Duke4.net Forums: Embracer Group subsidiary Saber Interactive has acquired 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Embracer Group subsidiary Saber Interactive has acquired 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks  "The future looks...?"

User is offline   jkas789 

Posted this on the General Gaming forum because this is not necessarily a Duke Nukem 3D related thing.

According to this tweet, 3D Realms has been acquired by Embracer Group , who is also owner of Gearbox.

So, what are your thoughs on this? What do you expect to come of this?

Me personally:

Spoiler

But you know how it goes. Expect Duke Nukem on Fortnite or something.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 04 August 2021 - 10:30 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Embracer's rapid acquisitions have me pretty on edge, in all honestly. I don't foresee any good coming of this...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 05 August 2021 - 12:58 AM

View Postjkas789, on 04 August 2021 - 10:30 PM, said:

But you know how it goes. Expect Duke Nukem on Fortnite or something.

As much i hate fortnite i have to admit is not bad idea. It could get new fans (even if are edgy 13 old kids) and maybe that interest could become a new game.
Although even that could not revive the franchise.

This post has been edited by # 1 duke nukem spanish fan: 05 August 2021 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I hardly see how Embracer could own Gearbox as it was a merger/partnership and both are roughly of equal sizes (at the exception Gearbox haven't made massive acquisitions)...
But yes, now there are all the ingredients of the recipe for speeding up any Duke Nukem related projects, however it would be unnecessary to hire writers for plots as there are plenty in the real world, such as : Duke Nukem versus Google/Youtube, introducing Fred and Seb from Le Joueur du Grenier

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 August 2021 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I have fond memories of playing Will Rock which I gather was the very first Saber Interactive game, after that I did not follow them at all but apparently they had a hand in Quake Champions - no idea if this is a good thing or not.

User is online   Sangman 

View Postjkas789, on 04 August 2021 - 10:30 PM, said:

So, what are your thoughs on this? What do you expect to come of this?

Duke related? Probably nothing. I would guess more budget and manpower for Slipgate?

I don't foresee any new Duke projects out of this. I feel like the real obstacle to a new Duke project is Randy and unrealistic expectations for the whole franchise.
Still, I don't care for Embracer buying up everything, its one thing to make new entries in old beloved franchises, but 3D Realms recent success hasn't been based on that. Its worth pointing out that a good chunk of old developers that got bought out by EA and the ilk didn't end up destroying themselves because of EA's mandates, they got destroyed because of their own hubris now that they had access to money. The question is...will that happen to 3D Realms?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I have never heard of Embracer before...

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 August 2021 - 08:17 PM, said:

I have never heard of Embracer before...

You probably know of them as THQ Nordic

User is offline   Poorchop 

Gotta love consolidation. I doubt that Duke crossed anyone's mind for a second while money was changing hands. Awaiting news of this company itself eventually being acquired by Microsoft / Activision / Tencent.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLunick, on 06 August 2021 - 08:56 PM, said:

You probably know of them as THQ Nordic

Ahhhh

And yeah, the list of giant corporations is getting smaller while each one gets bigger. We've got Microsoft who owns Bethesda, Rare, Bungie, Obsidian, and who knows what else. Disney owns LucasArts, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Marvel...Activision Blizzard owns World of Warcraft, everything ex-Sierra related.....blah...brave new world. It can't last. Something's gonna crash I can feel it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 August 2021 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

https://twitter.com/...195315541319680
https://twitter.com/...204028238995459

Fucking lol.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I feel like I'm missing something. Did George have beef with Tim that I wasn't aware of? I know the id guys did, but...

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 August 2021 - 07:16 PM, said:

Ahhhh

And yeah, the list of giant corporations is getting smaller while each one gets bigger. We've got Microsoft who owns Bethesda, Rare, Bungie, Obsidian, and who knows what else. Disney owns LucasArts, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Marvel...Activision Blizzard owns World of Warcraft, everything ex-Sierra related.....blah...brave new world. It can't last. Something's gonna crash I can feel it.

It really is astounding how some of these companies even got approvals for some of these acquisitions. I think a crash is going to happen as well if things keep on going the way they are. Surely as more and more products feel so similar and bland that people will eventually tire of them, and once they stop spending their money it's all over for these companies.

