Duke4.net Forums: Polymost hang - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymost hang

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I've mentioned this in another thread, but that was in the form of a question to something that seemed unrelated, so now I'm giving its official old thread separate from speculation.

9 out of every 10 times I try to play with the polymost renderer, eduke will hang after just a few seconds. It's usually not even enough time to get out of the menu, but the few times I escaped to the actual game didn't help. This crash is so bad I have to use ctrl+alt+delete, and even then I don't even get to the menu. All that does is finally get Windows to realize the program is no longer responding.

Nothing shows up in the logs when this happens, only that it says it's "waiting for OpenGL call" or something to that effect but nothing else. This is the same across multiple revisions.

And no, this does not happen to other OpenGL games, at least as far as I can tell. If something about OpenGL is damaged on my machine, I don't know of a way to test/fix it.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

No (debug) log, no help. Sorry.

View PostLeoD, on 27 September 2021 - 08:31 AM, said:

I completely forgot the debug build was a thing, my bad.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Just curious:
- Did you get a crashlog? (backtrace DLL needed alongside the EXE)
- How much physical RAM do you have?
- Try without the voxel pack (I strongly assume this is the culprit)

Possible solutions:
1)
Increase the cache size by adding CacheSize = xxxxxxxxx to the [Setup] section of your eduke32.cfg file (default seems to be 96 MiB).
I have 631242752 for 602 MiB in my cfg, but I can't remember where that came from.
An entry in a DEF file like cachesize xxxxxx might override your eduke32.cfg entry. (Check the log.)

2)
Increase some internal buffer by adding r_drawpolyVertsBufferLength "xxxxxx" to your settings.cfg file (default is "30000").
Deduced from the last line of your log. May be related to your issue, maybe not.

[EDIT:]When your game hangs, try ALT-TABbing through your running applications and look for an "Assertion" window. Might have some additional information.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 27 September 2021 - 12:13 PM

View PostLeoD, on 27 September 2021 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just curious:
- Did you get a crashlog? (backtrace DLL needed alongside the EXE)

I extracted the .dll from the zip before running the debug build, but I'm not sure what to look for as far as a crashlog. Or if there is more to setting up the .dll than just extracting it.

- How much physical RAM do you have?

8 GB.

- Try without the voxel pack (I strongly assume this is the culprit)

This happens regardless of the presence of the voxel pack. I honestly completely forgot I even had it installed since I turned it off some time ago and never properly uninstalled it. It's only in that directory though, and not some autoload.

Nonetheless this happened since before that time, and also happens no matter what mod or vanilla setup I play with.

[EDIT:]When your game hangs, try ALT-TABbing through your running applications and look for an "Assertion" window. Might have some additional information.

Couldn't find anything of the sort. It wouldn't even let me alt-tab until the "not responding" message came up.

Since this is a Polymost issue, I'm thinking it's the GPU. Specifically:
OpenGL information
 Intel Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4252

Integrated graphics chip that is almost 10 years old. May be a driver issue.

176 ms seems unusually long to load a single texture:
Load tile 2503: p0-m517-e0 hires/atomic.png... cached... 176 ms
Load tile 2499: p0-m517-e0 hires/dukenukem3d.png... cached... 44 ms
polymost_waitForSubBuffer(): Had to wait for the drawpoly buffer to become available.  For performance, try increasing buffer size with r_drawpolyVertsBufferLength.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 September 2021 - 10:57 AM, said:

Integrated graphics chip that is almost 10 years old. May be a driver issue.

So what would you suggest?

I had these issues when my video card was overheating. If you're playing with V-Sync and frame rate limiter off, it's prone to cause overheating.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options