Duke4.net Forums: End of Dukevangelion - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

End of Dukevangelion  "A small easter egg image I made for use in Alien Armageddon"

As a huge fan of both Duke Nukem & Evangelion, it was really cool to me that they included a sprite of Asuka from that series as an additional Easter Egg to be found in the Alien Armageddon mod. The way they updated Smithsonian Terror to be more like an actual art galley was also kick ass! However, I was never too crazy about image 3810 in tiles014.art, "8th Passenger", which seems to be an upside down reference to Alien. A series already well referenced & represented in the Duke franchise to begin with.

Since I'm a bit of an MS-Paint idiot savant, I created this alternate tile as a reference to the End of Evangelion movie poster, using the Douche Nukem Forever cover for the large monochrome face & backwards sprites of Duke/Bombshell from the mod replacing Shinji/Asuka. While I like where this places the image in that layout, it theoretically could be used to replace any horizontally oriented piece of art in that stage, or in fact be placed in any custom Duke level if wanted.

I've included both the finished version at 171x127 using the main Duke palette for use in game, but I also included my raw 532x504 abomination for those that want to see it in "higher resolution". Just remember that I wasn't too worried about matte lines or aspect ratio because I knew it was going to be way scaled down & look decent either way once it was pixelated. Feel free to include this in any mod or level, even ones other than Alien Armageddon. I'm not even worried about taking credit. This is just my small "omedetou" to anybody who's fans of both series.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3810.png
  • Attached Image: raw.png

User is offline   jkas789 

As a fan of the series, I approve. hope you also enjoyed the recent movie mate!

Another little sprite I've created for the Alien Armageddon version of Smithsonian Terror is the original Enterprise from the TV show, in place of tile 11360 in Tiles044.art, which is a representation of the JJ Abrams movie version with some odd purple streaks. Since the version actually displayed in the museum is the original 60's model? I made this to be more accurate & I think it fits the pallet better.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 11360.png

View Postjkas789, on 08 September 2021 - 03:31 AM, said:

As a fan of the series, I approve. hope you also enjoyed the recent movie mate!

Thank you! The entire Rebuild series is very much like a Duke Nukem kind of progression. It went from supposedly just being a theatrical remake of the TV show, to let's re-do the TV show but with some big changes & new takes... then around 3.0 they threw the baby out with the bathwater & broke the the tub. I ended up really liking that movie too, despite it totally not being what we were promised. (Another two counts of "Duke Nukem" syndrome. You cannot (Re-Do) & completely changing your mind after you've already shown one thing to the public.)

3.0 + 1.0 was pretty damn decent! I liked that Shinji & Gendoh actually finally had a father/son confrontation, especially in the mental world of Human Instrumentality. They did justice to the characters we already knew, but a good movie series would've introduced them on their own terms. Not assume you already know their previous incarnations. I also felt like I never got to know the staff of WILLE very well compared to knowing all about NERV. I'm one who likes the village sequence, but I honestly can't tell you most of the names of the Wunder bridge crew. I don't think they ever even said them on screen.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options