View PostOuttagum, on 08 August 2021 - 09:07 PM, said:

Haha, reminds me of George's quote from back in the day: "Take Two needs to STFU imo." :D

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostNinety-Six, on 08 August 2021 - 09:31 PM, said:

I feel like I'm missing something. Did George have beef with Tim that I wasn't aware of? I know the id guys did, but...

Looks more like a friendly banter than a beef to me. On the other hand, these guys are nerds in their 50s after all, so you never know how serious they take that kind of stuff...

User is offline   MrFlibble 

So Tim Willits, the guy who recently got some extra attention related to a video about a different 90s 3D game huh? I did not realise he's the chief creative officer (as per WIkipedia) a Saber. Things getting interesting? (or not)

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Did I get this right? 3DR and Gearbox now actually belong to the same group? Does that mean the Duke franchise might go back to 3DR? Randy must go nuts right now, after all the lawsuits they end up in the same boat...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 09 August 2021 - 12:35 PM, said:

Did I get this right? 3DR and Gearbox now actually belong to the same group? Does that mean the Duke franchise might go back to 3DR? Randy must go nuts right now, after all the lawsuits they end up in the same boat...

"Go back to" whom? Nobody that works at 3D Realms today was involved with the 3D Realms from Texas.

I mean I guess the hail-mary hope is that the rights could go to 3D Realms and then maybe an outside party like Voidpoint could get their hands on the IP and do something with it... That's a lot of steps away from anything worth getting jazzed about though.

This is just another papers exchanging hands situation and it really doesn't mean dick.

• The Truth is in here

Randy will keep sitting on the franchise and won't do anything useful with it. World Tour will remain the only version of Duke3D you can buy these days, as buggy and incomplete as it is.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNightFright, on 09 August 2021 - 12:35 PM, said:

Did I get this right? 3DR and Gearbox now actually belong to the same group? Does that mean the Duke franchise might go back to 3DR?

Apparently not.

Attached Image: 20210810_082843.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 August 2021 - 05:31 AM

• The Truth is in here

So... that's it, then. Business as usual. Move along, nothing to see here.

• The Sarien Encounter

Speaking of that tweet, ever since I heard the story of "X/Snake" I can't stand looking at his smug face anymore and take anything he says as slimy and nefarious. Part of me feels guilty because I tend to not pick sides until I've heard both sides. But in this case I guess it's been pretty well corroborated?

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 August 2021 - 05:30 AM, said:

Apparently not.

Attachment 20210810_082843.jpg

Something can't be over when it never started.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 10 August 2021 - 04:00 PM

User is offline   deus-ex 

View PostLazy Dog, on 10 August 2021 - 03:56 PM, said:

Something can't be over when it never started.

It was hope that started for obvious reasons. After the post by Snake Willits that hope is all over.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostNightFright, on 10 August 2021 - 03:53 AM, said:

Randy will keep sitting on the franchise and won't do anything useful with it. World Tour will remain the only version of Duke3D you can buy these days, as buggy and incomplete as it is.

Zoom platform has the OG game and it is legitimate.
https://www.zoom-pla...-atomic-edition

I am reminded of this quote by Randy from an interview after the acquisition:

Honestly, that’s just scratching the surface of all our plans. The plans are a spectrum of internally developed games with Gearbox IP, internally developed games with original IP from Gearbox, external partners that are both publishing partners, where we’re publishing them in a second party relationship, and then there are also other developers working on Gearbox IP as well. That can expand, especially as we start interacting without friction with other members of the Embracer Group that have some interest. There are a lot of folks that would love to work on Gearbox IP, and Gearbox would love to help some of the Embracer Group games that might be stronger in other markets be published more effectively in North America.
(Emphasis mine) Source: https://venturebeat....embracer-group/

Edit:

And this one from another interview:

There's probably some incredible talent elsewhere in the Embracer Group that would absolutely love to spend time in some Gearbox IP. And likewise, there's probably some Embracer IP we might want to play with, or some titles which our publishing unit might bring some advantages to. We'll figure that out. This is the beginning of that, and I'm excited to do that!
(Emphasis mine) (Source: https://www.gamesind...rboxs-ambitions)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options