Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 vs Raze for low end PC - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 vs Raze for low end PC

User is offline   HereticGuy 

Hi everyone!

I am using an old PC ( Quad Core, 4 GB Ram, 1GB Ati HD 6850). Which source port is suitable for such an old hardware; Eduke32 or Raze?

Thanks in advance!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

EDuke32 should run just fine in software mode, might lag a bit in polymost.

Raze will likely work as well, but could lag due using OpenGL. If it is slow, then it isn't going to work out for you.

In my opinion, stick with EDuke32 with any of the video modes that say "software", and do not use the OpenGL ones and make sure Polymer is not checked. This will offer you the best experience at those specs.

This post has been edited by DNSKILL420: 01 June 2022 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Man i have even older PC (Dual Core, 2GB RAM DDR3, Intel Graphics) and i can run older versions of EDuke32 up to 2018 Builds perfectly fine! If you really want latest version then try Software mode as @DNSKILL420 suggested. If you really want OpenGL mode though, try using older builds of EDuke32 from year 2017 or 2018. Hope this helped.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Shouldn't polymost run the fastest, as it is hardware accelerated?

Thanks for your replies @DNSKILL420, @Gingis Khan, @Radar. I would upvote for your help, but i get an "Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" error.

Another question; Eduke32 has an "Cache whole map" and "Disk Cache" options under Renderer section. What are these options and how they affect performance?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostRadar, on 01 June 2022 - 07:29 PM, said:

Possibly and it's likely different from one system to the next, but I ran similar specs in the past and found that polymost did work, but there was some slowdown that made it not so worth it. I've never had issues, even at lower specs than HereticGuy's, with the software render, so it is why I suggested he use it instead.

This post has been edited by DNSKILL420: 02 June 2022 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

View PostHereticGuy, on 02 June 2022 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for your replies @DNSKILL420, @Gingis Khan, @Radar. I would upvote for your help, but i get an "Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" error.

Another question; Eduke32 has an "Cache whole map" and "Disk Cache" options under Renderer section. What are these options and how they affect performance?

Your Welcome. :)

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think those two options only affects HRP and it's loading process and it's time of loading. If you aren't using HRP they almost do nothing. Those options mainly precache Hi-Res textures once you run some map for first time. Once you load same map multiple times it would be loaded much quicker. Even if you aren't using HRP, you can enable those options if you want but they mostly wouldn't affect anything then.

View PostGingis Khan, on 02 June 2022 - 03:10 PM, said:

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think those two options only affects HRP and it's loading process and it's time of loading. If you aren't using HRP they almost do nothing. Those options mainly precache Hi-Res textures once you run some map for first time. Once you load same map multiple times it would be loaded much quicker. Even if you aren't using HRP, you can enable those options if you want but they mostly wouldn't affect anything then.

Yea, i think is exactly like this, it is meant for the HRP or heavy stuff like that (other examples may be HHR and Destination Ghetto), it saves a "texturecache" file in autoload or the eduke32 folder (depend which eduke32 version is used, i think).
The file size growl up each time new textures are involved (file size is 267+Mb in my case), it help the game to run smoothly and load a level much faster the next times you play it/them.

Probably does nothing without the said graphics mods, it will save a "texturecache" file that is just 1kb.

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostRadar, on 01 June 2022 - 07:29 PM, said:

I think classic is faster at very low resolutions (or if you’re using an M1 Mac…)

Thanks for replies @Gingis Khan, @The Battlelord.

Currently I am playing Eduke32 with voxel pack, Roland music pack, PSX sound effects and Skyboxes mods. Thankfully game is not lagging. I have tried Raze port as well. Although it is indeed a good port; there is something off. I can't put my finger on what's the difference. Maybe sound quality or rendering, i don't know.

I have installed MSI Afterburner software to check CPU / GPU / RAM usage. Eduke32 uses almost 2x more VRAM than Raze. Is that normal?

An off-topic question : I am using VoidSW for Shadow Warrior and having some audio inconsistencies -like extremely loud explosion sounds-. In Raze however, sounds feels a little muffled & slightly lower quality.

Is audio inconsistencies a known problem for VoidSW? And is there a way to lock framerate? I couldn't find under video / renderer options. "r_maxfps" command doesn't work with VoidSW.

Raze has sound filtering on by default, that’s why sounds are more muffled.

As for EDuke32 using more VRAM - if it’s there why not use it?

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 June 2022 - 04:48 AM, said:

Raze has sound filtering on by default, that’s why sounds are more muffled.

As for EDuke32 using more VRAM - if it’s there why not use it?

Aye, nothing wrong with using more VRAM. I just got curious about it; since i am using a low-end GPU, i thought it may adversly affect performance.

Edit : I have just checked Raze's sound opitons and couldn't find sound filtering. How can I disable it?

This post has been edited by HereticGuy: 03 June 2022 - 05:38 AM

You said you used skyboxes for EDuke32, did you use those for Raze as well? If not that could be why EDuke32 is using more VRAM. (from my recollection they are quite large)

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 June 2022 - 05:42 AM, said:

You said you used skyboxes for EDuke32, did you use those for Raze as well? If not that could be why EDuke32 is using more VRAM. (from my recollection they are quite large)

Yes, i use Skyboxes for Raze, as well. I didn't know they were that large, though. Thanks for information. What about Voxels pack, are they large like Skyboxes?

Honestly, unless you’re experiencing frame drops I wouldn’t worry about it

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 June 2022 - 06:28 AM, said:

Honestly, unless you’re experiencing frame drops I wouldn’t worry about it

Thanks. I would have taken some frame rate drops for these gorgeous voxels, i love them =) . I can live without Skyboxes, though.

Do you know how can I disable Raze's sound filtering you have mentioned? I have googled but couldn't find any results.

Set resampling to nearest under sound options. Typing snd_resampler NoInterp in console should work as well

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 June 2022 - 06:43 AM, said:

Set resampling to nearest under sound options. Typing snd_resampler NoInterp in console should work as well

I have changed that option as you said it. Honestly, it didn't changed the audio quality mcuh; but thanks for the suggestion.

I tried "Alien Armageddon" mod by the way; but it dips my frame rate. Are there any other mods that adds new decorations to original maps, like in Alien Armageddon?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options