Duke4.net Forums: So, the new live action Halo series just dropped... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, the new live action Halo series just dropped...

User is offline   jkas789 

And it is absolute trash. Yes I know the writers said that they couldn't give two fuck about the series story but:

Spoiler

Well that was an absolute amazing start to shit. And yes, I went and spoiled the whole episode because fuck this shit.

The only good good things from this piece of garbage is:

1.- The props look good, so at least they have that going for them. So are the sound effects. I guess someone on the production team actually cared about Halo there.
2.- The action that there is in this episode is fine.

Otherwise, this is a pass from me. And fuck it, I'm glad I pirated it before I decided to drop money on it.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I watched the trailer. TBH, I'm not a particular fan of the pretty cool guy so I may be biased here, but it seems that whatever they shoot these days, one is supposed to watch for the pretty pictures and immediately forget, without thinking deep into the stuff. Or even if this is not the intention, the end result seems just the same.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I was disappointed for more reasons than one. First off, I am not against them having their own story, but they should've at least kept in the lore of what makes the game so special. The story feels like every other show like this... it's like they all want to do the baby yoda thing and there has to be some obnoxious character the main character has to protect. It's so cliche. Him taking off his helmet is pathetic. If Karl Urban could put the Judge Dredd helmet on in the first 10 seconds of Dredd, never taking it off again, and still carry the performance, then it is just a poor actor if they cannot achieve that themselves. Every excuse they've made as to why they had to take the mask off is just masking that their lead actor apparently cannot act under a mask for long.

User is online   Mark 

I never played the games or read the books ( if any ), just watched the trailer. If it was a 2-3 hour movie I'd go to see it. It looks great. But if its like most sci-fi series these days, after a while the oohs and ahhs take a back seat to the character development and plots and thats where I find they become so similar to each other. My guess is a number of these shows would be best served by a 5 or 6 episode mini-series. But thats probably out of the question given the cost of producing the show. They need a whole season of viewers and advertisers to make it pay off.

This post has been edited by Mark: 31 March 2022 - 04:53 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Also, thought I'd mention that they have released episode 1 for free on YouTube. So, it doesn't seem likely this is going to make it to season 2. Successful shows don't put their first episode out for free like that lol.

I don't think I'll even bother with episode 2. Episode 1 was enough of a letdown, and I can't imagine it getting any better. I'll go see Sonic 2 instead.

User is offline   Steve 64 

Halo Tv Show is fucking garbage who ever made this shit needs to be fired.

Hey, at least we got to see Master Chief's butt cheek while he had sex with the female human covenant spy while Cortana discovers her cuckolding/voyeurism fetish.

The only thing I hope is that this ends so badly Microsoft shies from making multimedia content for Halo for 20 years.

What the fuck did I just watch?

Not only does Master Chief defects the army, takes his helmet off, and passes the time talking about his feelings. But he has sex with a covenant spy and then dies only for his dead body to be controlled by Cortana.

What the fuck?

EDIT: Yeah spoilers, but you know what? I'm beyond caring anymore. Fuck this show. Fuck everyone involved with this show that had the power to make narrative decisions.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 19 May 2022 - 07:57 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I really don't get why adapting this was so hard. I also really don't get anyone actively defending it in the lame ass ways that they do.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You aren't making this up, are you? They actually do this kinda BS in that show? In that case, I guess it's safe to assume there hasn't been any kind of quality control involved in the creation/scripting process.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostOpenMaw, on 19 May 2022 - 12:37 PM, said:

I really don't get why adapting this was so hard. I also really don't get anyone actively defending it in the lame ass ways that they do.

