Duke4.net Forums: A Strange Duke Nukem startup - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Strange Duke Nukem startup

User is offline   mike_s 

After finally figuring out how to make myself a bootable hard drive on a CD, I decided to put Duke Nukem 3D 1.3D shareware edition on the CD and take it for a spin after installing it using DOSBOX.

So anyways, I made the CD boot then copy everything to a 32MB ram drive. The target computer has at least 256MB of ram and should be able to access 64MB in DOS.

So I ran the setup program and configured the game as NO sound, standard 320 x 200 screen, then I go to save and launch the game. The first thing that comes up when returned to the command line (before the game executes) is:

Read fault error reading drive F
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

Yet the F drive is my ram drive that is built using xmsdsk.exe

So anyways, I decided to abort that, and typed in duke3d then it immediately crashes and shows an exception error (see attachment)

Attached Image: 1.jpg

So anyway, I did have the setup utility intact, and when I ran the setup utility to install the files to a new folder on the same ram drive and ran setup from that location then duke nukem, the game decided to come on.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with DOSBOX

I mean in the end, I want to create a boot cd that can just launch Duke Nukem without having to run its installer every time, not crash the machine.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postmike_s, on 24 July 2021 - 04:17 PM, said:

So anyways, I decided to abort that, and typed in duke3d then it immediately crashes and shows an exception error (see attachment)

Since this is a DOS/4GW error, maybe try using DOS/32A instead? If the game has an issue with too much RAM, DOS/32A should solve that at least.

User is offline   mike_s 

View PostMrFlibble, on 25 July 2021 - 05:53 AM, said:

Since this is a DOS/4GW error, maybe try using DOS/32A instead? If the game has an issue with too much RAM, DOS/32A should solve that at least.

I'm gonna try some other things too. Maybe my dos environment isn't perfect, because even after running setup on the pre-installed version of duke nukem I get a read error reading drive before DOS4GW begins to load. I'll play around with config.sys a bit and see if I get lucky.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options