Duke4.net Forums: Valve's new handheld: Steam Deck - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Valve's new handheld: Steam Deck

User is offline   jkas789 

So Valve has finally showed their hybrid console the Steam Deck

What do you guys think? I'm pretty excited for it.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Honestly I hope it will be able to compete with Switch, all it takes for Valve to care about this thing. It has great potential when it comes to multiplats, hardware and especially emulation. The idea with pad is also pretty good, should be easier to play FPS or TPS games.

I own Switch and bought Vita recently and I enjoyed Vita much more due to how customizable it is, homebrew scene is especially great, and Vita made me realize what I really wanted from a handheld (without homebrew too). The only downside of Vita is that it was killed by Sony even though it had great potential, so it resulted in poor later support from major companies, if it wasn't for that I would buy Vita sooner instead of Switch that had no competition. Most of the time I play Switch for multiplats that I can't play on Vita.

If its battery will not be terrible, if Valve invest into it, put more love, if their OS will have good support for all the games, I won't even need Vita anymore perhaps (Steam has most of the good Vita games already). Hell, the fact that Steam also has no paid online bullshit makes it already ten times superior. Switch online subscription is fucking terrible joke, seriously, fuck this piece of shit, PSN is ten times better for what it offers.

Please, Valve, don't fuck up. Bonus points if they promote it in Japan, but that's a wishful thinking I bet, even though they have shitton of Japanese games, but on the other hand some of their employees have a hate boner for Japanese games like pretty much all Western companies (including Sony which is part of the problem).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 15 July 2021 - 02:20 PM

Ohh! Plagman is in that video. He has been at Valve now for a decent while.

Yeah Sledgehammer. I'm also hoping this does well.

Also I find it funny that people are getting assblasted that this will compete with the Switch. But I personally think they both can coexist in the same space.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Well for one thing it won't be able to play Switch games. But pretty much everything else.

• The Sarien Encounter

After about 20 minutes of trying I finally managed to reserve one. At one point it said my account was too new and I'd have to reserve on Sunday. But it's just that the Steam servers were so slammed that it couldn't access my profile information (neither could I). Anyway, finally managed to buy it after having to refresh multiple times in the cart and payment processing screens (and logging into Paypal twice).

This is the most interesting gaming product in years. However, i don't think this will sell that well. The battery is not sufficient to replace PC gaming. 720P is a joke, i am sorry to say that, i wish they would have secured the future for it. 1080p is almost outdated today as well. Anyways, there will be a market for this and i am intrigued that valve tries something after the disaster that was steam consoles :-) my 500 games library is waiting to be played!

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 16 July 2021 - 10:57 PM

View PostDukeNukem64, on 16 July 2021 - 10:57 PM, said:

This is the most interesting gaming product in years. However, i don't think this will sell that well. The battery is not sufficient to replace PC gaming. 720P is a joke, i am sorry to say that, i wish they would have secured the future for it. 1080p is almost outdated today as well.

1080p is almost outdated as well... wtf? O....k....

After about 20 minutes of trying I finally managed to reserve one. At one point it said my account was too new and I'd have to reserve on Sunday.

I wish I could preorder it but my common sense is telling me to dump al my money into renovating my new house instead of vidya. Which makes sense yeah.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I always feel with that screen size and it's handhold device, 1080p just not enough for it...even 720p too...but that's just my feel.

I don't really want something over 1080p...everything over that just an overkill to me :unsure:

As someone who has gamed at best at 1080p and who has always budget bought shit given how ridiculously priced games, consoles and pc (fuck it, just tech in general) can be in Mexico, I find 720p acceptable. So maybe my perspective is kinda skewed by living in a shit country.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postjkas789, on 16 July 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

Also I find it funny that people are getting assblasted that this will compete with the Switch. But I personally think they both can coexist in the same space.

Well, it makes since Switch has zero competition when it comes to handheld which is also has plenty of issues (mostly like due to lack of competition), i.e. joycons are overpriced junk (my Switch stopped detecting right joycon attached to itself since 6 months of usage lol), Switch itself is overpriced despite weak hardware and cheap materials used for it in general, and now they plan to release OLED which is even much more overpriced pretty much regular Switch even though they didn't add much to justify this price (thanks for not making exclusives for this model I guess?). Worth mentioning bad regional pricing policy too when it comes to certain countries.

The most hilarious part is that Valve announced Deck right after disappointment that is called OLED announcement (when most expected Pro model). I think Valve plan to compete with Switch when it comes to market of handhelds itself which is the type of competition Switch actually needs, because Nintendo has their own demographics anyway so directly Valve won't be competing with Switch (something apparently morons from Sony didn't understand with Vita too and they don't understand it even now).

If Valve don't fuck it up, Steam Deck will be a perfect multiplatform (and emulation station) on handheld market, better than Switch (that would be worth only for Nintendo exclusives). It will be superior due to better prices and more games, plus better performance. Could finally be able to play superior Duke 3D, Deus Ex, CRPGs, old RPGs, not-fucked up remakes, original PC games, JRPGs and much more.

