Duke4.net Forums: Clickbait site twists Randy's words into implying a Duke game is in development - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clickbait site twists Randy's words into implying a Duke game is in development  "formerly "A new Duke Nukem game *might* be on the cards""

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Quote:

"New Duke Nukem game in development at Gearbox Software

UPDATE: Gearbox is also making a Duke Nukem film, and it's possible
Randy Pitchford was talking about this movie and not a new game
"

The 'announcement' couldn't be less informative, and could turn out to mean anything, or even nothing at all. But I thought I'd post it anyway, for anyone who has enough interest and even an atom of hope that Gearbox could and would be willing to make a good Duke Nukem game.

Source: Read the rest of the announcement here

User is offline   gemeaux333 

https://tv.streamfab...-2021?seek=1835

User is offline   FRVIND 

View PostKerr Avon, on 19 September 2021 - 03:42 AM, said:

Quote:

"New Duke Nukem game in development at Gearbox Software

UPDATE: Gearbox is also making a Duke Nukem film, and it's possible
Randy Pitchford was talking about this movie and not a new game
"

The 'announcement' couldn't be less informative, and could turn out to mean anything, or even nothing at all. But I thought I'd post it anyway, for anyone who has enough interest and even an atom of hope that Gearbox could and would be willing to make a good Duke Nukem game.

Source: Read the rest of the announcement here

Nice but the important thing is that whatever they do, it remains the style of Duke Nukem with all the old staff of models as a starting point, and then above all that you invent (or upgrade) something similar to Mapster for personal inventiveness. Otherwise it will be short-lived

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

At this point I hope neither project comes out. There's way more to dread than be excited about.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I fixed your thread title.

Dear fellow Duke fans, please stop being so gullible and rabid.

I like the enthusiasm though.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 19 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostHendricks266, on 19 September 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

Never!

User is offline   NNC 

It's september now and we still didn't get the simple happy 25th birthday message from the Gearbox.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 19 September 2021 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Because of how badly they get trashed here all year long?

View PostMark, on 19 September 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Because of how badly they get trashed here all year long?

I think he means for the franchise itself.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Yes, it's much more accurate than my title was, thanks.

Oh, I doubt many people would see that 'news' article as indicating that a new Duke game was even remotely likely to be in production. It was just another mention of Duke on the 'net, and we do like to discuss these (non-)announcements. It does beg the question yet again though; why aren't Gearbox making a new Duke game, when there are still hardcore fans who would love such a game? It doesn't have to be a genre defining classic, nor even just the next step in first person shooter evolution. Just give us a good game with the stuff we loved in DN3D - realistic locations, a not too serious but not too surreal feel the to the game, a wide selection of varied weaponry that all look identifiably different (and make it so that Duke can carry EVERY weapon at once), interactive and sometimes even destructable scenery, secrets to be found, non-recharging health, not an open world (they can be great, but many of us are bored of them now) but semi-linear levels (that still have some alternate routes), and basically just make it fun and replayable. The Duke name alone would sell quite a few copies, and the fact that it is an old-school (in all the right ways) game would help endear it to those of us who don't like the way the first person genre has largely gone this past ten to fifteen years.

But, as Ninety-Six implies, if Gearbox did make another Duke game, I wouldn't expect it to be much good. Oh well, we can still dream.

View PostKerr Avon, on 20 September 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

It does beg the question yet again though; why aren't Gearbox making a new Duke game, when there are still hardcore fans who would love such a game?

Two main reasons. The first is that they think the brand is poison given the reception of DNF, the disaster of Critical Mass, and the low sales of World Tour. They don't seem to see that all three came out half-baked at best and that's the real cause of their failure.

Because for some fucking reason media companies refuse to cite a product's quality as a reason for failure, instead going for "well nobody likes this brand I guess."

Second reason, the political climate. I don't believe for a second that Gearbox gives a crap about what is and isn't politically correct. They only care about pandering to the loud crowd thinking it will save their bottom dollar.

