Duke4.net Forums: Doom Mod - Day of the Toys - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Mod - Day of the Toys

Posted Image

New Doom project in the works and thought I'd share it here. Going back to Doom's roots with this one: no NPCs, no nonlinear hubs, just get to the exit and kill everything in sight.

Silicon Valley giant Virtucom opens a new branch for toys and games, and begins its clinical trials for AI-driven toys for children to hang out and interact with. The toys predictably run amok and turn the valley into a maelstrom of fire and death. As the head of security for the now ruined toy labs, you're on a mission to find your son Logan and get him out of the toy-infested warzone.

This is a Doom-engine remake of an old game I made years ago that was partly inspired by Bad Toys 3D and partly by a dumb horror movie screenplay I wrote ages ago. The music is all John Carpenter style royalty free synth and really adds a lot to the 80s horror movie atmosphere. All of the enemies are uniquely weird and deadly. The guns are pretty fun to use, too.

UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL RELEASE!

14 levels filled with punchy weapons and the most twisted monsters to ever grace the Doom engine.

Savage toys driven by an insanely woke AI have turned Silicon Valley into a war zone, and only you can locate and rescue your son before you both succumb to the "Day of the Toys". Enemies can be blasted, maimed, and even set on fire...but sometimes they still keep coming back for more!

DOWNLOAD

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

This one is already shaping up to be another winner. The guns feel punchy just watching the game, so that's a good sign. And I'll be damned, the atmosphere is doing a good job of making the whole evil toys thing actually seem somewhat threatening.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Surely it's a nice and creative concept for a mod and it looks like it's well executed regarding artworks, leveldesign and gameplay, which is what matters. Will keep an eye on this one.

User is offline   jkas789 

Looks good! I will play it on release.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's looking good.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Lol, the Chasm sound effect on the monkey. This has a very good atmosphere, man. Can't wait to see more!

User is offline   NNC 

That laughing sound effect from the purple whatever thing.... where did I hear that? It's not Earthworm Jim, but something from that era.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 10 February 2022 - 02:45 PM, said:

That laughing sound effect from the purple whatever thing.... where did I hear that? It's not Earthworm Jim, but something from that era.

I'm not sure where it came from, actually. Had that sound for years, and I think I found it on a generic sound effects site.

UPDATE: Demo is up. Have fun!

I can't seem to edit the OP to add the download there for some reason...

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 10 February 2022 - 08:44 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You can't edit posts after a certain amount of time. If you contact a moderator I think they can help you, however.

View PostJimmy, on 10 February 2022 - 11:08 PM, said:

You can't edit posts after a certain amount of time. If you contact a moderator I think they can help you, however.

I'm not even sure how to tell who the moderators are on here. Member search just lets me search by name or post count, etc.

• banned!

"Danukem", I think he's a mod around here. Not sure tho.

Edit: the readme is well worth reading. Like for real, I'm in hysterics. 101 on how to piss off everyone at Doomworld (which is good!)

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 11 February 2022 - 01:22 AM

View PostThrice Cursed, on 11 February 2022 - 12:58 AM, said:

the readme is well worth reading. Like for real, I'm in hysterics. 101 on how to piss off everyone at Doomworld (which is good!)

That's my MO nowadays. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

User is offline   Merlijn 

This looks really good! I agree with Ninety-six about those enemies, they still manage to come across as pretty creepy and unsettling despite being toys.

• banned!

I finished the demo yesterday. All the assets are used well and fit together like they were made for this project. The whole thing plays like a lost 80s B movie.

Guns felt good to use, but maybe the pistol felt a little overpowered? Seemed like I didn't need to use any of the other ones besides the automatic rifle, which was just fun more than anything.

No major complaints, really. I mean, it's not gonna blow your mind, but I enjoyed it and would play more.

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostImpieTheThird, on 11 February 2022 - 06:32 PM, said:

That's my MO nowadays. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

No doubt the irony is lost on the gatekeepers of the classic DOOM modding community. I suspect you would have been completely okay with dialing it back if they had handled Straydog or Dynamite Duchess in a diplomatic fashion rather than going full self righteous on you. Instead they made pissing them off part of the fun. They are the same breed of people that clutched their pearls over Mortal Kombat in the 90s yet they don't even realize it.

This post has been edited by MObreck: 12 February 2022 - 08:59 PM

View PostMObreck, on 12 February 2022 - 08:57 PM, said:

No doubt the irony is lost on the gatekeepers of the classic DOOM modding community. I suspect you would have been completely okay with dialing it back if they had handled Straydog or Dynamite Duchess in a diplomatic fashion rather than going full self righteous on you. Instead they made pissing them off part of the fun. They are the same breed of people that clutched their pearls over Mortal Kombat in the 90s yet they don't even realize it.

It's not "sticking it to Doomworld" so much as "giving catharsis to people who have been bullied/victimized by a shitty ideology."

Plus I think my last few projects turned out way more interesting by being a little topical.

Precocious rich girl explores a dangerous magic castle < Precocious rich girl explores a dangerous magic prison her mother made for her to overprotect her from a pandemic.

Yet another mad computer AI tries to exterminate humanity due to a superiority complex < Software company installs interactive toys with social media moderator AI programmed to purge non-woke accounts; toys begin purging people for real for the same reasons.

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 12 February 2022 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostImpieTheThird, on 12 February 2022 - 09:12 PM, said:

It's not "sticking it to Doomworld" so much as "giving catharsis to people who have been bullied/victimized by a shitty ideology."

Ah, gotcha. I guess I wouldn't say I have been directly bullied by such ideology so much as I have watched all my favorite escapisms get hijacked by it. I suppose I have Midwest privilege :P

This post has been edited by MObreck: 12 February 2022 - 09:23 PM

View PostMObreck, on 12 February 2022 - 08:57 PM, said:

They are the same breed of people that clutched their pearls over Mortal Kombat in the 90s yet they don't even realize it.

