• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D BETA BUILD 0.995

User is offline   Duke 9D 

<link removed>

User is offline   Tekedon 

Duke 9D, on 26 November 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

<link removed>

Interesting.. Where did you obtain this?

Tekedon, on 26 November 2021 - 10:32 AM, said:

Interesting.. Where did you obtain this?

Found it oun YouTube. Was posted last month & seems to be an exclusive leak...

This post has been edited by Duke 9D: 26 November 2021 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

It seems more like a fanmade frankenbuild copying elements from one version into another

User is offline   NNC 

I gave this an upvote too early. I thought this will show us the original Occupied Territory with the Battlelord. Meh, so again Gingis Khan again behind this one.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yeah, it's just yet another fake that combines the leaked 0.99 shareware with full version's data (hence link removed) and random cherrypicked files.

Based on what I've heard, they seemed to have milestone dates and this was the case already with LD so you can always use that as a good way to spot fakes.
FYI, even the one TX showed was marked as a december beta or something.

I'd say it's safe to ignore anything pretending to be 0.9xx

oasiz, on 27 November 2021 - 06:10 AM, said:

Yeah, it's just yet another fake that combines the leaked 0.99 shareware with full version's data (hence link removed) and random cherrypicked files.

Based on what I've heard, they seemed to have milestone dates and this was the case already with LD so you can always use that as a good way to spot fakes.
FYI, even the one TX showed was marked as a december beta or something.

I'd say it's safe to ignore anything pretending to be 0.9xx

Thanks for the info & getting to the bottom of this!

User is offline   NNC 

But why do some people find entertainment in creating fake betas? That's so incredibly lame.

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

The Watchtower, on 27 November 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

But why do some people find entertainment in creating fake betas? That's so incredibly lame.

They want attention, by fooling beta junkies who don't know any better.

Or maybe is just how they cope with the abscence of actual prototypes.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

At this point, even if they aren't public, I think every pre-release build of Duke3D that exists has been documented. It is extremely unlikely any will show up out of the blue that no one knew about.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Similar things happen with other games. HL2 has a bunch of fake "E3 2002" things or even "E3 2001" which are just lazy edits of the leak with some maps compiled from the wc map pack that could pass off as hypothetical e3 demo maps. These consist of just a small fraction of what people have been trying to pass as "forgotten beta"

It's mostly people just craving about the, I guess "hypotheticals in unobtanium"
Like a schoolyard hoax combined with a dream.
Except guess combining 0.99 data with "full version" stuff could be considered beneficial as it exhibits partial coding for full version stuff and can increase the scope of exploration.

Based on this I would instead like to see a mod that "restores" 0.99 to a state where you could actually use the registered stuff without barriers and do the rest of the game.
Although this will involve more than editing just few hex strings as many things are introduced at compile-time instead of just a runtime flag.

Need to remember that a lot of the EP2/EP3 stuff just wasn't done, some map effects might simply not work.

User is offline   NNC 

oasiz, on 27 November 2021 - 09:52 PM, said:

Need to remember that a lot of the EP2/EP3 stuff just wasn't done, some map effects might simply not work.

AFAIK most maps by Blum were shaping up nicely at this point, Spaceport, Tiberius Station, Lunar Reactor, Dark Side and Derelict were more or less done layout-wise.

What I still don't know, how Levelord started his work at 3DRealms. Was The Abyss his initial level for the game? Did he have others in the bag at this point? Sweeney maybe?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

EP2/EP3 were rushed to completion, especially EP3.
While layout might have been done for the most part, they are clearly still WIP as seen on existing screenshots and videos / 2D map posts.
This I would say is the the time consuming part as you'd need to get stuff actually working, remove placeholders and most likely fix a bunch of regressions over the months related to various game side changes.

Considering that the main gimmick of Abyss was slopes which got added around late august, I would say that it's a very late map.
Need to remember that the may video showing the space map was confirmed to be an early warp factor, timing the video for may I would say that LL started that around april. It has a lot of LL telltales and even some concepts that survived mostly so I don't think Allen worked on this.

During 0.99 all focus was obviously on making shareware work well so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the full game stuff was just mostly on pause until 96.
The game changed a ton during the latter half of 95.

From what they did seems very similar to what we did with Fury where the preview campaign's experience ended up shaping a lot of major changes, tweaks and features that helped change many of the full game's maps and balancing, although we had more than just a couple of months to pull it together.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Holy shit you are edgy, dude.

