Duke4.net Forums: Antiquity-themed maps - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Antiquity-themed maps  "something except Infinity: Secrets of the Necropolis?"

User is offline   Šneček 

I want to ask if there is a similar map or mod like Infinity: Secrets of the Acropolis, taking place, for example, in ancient Greece, or Rome, Arabia, Egypt and I don't know what, just in these ancient exotic regions, ideally with new ART files? I found this interesting looking link, but it's said to be unfinished without enemies.
https://forums.duke4...t-rome-map-wip/

Does anyone know anything or is there such a map at all?
(I remember Infinity has got very difficulty level design- i think i used to get stuck in Erechtheion or Parthenon level.)

This post has been edited by Šneček: 05 September 2021 - 06:25 AM

User is online   Dr.Panico 

AMC TC Episodes 2 and 3 have some levels set in ancient Chinese and Egyptian locales; and they're some of the best levels made for a Duke3D TC.
There's also Battlefield 3 - heavily based on Aztec architecture, though with some modern elements mixed in as well.
Mystique: Ages of Time is mostly set on medieval times (not sure if that's what you're looking for), but there's a pretty neat Egyptian level on episode 3.

When it comes to standalone user maps, sadly can't think of any with custom ARTs, but here some of the better ones that comes to mind:
-Aztec by Robert Travis
-The Aztec Ruins by Peter Williams
-The Coliseum by Wrexsoul

User is offline   NNC 

Mirage Barrage. I feel it's way too lonely in it's episode. A total outlier. Would have loved to see more maps from this theme in WT.

Lost Lagoon in Caribbean is also an antiquity themed level of sorts.

User is offline   Šneček 

It hasn't been that long since I discovered one map called The Chinese Secret on Youtube by Slawomir "LAW" Lawrynowicz, tuned to the Chinese environment, there isn't just a new ART. But on the other side, I saw that the author had a clever use for some standard textures and the map looks ancient. He even managed to build a swan!

User is offline   Mark 

WGR2 TC is medieval themed.

Quest Town is also medieval themed but is more of an adventure game with a little bit of fighting thrown in at the end. Made by the same guy who made Ancient Rome that you mentioned in your first post. It uses the Ancient Rome map but converted to the new theme.

https://forums.duke4...easequest-town/

This post has been edited by Mark: 05 September 2021 - 08:31 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

I'd definitely recommend Pompeii map, author unknown. It's and old one from 1996, but does the job IMO. Also there's this castle map by Aaron Barber (not sure about the name), JMW-1, maybe even both Legends maps by Mike Beaullieu.

User is offline   Sanek 

Sands of Time is the map I think of:
https://dukeworld.du...ps/p-t/sand.zip

Frankly, it's not a match to the works listed above, but for 1996 it looks good, and I played it a lot when I was a kid....

Also I know it's not Duke3D, but I'd recommend checking Powerslave/Fate out. :D

User is offline   NNC 

I remember Sand, the outside area is very impressive for it's time, unfortunately the indoors looked very poor in comparison. It's basically a forerunner of Mirage Barrage.

User is offline   Šneček 

Tried Pompeii and Sands of Time maps. I liked Pompeii, especially the shape of the ancient temple at the end of the level. Sands of Time was OK, anyway the level was a maze and the hands replacing the accessswitches were quite confusing. I still want to try the above maps (wait- Aztec- isn't it the same level that was in The Gate TC, or is it just a name match?)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I remember someone here in the forums showing screens of a WIP map that made some heavy use of Powerslave assets and was quite detailed, or am I making this up? Must have been like three years ago or so. I'm 100pc sure this was for Duke, not one of the Return to Ruins maps.

I'm a fan of Ancient Greece themed stuff and loved Secrets of the Acropolis. Pity this theme isn't used very often in games. There could be some quite spectacular areas, booth indoor and outdoor.

User is offline   Šneček 

I found an AWESOME egypt map with beautiful custom ART, that level is named "Rosetta's Kingdom of the Dead" (egypt.map) by Jamye Robert Joal Hansen (Pinkymouz) from 1997. This is exactly the map type with an ancient theme and new graphics I've been looking for! It also has its own music. However, I can't find it anywhere to download. Vidi Games recorded a gameplay of it though. Maybe I might try to contact him and see if he can provide some link for me?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Rosetta's Kingdom of the Dead (Duke Nukem 3D User Map) (PC) Walkthrough 4-38 screenshot.png
  • Attached Image: Rosetta's Kingdom of the Dead (Duke Nukem 3D User Map) (PC) Walkthrough 5-30 screenshot.png

This post has been edited by Šneček: 25 November 2022 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostŠneček, on 25 November 2022 - 06:00 AM, said:

I found an AWESOME egypt map with beautiful custom ART, that level is named "Rosetta's Kingdom of the Dead" (egypt.map) by Jamye Robert Joal Hansen (Pinkymouz) from 1997. This is exactly the map type with an ancient theme and new graphics I've been looking for! It also has its own music. However, I can't find it anywhere to download. Vidi Games recorded a gameplay of it though. Maybe I might try to contact him and see if he can provide some link for me?

Attached File  Egypt.zip (687.23K)
Number of downloads: 91

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostForge, on 25 November 2022 - 08:13 AM, said:

Thank you very much! It's a pity that such a beautiful map is missing from the duke map pages.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostŠneček, on 11 October 2021 - 07:30 AM, said:

Tried Pompeii and Sands of Time maps. I liked Pompeii, especially the shape of the ancient temple at the end of the level. Sands of Time was OK, anyway the level was a maze and the hands replacing the accessswitches were quite confusing. I still want to try the above maps (wait- Aztec- isn't it the same level that was in The Gate TC, or is it just a name match?)

Super late reply and you'd probably have figured it out by yourself by now - anyway, the map in The Gate TC is actually called Aztech and it's different by the Robert Travis' Aztec map, but then a part of his Aztec is implemented in the time-travel part of Top Secret in Duke DC.

Also, since Šneček mentioned The Gate, I assume he played it - but if not, there's definitely some levels that would work for this theme, in particular Himalayan Hell (which I'm quite positive was also released as a standalone user map, since Ryan Icenberg used to do that with his levels quite often) and - especially - Into the City by Crista Forest.

And LEM II would probably work for you, it uses plenty of new art and is amazingly detailed/designed for a map from the 90s. Just make sure to run it with some older EDuke version, since the progression will break in newer ones.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options