And Duke Nukem stands for everything the woke crowd hates.

The Duke name alone would sell quite a few copies

Unfortunately this is the very mindset that put Duke into the place he is now. GBX seems to be under the impression that Duke is as big a name as he was in the late 90s/mid-2000s, and as a result can afford to completely cheap out on products bearing the name. They think the name alone will justify half-assing every game they come out with. And then when it flops, they blame the brand name and not the lazy unfinished games they push out.

I wish Duke's name still held that kind of power, but it simply doesn't. It's been way too long since his heyday, there was an infamous hiatus where even the spinoffs stopped coming out, and Randy over here keeps throwing Duke around in blind ignorance, sullying the brand with low-quality releases.

The only ones who care about Duke Nukem anymore are us. It's a tragic reality, but reality it still is.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 20 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Reminder:

Saints Row managed to surpass Duke Nukem with how edgy, perverted and offensive it's humor could go.

Now it looks like this:
Posted Image

And now Duke is owned by the same parent company.

Civie was right, Sometimes, dead is better.

actually, the site gave a link to the source, the segment of the Embracer podcast wtih the aforementionned interviews : https://tv.streamfab...-2021?seek=1835
from what we can learn from these interviews :
Randy Pitchford (Gearbox CEO) said they have project for their existing/historical licences in the work (for Duke Nukem among other) but he wasn't very specific (understandably)... besides he also said in an other interview several days earlier that he was also working on a Brothers In Arms game but cannot say more until it reach the end of its development (which is already too much said, if you get my drift)
Sean Haran (Gearbox CBO) on his side have been more specific on the projects under the hence of Gearbox Entertainment that is about non games projects based on the licences owned by Gearbox :
-the movie adaptation of Duke Nukem is getting Evan Daugherty, the writer of (among other) "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Tomb Raider 2018"
-Brothers In Arms is getting a linear series, the themes aborded in the series are the sames that those aborded in the game

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 September 2021 - 09:34 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 September 2021 - 01:32 PM, said:

The only ones who care about Duke Nukem anymore are us. It's a tragic reality, but reality it still is.

Sorry to contradict you Ninety Six, but there are plethora of peoples who cares about the Duke and never visit this website and understand that he have to evolve slightly to survive and to make a successfull comeback and they express themselves on John St John Facebook/Tweeter among other
Randy Pitchford on his side have understood that as well and that even if Duke Nukem is still very beloved, you can see it in the pop culture and while visiting the social networks, Duke's detractors are just more noisy now than they were back then also because of social networks... but as Duke Nukem is not a high budget super zeroes movie you can get at an infernal rate of 2 per weeks, it takes time and a new mindset to get a successfull comeback, plus he makes no hasty conclusions based on Duke Nukem Forever (they just made it shipable, because it wasn't in the first place) he loves personnally (like Alien Colonial Marines, except they have put their personnal commitment of heart and soul and money in this last one) , Critical Mass (that was a trainwreck Gearbox had no involvement it) or World Tour (was mainly done to please Allen Bloom and Levelord who had solid projects for a 5th episode) sells , and don't care about political correctness or political climate : just look at Borderlands , they are big enough to not have to fear/suffer that kind of pressures

Yet again, see no offense in what i say Ninety Six, I just speak my mind, and even if these interviews comfort me in what I have been assessing for a long time, I/we will just have to wait for more formal news/informations, Gearbox is not the only company being afraid of hyping/overhyping, just look at Retro Studio / Metroid Prime 4 to see what its all about in the industry :D ;)
On an other hand, Duke Nukem cannot have anything to do with wokism, as he don't give a shit about politic as he say himself :D ;)

But, as Ninety-Six implies, if Gearbox did make another Duke game, I wouldn't expect it to be much good. Oh well, we can still dream.