This is honestly one of the most frustrating parts. The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness. It's different for them because they're "morally correct." They're better than everyone else so they get to dictate the terms of morality... They know that those pearl-clutchers of the 90s thought the exact same way, but they lack the awareness to accept that maybe, just fucking maybe, that anyone who tries to become an arbiter of "artistic justice" are the same as anyone else, regardless of what their claims are.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 February 2022 - 11:43 PM

• banned!

Plus I think my last few projects turned out way more interesting by being a little topical.

Precocious rich girl explores a dangerous magic castle < Precocious rich girl explores a dangerous magic prison her mother made for her to overprotect her from a pandemic.

Yet another mad computer AI tries to exterminate humanity due to a superiority complex < Software company installs interactive toys with social media moderator AI programmed to purge non-woke accounts; toys begin purging people for real for the same reasons.

That readme came closest to being the 2020's version of 90's sociopolitical satire out of anything I've seen lately. It's just a shame it could only come out of the modding community, as a commercial game with that sort of satire would never be published by anyone. But keep it up, for real. Your attitude is refreshing.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Two new-ish members who actually fit in, in one week! The mods won't be happy about this.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostImpieTheThird, on 10 February 2022 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'm not even sure how to tell who the moderators are on here. Member search just lets me search by name or post count, etc.

I updated your OP with the demo link. Feel free to DM me next time you need something -- I wasn't paying attention to this thread tbh, although your project looks good and I commented on it in Discord.

I liked it. It wasn't quite clear where to go on the 4th level at first, but otherwise it was good. Kept wondering why I had so much ammo and why I couldn't duel-wield after getting another one, until I got the duel-wield pickup, and suddenly didn't need to use any other weapons except when I ran out of ammo. That said, the bolt-action rifle looks a bit out of place and the molotovs felt weak compared to other weapons. Since I think its based off the ones in Killing Time, that makes a lot of sense.

View PostDanukem, on 13 February 2022 - 02:00 AM, said:

I updated your OP with the demo link. Feel free to DM me next time you need something -- I wasn't paying attention to this thread tbh, although your project looks good and I commented on it in Discord.

Thanks man! Appreciate it. I'll be sure to give you a poke if I need help with anything.

View PostMObreck, on 12 February 2022 - 09:21 PM, said:

Ah, gotcha. I guess I wouldn't say I have been directly bullied by such ideology so much as I have watched all my favorite escapisms get hijacked by it. I suppose I have Midwest privilege :P

lol
I got burned by woke people many times, and had people i stood up for, or who stood up for me, receive the same treatment the victim got. I'm at the point where I'll stick it to wokeness every chance I get until it dies out, especially because so many people are afraid to do it.

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 13 February 2022 - 01:34 PM, said:

I liked it. It wasn't quite clear where to go on the 4th level at first, but otherwise it was good. Kept wondering why I had so much ammo and why I couldn't duel-wield after getting another one, until I got the duel-wield pickup, and suddenly didn't need to use any other weapons except when I ran out of ammo. That said, the bolt-action rifle looks a bit out of place and the molotovs felt weak compared to other weapons. Since I think its based off the ones in Killing Time, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm struggling with the weapon balance because of that. If I give the enemies more health, it turns into Heretic and every single enemy takes longer to kill than it should. Dunno if it'd make a difference to slow the pistol animations more.

AKA Snuggly Sniper.

User is offline   jkas789 

I was there for both the Dynamite Duchess and the Blade of Agony trashfire. I already hated doomworld (and to an extent the zdoom forums) but that really cemented it for me. It also caused a streisand effect in regards to Blade of Agony ironically. I think I have the most complete archive of Blade of Agony pre censorship on the internet archive and it is one of the most viewed and downloaded of my archives.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

At some point we need to do an uncensored 3.2 or whatever the latest version is

• banned!

The Doom thread on here is pretty massive and the most active gaming thread. This could be a place for Doomworld misfits. Some already have made their way here it seems. I'm sure there are more.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Mike, it's good to see you on here!

This place can use all the members it can get. In the wake of DNF being a disaster and every subsequent "Duke" project being an utter failure or cancelled in the womb, this community thrives on what it alone can churn out. Eduke32, Ion Fury, and the swath of mappers making user maps for Duke, Blood, Shadow Warrior and a half dozen other games.

I'm glad your here. I left a comment on the video you posted at the beginning. I look forward to checking this out.

As to RE: Topical. I have had this discussion on projects passed. I like to come up with small self contained ideas that can be plugged in. A gag, a set piece, a reference, a sign post. It can be anything, really, and i've been told by some people that "oh you shouldn't put that in there, it will just serve to upset people."

Personally, I don't have that fear. What's the point of going through life afraid you might upset someone? You end up not ever taking risks, and questioning every thought and word to the point that you don't ever say anything. If you are truly going to express yourself, in any form, you have to take the risk you might offend someone, somewhere.

And to watch all that happen with you in the Doom community was mind blowing. The irony of the game they are gathered around being such a visceral blood bath, and they're afraid of thoughts, and ideas.

Adding a fun random "maiming" feature where the common enemies sometimes lose limbs and change their states (i.e. anklebiters having legs blown off and crawling tenaciously after you, Mister Bunbuns losing an arm and switching to a pistola, etc). It's pretty freaky watching a demonic baby doll dragging itself after you to finish you off.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 04 March 2022 - 01:42 PM, said:

It's pretty freaky watching a demonic baby doll dragging itself after you to finish you off.

This reminds me of something specific I saw in another game at some point but I can't recall which one at the moment...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options