Duke4.net Forums: Can you install duke nukem for virtual DOS in a 64-bit environment? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you install duke nukem for virtual DOS in a 64-bit environment?

User is offline   mike_s 

Since I won't have access to a 64-bit windows computer anytime for the foreseeable future, my commit driver development could be on major delays.

I can only test in pure DOS mode, and Linux with DOSBOX and DOSEMU.

The problem with DOSBOX in windows is that there's no manual that explains how to enable networking support for windows DOSBOX plus DOSBOX is 32-bit application which might not work 100% in a 64-bit windows environment.

Which means only two virtual DOS software packages I know of might work with windows 64-bits: VirtualBox and VmWare.

The problem with VmWare is that it's not 100% free. You get a trial version at best and if you like it then you have to pay a fee of some sort.

VirtualBox is free but unfortunately I cannot get it working on my linux PC because the modules they create are meant for specific linux configurations with specific identifications. I'm running Slackware 14 32-bits.

If anyone knows another DOS emulator that can work with Windows 64-bit and Linux 32-bit then I may go for that one.

Other than that, all I can do is make my driver support 32-bit platforms and real DOS platforms unless the majority of Duke Nukem players know how to setup VirtualBox with DOS networking enabled by themselves. And if people can do that, then all gaming will be done in VirtualBox. Meaning the internet browser Arachne will launch in VirtualBox to load the lobbies. I know its crazy, but my original idea would be to load the lobbies in your favorite browser and when you click on one, then the dos emulator loads and the game instantly loads after all players connect (just like in the old DukesterX or Kali days)

If anyone wants to test their networking setup inside VirtualBox, they can download DOS TCP/IP stack from https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ which includes a utility to check the existence and functionality of the packet driver

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yes, running dosbox on 64bit windows is one of the main features as the 16bit legacy support was dropped once you move to 64bit editions.

With dosbox you typically use ipxnet for p2p connections in MP as it has native support for connecting server and multiple clients (works quite well)
I don't know if there is any support for TCP/IP unless you start tunneling stuff through that.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options