Who told you they haven't already been working on a new games for years by now or that it couldn't be as good (and possibly better) than the previous games ? ;) :D

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Some of you people are seriously so delusional and seem to live in an alternate reality from everyone else. Oh wow Duk can't be woke cause dat dont fit his image. They don't give a fuck about ruining your favorite franchises. They do it all the time. You think a yellow haired man with muscles who wants to save our babes will somehow escape total castration? Duke will be crucified as a sign to all the the CIS gendered white males out there that "their time is over". You win the special olympics if you believe in a different outcome. But that's ok, wouldn't want to be ableist - you have equal value to everyone else. Bless your little heart and I look forward to all your expressed hopes and suggestions over a topic that's been thoroughly done to death on this forum and elsewhere.

And Borderlands? Wtf is threatening about that? It's just some online game with characters wearing gimp suits. Very LGBT friendly.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 September 2021 - 01:32 PM, said:

Because for some fucking reason media companies refuse to cite a product's quality as a reason for failure, instead going for "well nobody likes this brand I guess."

Because that leaves the producers without any responsibility.

View Postgemeaux333, on 21 September 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

but there are plethora of peoples who cares about the Duke and never visit this website and understand that he have to evolve slightly to survive and to make a successfull comeback

Making him politically ""correct"" or whatever is not evolution. For better or for worse, Duke is a product of his time. He's an over-the-top 90s movie action hero, that's a part of him as much as the hair and muscles. You change that? he's not Duke Nukem anymore, doesn't matter how the game's called.

Neither the new Dooms or Wolfensteins had that "problem": both Doomguy and BJ Blazkowicz had 0 personality, they where nothing more than a face on your hud.

As for Shadow Warrior? They could get away with changing Lo Wang because Shadow Warrior wasn't that well know. I mean, everybody knew about Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem, but Shadow Warrior? It didn't help that there was only 1 game, not a series, like the rest.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 21 September 2021 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Sorry to contradict you Ninety Six, but there are plethora of peoples who cares about the Duke and never visit this website and understand that he have to evolve slightly to survive and to make a successfull comeback

I'd rather he be dead.

Who told you they haven't already been working on a new games for years by now or that it couldn't be as good (and possibly better) than the previous games ? ;) :D

Gearbox did. When they failed to make the bleeding rerelease a competent product that was stable bare minimum, and then overcharged for it. When they rushed out World Tour and made it buggier than the freaking DOS version.

They may have contracted Nerve but it's clear that from the beginning Gearbox couldn't care less about any sort of quality control.

You take one look at the kind of support classic Doom got over the last three decades, even before the unity ports, with a steady stream of rereleases (half of which were as bonus content rather than standalone) and actual care put into them...

and then look at World Tour and tell me it's even a fraction of what Doom has. I dare you to look me in the eye and tell me World Tour was even passable. WT had good music and the new levels by themselves are fine enough. But $20 for 8 new levels and garbage optimization, wrapped up in a package that threatens to black screen of death on boot, and makes the DOS version look like a perfectionist Valve game for all the bugs it adds. For christ's sake they couldn't even be assed to listen to their own audio before going "yep this is good for release please give us $20 for slapping our ass against the keyboard and calling it a day."

It's inexcusable.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 21 September 2021 - 08:21 PM

User is offline   FRVIND 

Any programmer or developer who gets their hands on Duke must be an old Duke player and they aren't. Then there is a problem of visibility: many do not know of the existence of this forum or at least do not know the daily efforts of many people to improve Duke

View PostFRVIND, on 21 September 2021 - 10:51 PM, said:

many do not know of the existence of this forum or at least do not know the daily efforts of many people to improve Duke

This is not helped by WT's poor modding state. They allowed custom maps through tightly gritted teeth, but as far as I can tell it's impossible to modify the con files to expand the scope of modability.

