Duke4.net Forums: metro 2033 gameplay - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

metro 2033 gameplay

User is online   Mark 

Has anyone here played Metro 2033 Redux? I'm wondering if it uses only wasd for player movement or if forward movement could be remapped to a mouse button. I'm thinking of buying it but wasd is a deal breaker for me.

User is offline   deus-ex 

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm wondering if it uses only wasd for player movement or if forward movement could be remapped to a mouse button.

I played both the original Metro 2033 release and the Redux version. The forward/backward movement commands can be remapped to mouse buttons in both editions. These are some of the most important player character movement functions I like to apply to mouse buttons in a game setup myself, so I should know. ;)

EDIT: Argh, shoot those damn typos. :)

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 08 March 2022 - 09:54 AM

User is online   Mark 

Thanks. I'll head to GOG and buy it. I was surprised to see my old system still beats the minimum requirements for playing.

My oddball setup of choice that I apply to all games is:
RMB forward
LMB fire
scroll wheel weapon choice
A for jump
Z for crouch
space for backward
E for use

I assume there will be a few more buttons I have to deal with. I hope there is auto-reload and auto-pickup. That means less keys. Hopefully not many. I have refused to buy most modern games because of too many keys required. The only exceptions I made were for Far Cry 2 and Oblivion. I'm a real stickler for simple control.

This post has been edited by Mark: 08 March 2022 - 10:01 AM

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks. I'll head to GOG and buy it. I was surprised to see my old system still beats the minimum requirements for playing.

The game is absolutely worth the coin, I expect you most probably to not be disappointed with it. It has some great movie-like moments, I was definitely blown away when I played it. If you like it, consider checking out Metro Last Light, too.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 08 March 2022 - 09:59 AM

User is online   Mark 

GOG has a deal going. 20 bucks for 2033, 30 bucks for 2033 and last light

This post has been edited by Mark: 08 March 2022 - 10:02 AM

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 10:02 AM, said:

That's not a bad deal, I'd say, 15 bucks per game. Be aware though, that both games have been offered for much lower prices in the past, especially during seasonal events like Halloween, Black Friday, Christmas, Easter as well as Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter sales. So, if you can wait...

Then again, there might be no seasons anymore for any of us in the future, looking at the current Ukraine war crisis. Who knows what's about to happen and how it affects the entire world? I apologize, I didn't mean to spoil your or anyone's mood. Just wanted to give you some facts to consider regarding your purchase decision process. :)

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 08 March 2022 - 10:53 AM

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 09:53 AM, said:

I hope there is auto-reload and auto-pickup.
Sorry to spoil the surprise, the answer is "No" and "No" to both expectations. It's not all bad though, instead of running over and auto-pickup ammo I'd like to have the control to decide when and where that happens. Metro 2033 / Last light is not your casual 3D monster shooter.

Regarding autoload, that would spoil the realism which this game certainly has. For example, there is a weapon wear system in the game.

Buckle up as you're in for a very good treat and experience.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 08 March 2022 - 11:02 AM

User is online   Mark 

I guess its not the end of the world. It didn't have those 2 auto things in Far Cry 2 either. And it had the weapon wear.

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 12:35 PM, said:

I guess its not the end of the world. It didn't have those 2 auto things in Far Cry 2 either. And it had the weapon wear.

Yeah, I loved Far Cry 2. Except for the f*ing reoccurring Malaria illness plot early in the game and not having available enough medicine or any at all. Thankfully you get rid of that for good later on. Too bad they abandoned lots of the functionality and technical feats in the follow-ups (Far Cry 3 and onwards).

User is online   Mark 

2 is the only one of the series I played. It happens to have the only editor besides Mapster that I was able to learn and use. Pushing and pulling or carving out landscape, painting it, place models everywhere. Way easy. I didn't finish it. I don't play games much any more. I occasionally fire it up in god mode and run or drive around. It works great with my Nvidia 3D glasses too.

This post has been edited by Mark: 08 March 2022 - 02:56 PM

User is online   Mark 

I bought 2033 and played it for a while. Its not the usual lay back in my chair and play casually. I have to sit up straight and alert and have the keyboard firmly on the desk instead of balanced on the chair arm. Framerate on my ancient system isn't too bad so I put on my Nvidia 3D glasses and I don't lose nearly as much framerate as I was expecting. All I can say is WOW how things really stand out. Just like with FarCry 2 and Oblivion which are my most modern action games. :o I'm haven't been much of a gameplayer for years so I'm actually glad for autosave or checkpoint save, whatever it is. I was getting killed a lot while I got familiar with controls and gameplay tactics.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 March 2022 - 08:31 AM

Hey there, nice of you giving feedback on your first impressions. As I said, you're in for a really good gaming experience, and the story is getting better and better as it progresses.

Note that the original non-redux version of Metro 2033 is a lot darker (lighting-wise) in certain areas, like the subway tunnels, and there you really need the flashlight to actually see something, which greatly adds to the atmosphere in terms of sneaking, hiding and ambushing. At times you are not able to clearly see what's in front of you or awaits around the corner.

The Redux version is missing a lot of these moments due to the overall increased lighting level and doesn't require making use of the flashlight that much, but it offers improved visuals and does run smoother compared to the original version.

Let me/us know how you perceived the game, once you played it through. I might have a little surprise waiting for you.

User is online   Mark 

Having the included benchmark program to run was real handy for quickly testing quality settings.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark, on 08 March 2022 - 10:02 AM, said:

late to the party, I picked it up for $5 today. Cheers. :dukeaffirmative:

User is online   Mark 

WTF? :( From GOG or was it Steam?
It doesn't matter. Just paypal a 10 dollar finders fee to me and we'll be close enough to even.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 March 2022 - 04:53 PM

User is offline   Hank 

GOG, Redux, Canada account.

Here are 10, when it was real 10, based on gold. We are even steven. :P
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options