Duke4.net Forums: 8-Bit Polymost mode - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8-Bit Polymost mode

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Back in the day, when i was still using older EDuke32 builds and JFDuke, i noticed that, aside from default 8-Bit classic mode, there was also an screen option for 8-Bit Polymost mode. Initially I thought it's same thing like 16 and 32 bit modes while the only difference was that it supports 256 colors only just like 8-Bit classic mode. I did an experiment and tried HRP with it but didn't displayed any Hi-Res textures nor 3D Models. Was this screen mode actually unfinished?

Generally i am wondering what was it's purpose and why it's abandoned later?

Thanks.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It was Ken's work in progress version of the polymost renderer that was never really meant as a daily driver.
Think of it as a stepping stone proof of concept implementation before moving to proper GPU acceleration of it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don’t think there’s any reason for it to exist anyway now that there are shaders to replicate classic colours?

You can even make polymost look like the original classic renderer with colour banding and y-shearing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options