It's hard because writers and actors have massive egos and want to "make their mark" their own way instead of respecting the source material. This is always why adapting games into movies and TV shows always fails. Actors want their faces seen, writers want their stories told, so super heroes and space marines have to take all their helmets off to show us how good they can stare or cry. To date the only game movie to ever pull it off somewhat correctly and listen to fans was Sonic the Hedgehog. And even then, Jim Carrey spoke out against "listening to the mob" when that happened. But people in Hollywood just can't help themselves. They have to change it and "improve it" and make it "more relatable."
Translation: "The source material sucks, game stories suck, you're in the movie/TV realm now and we're far better so we can't do a straight adaptation. This is how it's really done. Suck it up."

Okay, you suck it up too, Paramount+. Nobody's watching. How's that feel?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 May 2022 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Steve 64 

About that Ugly Sonic was in chip and dale movie, I love Chip and Dale series but the movie wasn't great to me, also seems alot of people are PO about the Peter Pan thing which I can understand completely.

View PostNightFright, on 19 May 2022 - 01:35 PM, said:

You aren't making this up, are you? They actually do this kinda BS in that show? In that case, I guess it's safe to assume there hasn't been any kind of quality control involved in the creation/scripting process.

Fuck it I'm gonna drop more spoilers. The Master Chief fucking dies (at least as far as we can tell ) and his body get controlled like a fucking puppet by Cortana. Yeah, that was a thing that happened in the last episode. Fuck this fucking series.

The writers literally had ONE JOB. HOW DIFFICULT IS TO ADAPT HUMANS VS ALIENS IN SPACE GOD DAMN IT! THE PLOT WAS ALREADY DONE FOR THEM!

sarkl'byhgalskj.hg

EDIT: @Duke64 Jr. Shit you weren't kidding fam. Disney really are out there fucking up every last bit of nostalgia we had and milking it till it is dry huh.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 27 May 2022 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

They're doing shit like this on purpose to destroy people's cultural connection to the past and further atomize the individual.

• The Truth is in here

And I thought Star Trek Discovery was the most fucked-up franchise series there is.

• The Sarien Encounter

Almost everything on TV these days is like this to varying degrees of severity.

• The Truth is in here

The rise of streaming services made things a lot worse. In desperate need of new shows, they wouldn't shy back from anything now as long as it increases the size of a network portfolio. Quality isn't really a factor any more, it seems. Just flood consumers with all kinds of shit, hoping for some random success occasionally. Without decent concepts, proper scripts or capable actors, there's little to hope for these days.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 03 June 2022 - 01:19 PM, said:

Just flood consumers with all kinds of shit, hoping for some random success occasionally.

The part I don't understand, at least for game adaptations (or adaptations in general), is why these companies seem to purposely hire people that hate the source material...?

Because all this companies are full of people who are activists and don't care about the money, they just want to spread the message. Also gamers are full of toxic man children that need a lesson and I'm sure there are like two weirdos there that haven't moved on past gaymergate. It's like Trump, it completely broke some people.

I imagine many of then writers, producers, etc also don't really care about the IP. They really are narcissistic people that only care to leave their mark on a franchise while spreading their message. Subvert expectations and all that shit.

Fuck I hate the modern gringo cultural zeitgeist, and how it fucks everything over and spill into other countries. Now I have the same bullshit coming over to Mexico and the place is getting shittier now that race politics and gender bullshit got thrown into the mix. Thanks gringos.

View Postjkas789, on 03 June 2022 - 09:01 PM, said:

Now I have the same bullshit coming over to Mexico and the place is getting shittier now that race politics and gender bullshit got thrown into the mix. Thanks gringos.

Jesus christ.

• The Truth is in here

Motto seems to be: It's Halo, it's gonna sell, no matter what we do with it. Same with Discovery where they are like: Hey, let's bring a crew that looks like they should be in a Colgate toothpaste commercial, with a protagonist that constantly needs to serve the universe as if there was nobody else around to do the job, and let's make them use a ship that works with mushrooms. It sounds like a joke, but it's real. The only thing you can do is to pretend to yourself this crap was never created.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 June 2022 - 11:27 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNinety-Six, on 03 June 2022 - 06:45 PM, said:

The part I don't understand, at least for game adaptations (or adaptations in general), is why these companies seem to purposely hire people that hate the source material...?

this has been brought up elsewhere
diversity hire for writers, producers, etc. is now basically mandatory in hollywood
they have even admitted to throwing away superior scripts because they were written by white men, or the story had too many white people in it.

checking boxes is more important than qualifications or quality.