View PostDukeNukem64, on 16 July 2021 - 10:57 PM, said:

This is the most interesting gaming product in years. However, i don't think this will sell that well. The battery is not sufficient to replace PC gaming. 720P is a joke, i am sorry to say that, i wish they would have secured the future for it. 1080p is almost outdated today as well.

This is handheld after all (though of course you can use it as a regular PC too, but the main purpose is portability).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 17 July 2021 - 06:24 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It's only $5 to reserve. You're not technically preordering since you not paying the whole price up front. Small technicality, but necessary to note I think. Also I think 720p (technically 800p I guess) is just fine for a handheld. Any larger and it'll just suck the battery life. I don't need anything bigger than that though. I'm still on 1080p on my desktop and I ain't looking to upgrade any time soon. It'd be nice for desktop space and music production not gonna lie, but gaming? I could game on 1080p for the rest of my life. I'm happy with it. And I don't need 1080p on a handheld. Resolution is fine in my book.

This will be the ultimate emulation platform to compliment the Switch's exclusives. Plus you get Steam games and whatever else you want from a PC.

Also you can open up the thing and insert your own 2230 M.2 NVMe hard drive (though those are less conventional and more expensive for the time being) so you could buy the lowest tier without one and buy one later. But the prices of the higher tiers is fairly comparable to buying an actual 2230 NVMe yourself. But if you wanted to spread out the cost, that's one route you could go. You have to dismantle the device to put one in though. But I mean, if you're comfortable doing that with a PC you could do that to the Deck no problem I feel like.

View Postjkas789, on 17 July 2021 - 05:47 AM, said:

As someone who has gamed at best at 1080p and who has always budget bought shit given how ridiculously priced games, consoles and pc (fuck it, just tech in general) can be in Mexico, I find 720p acceptable. So maybe my perspective is kinda skewed by living in a shit country.

Well you could be right about it being an important thing. A lot of people in the northern countries in Europe are using 1080 for PC and 4K for consoles (gaming), however a lot (as in more than 80%) of new sales are better quality than 1080/144 hz monitors. So only 20% of people who buy new PC screens actually buy 1080. It has been the standard for like.. 7-8 years? I have no statistics regarding that, but I had a 1080 screen back in 2015.

Anyways: 720P is not a thing that will be futureproof as Valve is describing it. 1080 would not even be future proof. It would be better, but far from it. The price for the "small" SSD 256 GB is more expensive than PS5/XBOXSX and choosing the 512 SSD it's 30% more expensive than XBOXSX. That's insane for me. I will probably buy a handheld in the future since I have a kid now, but I will wait for 2/3. gen of this :-) Steam machine v2. anyone? :-D

@MusicallyInspired

I could game on 1080p for the rest of my life. I'm happy with it. And I don't need 1080p on a handheld. Resolution is fine in my book.

My thoughts as well. Gaming on PC this days has increasingly become a enthusiast hobby if you want to game on 4k ultra 220000000 fps bla bla bla. For the rest of the poor bastards liek me who prefer to spend most of their money on other stuff like a house budget gaming at 1080p makes total sense.

@MusicallyInspired & @Sledgehammer

This will be the ultimate emulation platform to compliment the Switch's exclusives. Plus you get Steam games and whatever else you want from a PC.

If Valve don't fuck it up, Steam Deck will be a perfect multiplatform (and emulation station) on handheld market, better than Switch (that would be worth only for Nintendo exclusives). It will be superior due to better prices and more games, plus better performance. Could finally be able to play superior Duke 3D, Deus Ex, CRPGs, old RPGs, not-fucked up remakes, original PC games, JRPGs and much more.

This two I'm not so sure off. The Switch is already a very strong emulation machine on it's own and if we value both the Switch and the Steam Deck by price and emulation capacity I think the Switch will end up edging up a win. I think were the Steam Deck can be competitive is in the Steam store.

@DukeNukem64

The price for the "small" SSD 256 GB is more expensive than PS5/XBOXSX and choosing the 512 SSD it's 30% more expensive than XBOXSX. That's insane for me.

This also worries me. Sure you could argue that the portability and the "future proofing" justifies it but when you make a price comparison to existing consoles the Steam Deck comes of as another enthusiast product (like the gpd win or the aya neo) and not as something that would be necessarily mainstream. Well, we will see if Steam can manage to pull this off.

