Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior: High Quality Sound Effects pack - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior: High Quality Sound Effects pack

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Hi,

I released High Quality Sound Effects pack for Shadow Warrior. It's based on actual sources and if they were not found, sounds were upscaled. Including Lo Wang's voice. This mod also supports two "official" addons. As I am writing this post, this pack only supports Raze port. VoidSW doesn't support `Sound` token. If it does, I'll support it as well. WangGDX doesn't support it either. I am not interested in supporting other ports like SWP or Redux.

https://www.moddb.co...y-sound-effects

Posted Image

If someone is interested in my spreadsheet, here it is:

https://docs.google....KW2I/edit#gid=0

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Great job!

What software (AI?) did you use to upscale the sound effects with missing sources?

This I used for voices https://huggingface....liq/VoiceFixer. From time to time, it gives perfect result. But in most of cases, the result is not perfect. BUT it was usually good enough to use its high tones which you can apply on top of vanilla sound (Audiacity, high pass filter, usually 6000Hz, rolloff 48dB).

For most of the upscaled sounds, I used Wavosaur tool (it's free) in order to apply FFT Pitch shift. This kinda gives me artificial high tones which make most of the sounds less muffled (hear TELEPORT sound). Plus I used noise reduction in order to get rid of... well.. noise. Similar effect can be achieved with Paulstretch, atlhough I stopped using it when I found out about FFT method.

And sometimes I was applying some treble and bass.

BIMP01.wav and BOLT1R.wav were upscaled using pencil tool in Audacity, which more or less means drawing samples. Not my work, although I wish I could learn that technique, as it can give the best upscales. But at the same time, it's the most time consuming. I just wanted them to done like that as I couldn't find their sources and they are quite common sounds.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 17 April 2022 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Excellent job. Kind of bummed out that it won't work with voidsw but it is what it is.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostDzierzan, on 17 April 2022 - 01:12 PM, said:

This I used for voices https://huggingface....aliq/VoiceFixer. From time to time, it gives perfect result.

On a side note, I just tried this with voice effects from Aleona's Tales, and the results are pretty stunning in some cases (although in a few instances the AI apparently failed to make out what is being said altogether, and gave no voice output at all -- I can't blame it though, I wouldn't make the words out myself if I did not know what is being said). Thanks for the tip!

User is offline   TheXna 

Nice work!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Since this is only for Raze: How faithful is that port actually compared to a vanilla experience? Rednukem and NBlood are aiming for that, but is Raze making any significant changes like GZDoom?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The feeling I get is the devs want it to be faithful as long as it's not at the expense of the gameplay experience. For example the projectile code is being rewritten to allow for free vertical aiming (currently only in Duke3D, but all games will get the treatment eventually). There are also some fixes to fix mapping mistakes in the expansions (in regards to objects having incorrect difficulty flags and voxelised objects having flags that are non-functional in the original game, but which are implemented in recent ports. for example there's a key in a cave in Twin Dragon's Bullet Train level that's invisible because it was tagged as one-sided and facing away from where the player enters)

Also, while NBlood is faithful to the original game, it's not 1:1 either, the spinning Cerberus is fixed (this is the only thing I can think of, and that's because I ended up bugging everyone about it until Noone fixed it). Even Rednukem has some fixes in regard to how pistol aiming works.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I can live with fixing some bugs as long as it doesn't take generous liberties regarding how the game feels, e.g. when using GZDoom with its default settings.

Since the first post, I have found 16 more sounds. Moreover, I realized both BuildGDX and VoidSW can actually load VOC format just fine, whether it's from external GRP or ZIP (so can Raze). For this reason I prepared two seperate download links:

The only problem I found with VoidSW and BuildGDX is that they do not load sounds from "filter" subfolder like Raze does. That means addons' sounds won't be loaded. You could just replace those sounds directly in GRPs, but that means VoidSW won't detect those GRPs cause the checksum changes. However, BuildGDX shouldn't have any issues with that.

Now, I am not totally sure, but I think that if VOCs are used, the quality will be down sampled to 22 kHz anyway. Well, even such quality is improvement over 11 kHz ones.

EDIT: Technically speaking every port (like Redux) can use those sounds, as long as someone is willing to replace VOCs inside GRP.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 28 December 2023 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   0815Jack 

Hi Dzierzan,

huge thx for still searching sound replacements :)

Do you still maintain that excel sheet?

This post has been edited by 0815Jack: 29 December 2023 - 03:26 PM

Well yes, it's up to date.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options