Looking at early Episode 3/4 stuff, it seems like even pretty late into development they were still trying to do the large city block thing like that level from LameDuke quite a bit before it got scaled down to what we got.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Gingis Khan, on 29 November 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

...Blood and Ice...

Credit where credit is due, at least it branded itself as a stand-alone mod :P

Anyway, that sort of shit talk doesn't belong here.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Jimmy, on 29 November 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

Holy shit you are edgy, dude.

Looking at early Episode 3/4 stuff, it seems like even pretty late into development they were still trying to do the large city block thing like that level from LameDuke quite a bit before it got scaled down to what we got.

Yeah, you could say that derelict is probably the only map that fits the original grand scale of things, some maps in EP3 got a lot of larger areas chopped in nearly half.

FYI, some maps in LD such as L6 and M1 were built on "then" maximum map grid size, you could tell that they really tried to push towards a maximum size at one point. L6 has the underwater areas outside of this "old grid" area as well, further giving some insight on the map's age and evolution (Board size was increased on Aug 94) :)

User is offline   NNC 

It's still strange George greenlighted Derelict after all the major cuts and all the big framerate concerns of that era. I think they probably wanted that level to show Build Engine's strength, and expected better computer performance almost a year later than at the vanilla game's release, when most of the cuts happened. IIRC episode 4 didn't have much lost content, some levels were glued from previous abandoned works, but no big losses like in episode 3, when Rabid Transit, Bank Roll, Flood Zone, LA Rumble and Hotel Hell were all subject of massive cuts. That's why I love Sewer so much. Despite it's flaws related to it's unfinishedness, it's the only level made by Levelord for episode 3 that kept its original identity, and shows how the episode might have looked without the cutting is shipping policy. I'm pretty sure if they wanted it to be in the game, the entire left section of streets and sewers below would have been removed.

As for L6, it was a giant missed opportunity for Allen Blum to not redo this one for World Tour with all the limitations gone. I guess he had his visions of Mirage Barrage and Golden Carnage, which are both super levels with great scaling, but adding an L6 style city with the same size would have brought the episode a lot closer to the classic IP. Possibly he didn't really care about it by this time, but still he should have done it reworking the old betas instead of laying an egg and showing us his middle finger with that awful final level.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Duke was originally meant to be released mid/late 95, shareware 1.0 came out just after the year changed and it HAD to run well on hardware of the time or people wouldn't buy it and it would gain a bad reputation.
Later on Quake did encourage a new baseline system config, 486 was mostly out and more people had pentiums by 97. Atomic had a HUGE perf advantage.

As for cuts, It's easy to think that "more is better" but a lot of times when designing levels you get to a point where streamlining progression and areas really helps. Having things spread across a larger surface area vs. having things nicely interconnected and work well also in DM. Some things were cut to get the product out but there were "cuts" that really made for a better map overall. Remember that these are WIP maps and it might be that even the designer wasn't 100% happy with how things were.
At least the LA Rumble's "expanded areas" were unfinished, mostly copypaste rooms combined existing things we're familiar with, but spread further away or completely missing. In some cases it was clearly for perf but there are cases where the extra areas were just boring dead ends or filler. Don't look too closely to "cutting is shipping" :)

As much as I love L6, doing it again at a scale what they had planned originally would likely have resulted in a strange level as it's clearly meant to be more like an hour long epic, would've been out of place on WT I think. L6 seems to be a result of limit removals and experimentation, but an open level like that is a nightmare to make work with Build and it's AI. May/95 build did try to piece a progression together but even then it kind of feels more like a random show for the demoreel.

Posted Image

User is offline   ck3D 

Maybe the real betas were the friends we made along the way.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

That screen tearing in the video, edit DUKE3D.CFG to change video mode to S3 optimized (mode 5) to get rid of it.

User is offline   NNC 

ck3D, on 30 November 2021 - 06:10 PM, said:

Maybe the real betas were the friends we made along the way.

Nah, this is the only relevant post in this thread.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I got rid of the shit on this thread

Posted Image

The fuck was even that

So now it looks like I'm replying with Duki Nuki to... nothing

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Phredreeke, on 02 December 2021 - 05:41 AM, said:

Your Duki Nuki wasn't for in vain. ;)

https://forums.duke4...058#entry367058

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

ROFL

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Sometimes I think that he's your reply to everything

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options