• The Sarien Encounter

My argument for favouring the Deck for emulation comes from the thing's sheer power. This can emulate up to Wii U, 360, and PS3 era console games. The Switch can barely emulate Gamecube games and that's if you overclock it which can burn out the battery faster and even degrade the console by getting too hot if you play it too long. Not to mention the danger of getting your Switch banned if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time. And if you're not lucky enough to have a launch model Switch with the jig exploit that was patched in the latest models, getting homebrew to work is a pain. And it's a pain anyway to get a homebrewed Switch going and updating it so it keeps working. I need my phone and USC-C cable with me at all times to dump the payload it needs. I'd rather have a solution that just works, has more power and thus more capability and compatibility, and won't get me banned from the online system.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Valve is so good at supporting their hardware.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 21 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

User is offline   Avenger 

1. Steam is DRM spyware garbage
2. Playing games on a 7 inch screen is a terrible experience
3. Grossly over priced and it gets worse as you add more storage. 64GB of EMMC is $12 and a 512GB PCI-E M.2 SSD is $65 which valve asks a $250 premium for
4. Paying for the "privilege" to buy something is bullshit and nearly as retarded as a pre order

No thanks.

• The Sarien Encounter

The SSDs are 2230 type. They're more expensive.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 July 2021 - 05:53 AM, said:

My argument for favouring the Deck for emulation comes from the thing's sheer power. This can emulate up to Wii U, 360, and PS3 era console games. The Switch can barely emulate Gamecube games and that's if you overclock it which can burn out the battery faster and even degrade the console by getting too hot if you play it too long. Not to mention the danger of getting your Switch banned if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time. And if you're not lucky enough to have a launch model Switch with the jig exploit that was patched in the latest models, getting homebrew to work is a pain. And it's a pain anyway to get a homebrewed Switch going and updating it so it keeps working. I need my phone and USC-C cable with me at all times to dump the payload it needs. I'd rather have a solution that just works, has more power and thus more capability and compatibility, and won't get me banned from the online system.

Those are very good point that I had not considered. The only thing I could say is that you could embrace your ban and go full pirate.

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm will be waiting for the reviews before I consider buying one. If they release on México at all.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 July 2021 - 05:47 AM, said:

The SSDs are 2230 type. They're more expensive.

Marginally. A 2230 M.2 is $80 for 512GB vs $65 for the standard 2280 form factor and need I mention slower average transfer speeds as well since it's typically used for imaging devices as opposed to PC. Either way, it's still a 212.5% markup which is bordering on apple levels of highway robbery that only a fool would willingly accept.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 22 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah for a cheap one from unrecognizable brands. The Samsungs and Western Digitals are $200+.

Also, Valve are really hyping up the SD card performance. In their playtesting they've gotten feedback that while it's not as fast as the SSD, playing experience and load times from SD cards is "comparable." Everyone has been saying for the past week now that you won't be having a problem on SD cards. Still happy I reserved the 512GB model though. Just because I want to see what this thing can do.

Also, people have said that NVMe drives perform faster the more storage space there is? Is there any truth to that? Because I was wondering how the top tier model would have faster SSD speeds than the mid-tier with an SSD.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 July 2021 - 06:57 PM, said:

Yeah for a cheap one from unrecognizable brands. The Samsungs and Western Digitals are $200+.

Also, Valve are really hyping up the SD card performance. In their playtesting they've gotten feedback that while it's not as fast as the SSD, playing experience and load times from SD cards is "comparable." Everyone has been saying for the past week now that you won't be having a problem on SD cards. Still happy I reserved the 512GB model though. Just because I want to see what this thing can do.

Also, people have said that NVMe drives perform faster the more storage space there is? Is there any truth to that? Because I was wondering how the top tier model would have faster SSD speeds than the mid-tier with an SSD.

Which valve isn't using. You clearly don't have much knowledge in how mass manufacturing works. This console is being manufactured in china from whatever components they can source at the cheapest price within spec. You're also mistaken in how SSD's fuction. Read performance doesn't suffer until the nand chips are close to full and that heavily depends on the type of nand used.

I also never said there was a problem loading from the base models EMMC storage which is essentially a glorified SD Card. Modern SD cards have come a long way in read/write performance. A bigger concern I would have is the longevity of constant write cycles but time will tell.

Regardless, you've clearly hopped on the bandwagon like the endless droves of steam fangirls so pointing out facts isn't going to change your mind since you'll just find another excuse to justify being fleeced and keeping up with the jonses.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 22 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I never said you said there was a problem loading from the base model's eMMC storage. I addressed your post and then moved on and changed the subject in the next paragraph. I was no longer talking to just you. Sorry if that was confusing. Also sorry that my interest in this device offends you.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 July 2021 - 06:48 AM, said:

I never said you said there was a problem loading from the base model's eMMC storage. I addressed your post and then moved on and changed the subject in the next paragraph. I was no longer talking to just you. Sorry if that was confusing. Also sorry that my interest in this device offends you.

Funny, granted that it was you that appeared to initially be offended that I didn't share the same mindless glowing opinion that you did...

This post has been edited by Avenger: 23 July 2021 - 09:24 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Lol no, I wasn't offended. You're not fun to discuss things with so I will cease now. Not everything is offence. I just like talking about stuff.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

https://www.myretrog...docking-station

I am more into this, dev has had problems, but it's bysoc. fingers crossed we see a release.

Hands on video by Linus Tech Tips:

Don't know which is more eye roll inducing, steam fangirls or linus.

It's a tough one.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 06 August 2021 - 04:13 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options