Duke4.net Forums: Reaper's DukePal - A New Palette made for Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's DukePal - A New Palette made for Duke3D

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Ever wanted to see blood look red like real blood and not like an orange juice? Ever wanted to have a bit more saturated blues? Then this might be for you

I posted this on the discord the other day, but now to finalize, I am posting this here as well. Anyways, DukePal is a custom palette that makes changes to reds, blues and orange ranges. Red are now more redder (and less orangish). Oranges are slightly more saturated and so are the Blues. There are two versions of the palette.pal inside the package. One only changes the reds+oranges and not the blues and the other changes the blues as well.

I tested the palette in EDuke32 and Raze, but should also work in other source port. For EDuke32, just place the palette.pal inside the folder and run the game. For Raze, just drag the palette.pal onto the Raze.exe and then run the game.

Feel free to use it anywhere and even in your projects/mods

EDIT Jan 16th: Updated to version 2!

Version 2 of Dukepal is here. This version contains 4 palette files inside 4 folders. The folder names are descriptive about which colors they change. The main changes from version 1 involve the changes to greens and the addition of 2 different variants of blue modifications. One of them (more saturated blues) is the same as v1 and the other (mildly saturated blues) is made to address the issue of blues sticking out too much in the v1's blues.

Comparison screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Do5uY0J

Download:
Attached File  Reaper's DukePal V2.zip (125.35K)
Number of downloads: 122

Screenshots:
https://cdn.discorda...3/Duke_0001.png
https://cdn.discorda...0/Duke_0002.png
https://cdn.discorda...7/Duke_0003.png
https://cdn.discorda...8/Duke_0004.png
https://cdn.discorda...2/Duke_0005.png

(excuse me for not being able to make discord screenshots directly show)

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm not sure if it's my screen (which is highly saturated and I can't fix it), but I don't actually see a difference.

EDIT: I did side-by-side comparisons and okay I do see a slight difference. Again though maybe it's just my monitor.

Attached Image: duke0317.png

Attached Image: duke0318.png

But for the sake of comparison, here are the two shots for everyone else to look at, too. First is default palette, second is Reaper's.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 10 January 2022 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostNinety-Six, on 10 January 2022 - 11:59 AM, said:

I'm not sure if it's my screen (which is highly saturated and I can't fix it), but I don't actually see a difference.

EDIT: I did side-by-side comparisons and okay I do see a slight difference. Again though maybe it's just my monitor.

Attachment duke0317.png

Attachment duke0318.png

But for the sake of comparison, here are the two shots for everyone else to look at, too. First is default palette, second is Reaper's.

Slight difference is the word yes..

Really? You guys only notice a small difference there. I guess it could be a monitor thing, but I myself see a pretty decent difference between the 2 screenshots posted by Ninety Six.

Anyway, making that room red is not the real reason I made the palette. The main reason is so that blood doesn't look too orange (which for me it always did)

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 10 January 2022 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I find this to be quite nice looking on my display. This reminds me of what a "vivid" display option on some TV monitors does to color, so it isn't too intense that it all looks way too colorful but it isn't that drastically different from the source. Great effort, ReaperAA.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

At the very least, your changes are not offensive.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

This is great! But did you change the ugliest color? Green.

View PostReaperAA, on 10 January 2022 - 12:46 PM, said:

Really? You guys only notice a small difference there. I guess it could be a monitor thing, but I myself see a pretty decent difference between the 2 screenshots posted by Ninety Six.

It must just be a monitor thing, then, yeah. Mine really blows out the reds to the point where even varying shades of red in the same image can blend together.

Oh well. I still respect the effort, as how orange the game's reds are always bothered me, too.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

So far I like this a lot. It seems like the difference in game is greater than what what the screenshots show (somehow).

The only issue I have so far is that in some contexts the blues seem oversaturated:

Posted Image

The water color was already cartoonishly blue, but now it is moreso and it reminds me of when you put one of those super blue toilet cleaner solutions into the bowl. However, the new blue looks great on freezer projectiles and enemies.

