Duke4.net Forums: Ron Gilbert Reboot Monkey Island after Lechuck's Revenge - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ron Gilbert Reboot Monkey Island after Lechuck's Revenge  "(A bit like Terminator Dark Fate did)"

User is online   gemeaux333 

https://returntomonkeyisland.com/

Seems Ron Gilbert consider "Curse of Monkey Island" and everything that came after as non-cannon, which is a bit tough considering the great quality of Monkey Island 3 compared to the episodes that came before and especially after... its true that he wasn't involved in anything that came after Lechuck's Revenge, after all he stated back then that he didn't want to work on the IP ever again, but as the proverb say : "Never say never"

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 04 April 2022 - 10:01 PM

User is offline   K100 

He confirmed on twitter that the games after MI2 are not out of canon.

well, Murray being a skull in the trailer might be a little problematic/disturbing...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 April 2022 - 09:15 AM

View PostK100, on 05 April 2022 - 06:31 AM, said:

He confirmed on twitter that the games after MI2 are not out of canon.

Which directly contradicts some presumed leaked "behind scene" material and declarations that states Gilbert it was/is strongly against make Monkey Island sequels, including the second. Or at least that his idea for them was totally different if they are still partially credible. He may have simply reformulated the more or less announced project of make his vision of Curse Of Monkey Island to make a brand new episode.

Everyone agrees that the general interest for the saga waned after Escape From Monkey Island, that I didn't find that bad frankly, and raised again with the Tales Of Monkey Island, that actually got mixed reactions but positive in the complex.

A thing that I noticed is that no one has complained of the graphics (yet), since the style seems very similar to the Special Editions of MI 1&2 for most fans have gone wild. This time people say nothing just because this time Gilbert is directly involved?

BTW for who still a picky pixel maniac there are the Ultimate Talkie Editions, basically they unite the Special Editions dubs with the CD version of the games. To make a comparison, they give practically the same sensations of the talkie of Fate Of Atlantis.

User is offline   Mark 

I can't tell by just the short trailer if I will like the graphical style of the whole game or not. Right now I'm leaning a little towards the not. It took me a while to accept the new style of the 3rd game. The remasters of the originals looked good. Maybe after I see more I'll be able to pinpoint what it is I don't like. its hard to put into words right now. I know they are skeleton ghosts but they don't have human shape. They look cartoony for lack of a better word.

User is offline   Tekedon 

To be honest. The impression the trailer gives me is that it looks like some flash-game with a lot of motion tweening.

When it comes to Escape from Monkey Island it look like it was rushed... ugly 3D graphics that are not even at the level of Grim Fandango which used the same engine, stupid riddle even according to the critteria of a Monkey Island game, laughably bad writting that eventually reflect on the humor, its keyboard only with no mouse, etc...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I am so psyched for this you have no idea.

I just started play Monkey Island 3 with ScummVM, I already did once, and having played the game with a hardware of 1997... I haven't realized the graphics while being impressive were so low res... but this is what players have noticed when they compared (ingame) the new graphics of the remastered versions of MI 1 and 2 and the legacy graphics...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 April 2022 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't know what this is, but there is something incredibly soulful about this artwork.

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Very iconic image. You should play it. (that's The Secret of Monkey Island)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 April 2022 - 09:54 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

I don't know how to feel about it tbh. On one hand it is a new game in the series, so yay. On the other hand the graphics don't seem to click with me and past experience has made me weary on reboots or remasters. I don't know dudes, I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Sometimes, IMO, it's fine to let a series die and rest on it's laurels forever instead of pushing forward till it eventually crashes and burns. Just look at Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Halo. Or the GTA HD port from hell.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 15 April 2022 - 02:13 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't care what it looks like. Ron Gilbert came back to make a new Monkey Island. Fans have been wanting a new Ron Gilbert Monkey Island since MI2. He wasn't involved in Curse or Escape and was only a consultant on Tales for the brainstorming session. It could be stop motion action figures for all I care.