At least in the official version.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 22 September 2021 - 12:33 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Duke has secretly been a roided up lesbian this entire time

now you can release any game you want

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostForge, on 22 September 2021 - 04:45 AM, said:

Duke has secretly been a roided up lesbian this entire time

now you can release any game you want

Just imagine:
"I identify as a non-binary uber-lesbian... Now it's time to kick some ass!"

As Jon St John said : "Duke will always be Duke" and "Nobody can own the Duke"
he also always suggest to bind Duke Nukem to a sidekick to make him actual, his son Deuce for example (ref: the comic from ardat lilitu)
and no, Duke being dead is not an option (it never is) because death is final and you cannot press rewind, and life always give you a chance and room for recovery after suffering and even finding back success after decades being forgotten (like Winona Ryder among other in a theme that was very familiar to her)
You don't have to fear/suffer wokism/etc... when you are a director (like Tim Burton) or a producer (like Jonathan M. Shiff) with authority, so there is no reason that an important developper/publisher like Gearbox which is always expanding and more productive (not many companies can make games that sell 12 million copies in 18 months in present days) and attractive (to both players and employees) than either Bethesda, Blizzard or Valve as of now couldn't succeed in bringing back a belove character who found success in the past and is still present in the memories of players of all ages and pop culture (and still beloved by just as much peoples) while keeping him faithfull to his roots
Just as I always say : "The audiance you make in a few weeks you loose it in a few weeks, the audiance you make in a few years you keep it your entire life"
The only drama I see is the fact some peoples cannot get through with the idea that Duke couldn't make his way to present days and succeed despite all the ordeals that lies before him, and undo every pronostics done by peoples who only dream about him disapearing and trying to craft doors too narrow to allow Duke's head to pass through them

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 22 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postgemeaux333, on 22 September 2021 - 07:32 AM, said:

As Jon St John said

Yes, the voice actor.

View PostOpenMaw, on 22 September 2021 - 05:11 AM, said:

Just imagine:
"I identify as a non-binary uber-lesbian... Now it's time to kick some ass!"

They'd hate it and accuse Duke of being just a woman with masculine traits.

Admittedly though that sounds kind of funny.

View PostFuta Orc, on 22 September 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yes, the voice actor.

yes, Jon St John is Duke's historic voice actor (and proctologist on his spare time :lol: :D ) and with him on board you can be sure and certain he will keep his charisma ! Whats sicken me is all these peoples bashing him, he have right to respect for all his astounding work !

View PostNinety-Six, on 22 September 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

They'd hate it and accuse Duke of being just a woman with masculine traits.
Admittedly though that sounds kind of funny.

Who told you a women is less violent than a man ? And a man can get rapped too despite what some peoples are suggesting and/or seems to think/believe !
Though it reminds me that Torgue Flexington in Borderlands 2 said (because there are also good/smart lines in Borderlands games too) : "There is nothing more badass than treating a women with respect" ;) :D

View PostNinety-Six, on 21 September 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

I dare you to look me in the eye and tell me World Tour was even passable.

Because the game is actually mcuh better than it looks and when you are a mere consumler you cannot see the amount of heart and soul devs are putting in their games despite crunch times and the final results : https://twitter.com/...011641013489668

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 22 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

View Postgemeaux333, on 22 September 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

Who told you a women is less violent than a man ?

nobody dude wtf are you on about

I'm just saying what the woke morons would accuse Duke of being if he was a non-binary uber feminist. If he proclaimed he would kick ass and then proceed to do so, he'd still be seen as misogynistic because he's a woman with masculine traits.

These idiots don't know what they want and will complain about everything.

View Postgemeaux333, on 22 September 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

Why do you even mind about these peoples in the first place, they are not even worth your attention/consideration, they just deserve the void and contempt

See I agree with that in spirit, the problem is Gearbox doesn't. They recently gave a half-assed lazy excuse that they won't rerelease Life's a Beach and Duke It Out in D.C. because of sexism and racism.

When in reality it's because they can't be bothered and would rather throw an -ism out to win brownie points with the idiots.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options