshots of the progress and maybe release it later on.

Most of the geometry is the same as the original level with some minor changes such as a fire escape for one of the appartment secrets (still havent figured out a good solution for the secret above the exit area)
The exit is chaged from the Nuke Button to a level transition zone.
Im still figuring out light and color pallettes.
Everything is missing sounds (like doors and earthquake rumble)
Added alot more decals (sprites).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me what you think!

This post has been edited by Jigglenomicon: 04 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

love it!

User is offline   jkas789 

Looking good!. Can't wait for the release. ヾ(*'▽'*)

Jigglenomicon, on 04 June 2022 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hello folks!
In an effort to learn to use Mapster32 i've set out to convert Duke3d' s E1L1 to Ion Fury.
I dont know if this have been done before or even is even allowed to release, but i figured that i would share some screensshots of the progress and maybe release it later on.

Most of the geometry is the same as the original level with some minor changes such as a fire escape for one of the appartment secrets (still havent figured out a good solution for the secret above the exit area)
The exit is chaged from the Nuke Button to a level transition zone.
Im still figuring out light and color pallettes.
Everything is missing sounds (like doors and earthquake rumble)
Added alot more decals (sprites).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me what you think!

I've attatched the first release of the map.
Attached File  E1L1_4_IF.zip (92.08K)
Number of downloads: 204

This post has been edited by Jigglenomicon: 07 June 2022 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Jigglenomicon, on 07 June 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

I've attatched the first release of the map.
Nice. Needs quite some polishing, though. Our old friend, the possibility to duck-jump through that ominous box office window has made it to Fury :lol: (I'm using r10022). You can get stuck behind an arcade machine. And, of course, the light switches are way too big. The map feels too bright overall.
Attached Image: duck-jump.png Attached Image: stuck.png Attached Image: lightswitch.png
Btw., we already have E1L1 (like your archive name, seems unfinished - does someone know title and/or author name?) and E1M1 (like the map's name) Ion Fury user maps (attached for reference). I recommend renaming yours to something like Duke4Ion_E1L1. To avoid further possible conflicts, renaming tiles001.art to Duke4Ion_E1L1_00.art (a lesser-known EDuke32 feature) would be nice, too.
Quite some criticism, I know, but your effort is really appreciated here.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  E1L1.zip (33.38K)
    Number of downloads: 175
  • Attached File  e1m1.1.zip (21.6K)
    Number of downloads: 169

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I really hate EDuke32 ducking behavior these days. In some entries of the addon compilation I already had to add blockwalls to avoid some serious shortcuts. It's literally a game changer and I am desperately hoping for a fix still, even after years without one (which means it's probably harder than one might think).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 June 2022 - 01:21 PM

LeoD, on 07 June 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

Nice. Needs quite some polishing, though. Our old friend, the possibility to duck-jump through that ominous box office window has made it to Fury :lol: (I'm using r10022). You can get stuck behind an arcade machine. And, of course, the light switches are way too big. The map feels too bright overall.
duck-jump.png stuck.png lightswitch.png
Btw., we already have E1L1 (like your archive name, seems unfinished - does someone know title and/or author name?) and E1M1 (like the map's name) Ion Fury user maps (attached for reference). I recommend renaming yours to something like Duke4Ion_E1L1. To avoid further possible conflicts, renaming tiles001.art to Duke4Ion_E1L1_00.art (a lesser-known EDuke32 feature) would be nice, too.
Quite some criticism, I know, but your effort is really appreciated here.

The art file is named that way because its the only way that i could find i would load on Ion Fury, mocked about with the autoload folder, cutome grp files, def files and nothing worked.
A map title change might be in order, but Hollywood_Holocaust_for_ion_fury seemed too long :P
The jumping tru the window and switches is a easy fix tho! gonna post another download when ive gottem them done.

Here's version 1.1

Fixed in this version:
No bunnyjumping into the ticket window.
You can no longer get stuck behind the arcade machine.
Made the level more dark overall.
Skybox is prettier (still weird tho).
Switchs are more to scale.

Known bugs:
Missing sounds on some doors and such.
Difficulty settings does nothing.
The Cinema light turns on instead of off when you draw the curtains.

ATM im kind of on an impass, whenever i try to add the sound effect to the doors the engine reports back that the sound dosent exsist even tho i've picked the sound from the F2 menu in Mapster32.
The light in the Cinema starts off instead of on, it should be the other way around.
Light affects the palletes of the walls and floors and reverse them when they are turned on.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Jigglenomicon: 11 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

User is offline   NNC 

I haven't seen a decent Hollywood Holocaust remake so far (and I've seen many), and this is not an exception sadly. Textures and palette look weird, and places look empty. If Ion Fury had been released around 1998, this wouldn't have been greenlighted in a proper commercial game. Maybe we should just leave Hollywood for what it is: the legendary opening level of Duke 3D, that only looks good with those settings and graphics.

User is offline   Mark 

Keep working on it. Being your first map it likely won't be a masterpiece but you have to start somewhere. Learn as you go, accept useful critiques and things will fall into place as time goes on. Welcome to modding.

User is offline   NNC 

Mark, on 31 July 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

Keep working on it. Being your first map it likely won't be a masterpiece but you have to start somewhere. Learn as you go, accept useful critiques and things will fall into place as time goes on. Welcome to modding.

I didn't realize it's his first map. For that, it actually looks impressive.

User is offline   Paul B 

Getting the style and the geometry to resemble the original levels is no easy feat. Especially with E1L1 and the theatre room visual glitches with the window in the projector room. By the looks of the screenshots they look remarkably close to the original layout. Good work, I can tell a significant amount of effort went in to making this level look just right and it shows. Nice job! On second thought you're not just reskinning the majority of map with new textures are you? Or are you actually recreating all the sectors or a good portion of them?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options