I'm fine with leaving a series alone, but this isn't some new developer co-opting an established IP. This is the original creator coming back after 31 years. It's like if Lucas bought back Star Wars. Or if Tolkien came back to life to write new Middle Earth material. He deserves to make the game he's been wanting to make and this is the art style he liked. It's not my favourite style wither but I was particularly struck with how expressive the animation was. I'll wait to see more of it in motion.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 April 2022 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Regarding the art style, I'd just like to point out that a lot of how modern entertainment looks today is not so much tied to preference or conscious decisions by the creators, but rather a consequence of how art is created nowadays with modern digital tools. The same was certainly true back then, but some things are a product of their time. With many old games, I am struck by the quality that the artwork was produced at back in the days when things were drawn by hand, frame by frame. The cheap interpolated animations of today are a large part of what turns me off of modern media.

User is offline   Mark 

here is a link to some screen shots. I don't like the angular modern graphics but I'll be buying the game.
https://www.nintendo...o-monkey-island

• The Sarien Encounter

Cheap interpolated animation may be an issue these days but in RMI's case the animation was particularly captivating to me. Everything was so expressive. There's something to be said for working within limitations and using it to its fullest potential. All the best art is made that way if you ask me. That's why we love pixel art itself so much after all. RMI looks anything but cheap judging from what we've seen animated thus far.

Ron Gilbert have justified the use of the graphic style lately, and won't change it for disgruntled players

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 22 May 2022 - 07:20 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think the new art is pretty bad, but if the game is good I can look past it.

Radar, the Secret of Monkey Island is a really great game and you should play it. Get the Special Edition, then pop it into SCUMMVM with the Ultimate Talkie Edition mod. This will build a kind of best of both worlds version of the game, you get the (great) recorded dialogue + original graphics. You can also enable some of the ambient sound effects from the SE (I think they fit and sound good) and use multiple midi musics, the original CD music (basically MT-32), or the new music from the Special Edition. I think the CD/MT-32 music is best but the SE honestly did a fine job, CD/MT-32 wins for me solely due to nostalgia for that type of music. I think the CD has a few unique ambient tracks compared to all other versions so that's probably the best bet.

Honestly, I don't even dislike the Special Edition's graphics. I think they're faithful and pleasant to look at. First time I played the SE, I kept switching back and forth because I loved both. The new game should have just kept that style. It works.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 29 May 2022 - 01:03 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

The original CD audio music wasn't MT-32 actually. I'm not sure what it was but it was a super expensive professional-grade one for the time. MT-32 MIDI from the floppy version is also excellent, though. You basically can't go wrong with any implementation of the Monkey Island soundtrack. Even Amiga is great.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 June 2022 - 04:35 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I dunno, I've only ever heard they used an MT-32 to produce the CD audio. I would assume it was more arranged and edited stuff, kind of like Grabbag on the Atomic Edition CD. There's definitely more going on than straight hardware was capable of. I'd be interested to know what they used if it wasn't an MT-32 though.

• The Sarien Encounter

It definitely wasn't MT-32. I have one and I compose with it. The MT-32 sounds great, but the quality of the MI1 redbook audio produced tracks are far beyond what the little MT-32 box is capable of. One need only do a quick couple YouTube searches for the Secret of Monkey Island theme on MT-32 and CD audio to hear the difference. None of the instruments used on the CD recordings are from an MT-32.

I do see that PCGamingWiki incorrectly states that the CD version uses recorded MT-32 tracks but this is straight up not true.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 June 2022 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I figured they used different instrument pads. Good to know. I'd say both soundtracks are as good as one another for sure though.

• The Sarien Encounter

Heck yes!

I am looking into this though. I feel like I knew what synth was used but I cannot for the life of me remember. Doing some digging...

https://twitter.com/...770822913650688

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not a fan of the new look but I hope it grows on me while I play, which I will for sure.

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't care about the art. I'll preorder this if Ron let's me.

The ambiant toxicity have lead Ron Gilbert to stop communicating on the game as of now

User is offline   MObreck 

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 June 2022 - 07:02 AM, said:

The ambiant toxicity have lead Ron Gilbert to stop communicating on the game as of now

Not a fan of the new game's art style myself, but I can already imagine all the annoying edgybois who thought the most constructive way to express their disapproval with the art was to spout the most psychotic things they could think of onto Gilbert's social media accounts. The usual village idiots of the internet people like Anita Sarkeesian loved to cherry pick whenever she needed to farm some victim points. Sigh....

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Actually most of the negativity comes from Tim Schafer, who can’t take that Ron is seen as Mr. SCUMM while he’s seen as the guy who can’t budget a game to save his life,

• The Sarien Encounter

??? What?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options