At the risk of derailing the thread,

View PostNightFright, on 03 June 2022 - 11:26 PM, said:

and let's make them use a ship that works with mushrooms.

what?

• The Truth is in here

I shit you not. They really did this. You can read the theory behind this nonesense here:
https://memory-alpha...spore_hub_drive

In general, this should neither run with the Star Trek label nor even sci-fi. It's just absolute BS. For me it stopped for good when the protagonist turned out to be an adoptive sister to Spock. They totally pulled that out of their asses.

Ah yeah, and the chief engineer is gay. Normally I wouldn't have any problems with that, but I did when his love interest became super-important after he died and came back for weird reasons. In general they were just focussing on their relationship and how they tried to get back into it after the resurrection act far too much, really rubbing it in. There's no way it doesn't annoy you eventually. And then there's that crewmember Tilly who is just so extremely pissing you off that you want to punch your TV whenever she appears. No idea what they were thinking when they wrote that character, but it went sideways.

Could go on for hours like this. Long story short, I threw the towel after S3 - but should have done it a lot sooner.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 June 2022 - 08:11 AM

View PostNightFright, on 04 June 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

Ah yeah, and the chief engineer is gay. Normally I wouldn't have any problems with that, but I did when his love interest became super-important after he died and came back for weird reasons. In general they were just focussing on that far too much, really rubbing it in. There's no way it doesn't annoy you eventually.

Definitely OT so putting my reply in spoilers:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 04 June 2022 - 09:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Classic Trek portrayed archetypes and speaks in allegories. New Trek attacks and ridicules targets and speaks literally. It's sloppy, one-sided, and stupid.

• The Truth is in here

There's "Strange New Worlds" now (Cpt. Pike crew, pre-Kirk) which returns to the episodic format of the original. Kinda curious about that one, haven't watched it yet. However, also kinda sceptical whether it's even still possible to get anything right related to Star Trek. The new movies (Kelvin timeline) were basically relabelled Star Wars, Discovery sucked, Picard didn't do much better in spite of some fan service moments, Section 31 (Discovery spinoff) I don't even wanna check if it's ever made... Ah yeah, and then there's still that cartoon comedy thing, Lower Decks. Ignoring that one, too.

They should have left it alone after that last (horrible) "Nemesis" TNG movie. All stories had been told, there was nothing left to show or do. Until that classic reboot which triggered all the rest. Now we are looking at the smoking debris of a once flourishing franchise.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 June 2022 - 03:47 PM

View PostNightFright, on 04 June 2022 - 02:21 PM, said:

They should have left it alone after that last (horrible) "Nemesis" TNG movie. All stories had been told, there was nothing left to show or do. Until that classic reboot which triggered all the rest.

Spoiler

View PostNightFright, on 04 June 2022 - 02:21 PM, said:

Ah yeah, and then there's still that cartoon comedy thing, Lower Decks. Ignoring that one, too.

As a fellow Star Trek enjoyer: Don't even consider its existence. You are far better without knowing what kind of shit show that turned out to be.

And yeah, Star Trek is functionally dead. Don't even make me start on Piccard.

• The Truth is in here

Picard ended for me at the end of S1 when Seven was suddenly revealed as lesbian or at least bisexual. That was absolutely needless and not indicated in any way whatsoever before and looked more like a rubbed-in "Oh yeah, and we did that as well" from the writers. How to ruin an established character. Not speaking of the fact that Patrick Stewart is actually not really playing Picard in that show, but himself.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options