I also think the blue does not blend very well into grays with this palette. You can see that in the graffitti in the background. Same thing on the magazine shelves (not pictured) -- the blue pixels really stick out now.

View PostDanukem, on 11 January 2022 - 02:56 AM, said:

The only issue I have so far is that in some contexts the blues seem oversaturated:

The water color was already cartoonishly blue, but now it is moreso and it reminds me of when you put one of those super blue toilet cleaner solutions into the bowl. However, the new blue looks great on freezer projectiles and enemies.

I also think the blue does not blend very well into grays with this palette. You can see that in the graffitti in the background. Same thing on the magazine shelves (not pictured) -- the blue pixels really stick out now.

Yeah, this is true. While I like that the blues are more vibrant and colorful, it does make the aesthetics a bit more cartoony at points. The changes to blues where made primarily for E2 of Duke3D (or similar environments) in mind. That is the reason why I provided two versions of the palette with one version omitting the saturated blue changes.

Though with that said, I may look into tweaking the blues to be a bit less saturated than they are now.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaperAA, on 11 January 2022 - 03:17 AM, said:

Though with that said, I may look into tweaking the blues to be a bit less saturated than they are now.

Yeah I think something in between would be perfect. The vanilla palette has very muted blues which is good for the sprites that have blue pixels sprinkled in with gray and other colors, but they are a little too muted.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostReaperAA, on 11 January 2022 - 03:17 AM, said:

And I'll second Brullov's request - some greens that actually look like the natural world. I realize this might change the night vision display, but I think it could still work.

Having used this for a bit, I can say I definitely notice the blue changes a lot more. In fact that specific intense blue reminded me a lot of Doom and how Duke assets looked when converted over to Doom's palette. Almost 1:1, actually.

I actually rather like the intensity to be perfectly honest; the only problem I have is the already-pointed out shades of blue-grey used for some color transitions. That said, I can also understand Dan's argument about how it kind of sticks out against Duke's otherwise somewhat more realistic/muted palette.

Since the blues in my palette tend to stick out, I decided to make another palette with alternate changes to blues that seem to not stick out as much (although they are also obviously less vibrant than my currently released version). Which is why I will make sure to include both versions of palettes in my next version of Dukepal package.

Comparison: https://imgur.com/a/iqoELER

I am also working on altering the greens to be a bit less brown/yellow-ish. Though I am trying to be conservative with my changes because changing greens too much would drastically alter the atmosphere/feel of certain maps (like E2L4). What do you guys think.

Comparison: https://imgur.com/a/hkzJEGT

User is offline   Lunick 

I love the adjusted greens

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm really looking forward to the next update of this palette. For those of us who use a lot of vanilla maps with their mods, the palette is something we have learned to accept on the assumption that changes to it would fuck up the way maps look. But actually, this shows that is not the case. It's pretty exciting to see the game in a new light.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Subtle but a lot better. Great job on the greens

Version 2 of Dukepal is here. This version contains 4 palette files inside 4 folders. The folder names are descriptive about which colors they change. The main changes from version 1 involve the changes to greens and the addition of 2 different variants of blue modifications. One of them (more saturated blues) is the same as v1 and the other (mildly saturated blues) is made to address the issue of blues sticking out too much in the v1's blues.

Comparison screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Do5uY0J

Download:
Attached File  Reaper's DukePal V2.zip (125.35K)
Number of downloads: 122

(sidenote: is there no way to edit the OP of this thread after a certain amount of time?)

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 16 January 2022 - 12:56 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaperAA, on 16 January 2022 - 12:13 AM, said:

(sidenote: is there no way to edit the OP of this thread after a certain amount of time?)

That is correct, but I did it for you just now. The attachment is now the new version and I quoted your version 2 description.

Played with the new version (all colors but with less saturated blues), and yeah I like this a lot actually. For whatever reason I was able to notice the red shifts a lot more in the lava caves of The Abyss; really brought out the "lava" aspect.

I don't got anything to critique here, at least as far as E1 and E2 go. I wonder how this palette will play with some of the expansions...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options