Duke4.net Forums: Rookie mapping contest for Duke 3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rookie mapping contest for Duke 3D  "A little something to encourage new mappers a bit!"

User is offline   Aleks 

Since there's been a lot of people with cool ideas, good taste in the maps and in-depth knowledge of the game, who for some reason have never made a map themselves, we've came up with an idea to encourage them a bit! This community didn't have any mapping contests in a while (maybe since the Spiegul thing?), so here's one for you - but this time, only people with no prior mapping experience are allowed to participate! To make it easier to distinguish - if you don't have any of your Duke 3D maps reviewed/available for download on neither MSDN nor CGS websites, you are all free to join the competition (taking part in a joint release like a CBP does not count, so you are still free to join if that's all you did so far)! Even people from the rather small Ion Fury mapping community are invited to join, as working with Duke's base game assets is probably still a different beast to tackle.

Here are the basic rules:
  • the map has to be properly playable, with added combat and functional ending,
  • the map should be compatible with "chocolate" Duke 3D, so effects like TROR, sloped sprites, texture rotation (R key) or sprite noshade (N key) are not allowed,
  • there is a limit of 500 sectors. Sprites and walls are not restricted, however you should watch not to get above 8192 walls and 4096 sprites (the "old" limits for chocolate compatibility),
  • it is advisable to use Mapster32 due to how much more convenient and forgiving it is to work with compared to original Build,
  • no new custom art/sounds/con/music (although you can choose one of the original midis that you think would fit your level the best),
  • the specific theme of the map will be disclosed later when more people join in - not to give anyone a headstart!
  • I'd like at least 3-5 people to participate in it, so please be patient and let everyone who might be interested join - I will wait between commencing the start of it,
  • after the theme has been revealed, you will have 1 month to work on your map and submit it for download to me by PM.

The maps will be judged by Jury consisting of some of the more experienced veteran mappers from this community.

The judges will evaluate the maps in the following categories:
  • concept/originality (0-10 points)
  • layout/progression (0-10 points)
  • gameplay/combat (0-10 points)
  • design/technique (0-10 points)

The final score from this part will be an average of the scores awarded by the judges. You can score max 40 points in this section. The judges will cooperate to get a similar rating system.

Furthermore, you can score bonus points for using effects in your map! These are grouped into categories - using just one effect from each category can award you extra points:
  • light effects: SE3, SE4, SE8, SE9, SE12, Cyclers (0-2 points)
  • sector tag only doors: ST20, ST21, ST9, ST26 (0-2 points)
  • horizontal movers: SE15/ST25, SE30/ST31, SE6/SE14, SE20/ST27 (0-2 points)
  • vertical movers: SE31, SE32, ST15/SE17, ST16, ST17, ST18, ST19, SE18, SE21/ST28 (does anyone ever use it?) (0-2 points)
  • proper use of effect sounds throughout the level (0-2 points)
  • rotating movers: ST23/SE11, SE0/SE1/(ST30) (0-2 points)
  • explosions and destruction: SE2, SE13, SE19, SE33, C9/crack/extinguishers etc. (0-2 points)
  • miscellaneous/machinery: SE24/SE34, SE25, SE29, SE36

The effects should be used properly. Also remember that using the effects in a gimmicky way may award you points for them, but deduct from your evaluation scores! And a final heads-up about shading (and wall shading specifically) - this is an easy way for you level to look much better and to add a lot of depth to its visuals!

Here are some sites which contain useful information on mapping:
https://infosuite.duke4.net/index.php
https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Level_editing

This post has been edited by Aleks: 03 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Sure, I’d like to join in on this.

User is offline   Mark 

Maybe because I started modding so late in life, but only a month to learn mapster and make a playable map with a number of different SEs sounds like a tall order.
Good concept though.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMark, on 03 July 2021 - 12:59 PM, said:

Maybe because I started modding so late in life, but only a month to learn mapster and make a playable map with a number of different SEs sounds like a tall order.
Good concept though.

I might change it for 2 months actually, TBH 1 month does sound a bit strict. But then AFAIK you already know Mapster, I've seen screens from your projects, so I wouldn't worry much if I were you ;) I'm not expecting a Woudrichem scale maps in this one, more like 10-15 minutes of gameplay type of levels really.

@Gerolf, that's great to hear! Good luck!

User is offline   Mark 

I wouldn't qualify as I've released stuff.

User is offline   Sanek 

It sounds like a great idea, Aleks! You're doing a great job of keeping the community alive!

I posted about it in a couple of other places, inviting people to participate.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 03 July 2021 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   slacker1 

I'd be down to give this a try. I haven't made a map in over 20 years and the two I did finish back in the 90s don't appear to be anywhere online (or on my computer back ups) so I think I still qualify.

User is offline   Aleks 

Nice to see you joining, slacker1! :) Good luck!

Anyway, some news!

Mikko has offered to review the contest map pack for MSDN, with screenshots from every map, which hopefully will also encourage some more people to join.

Also after some consultations and suggestions, I've decided to change the deadline for making the contest maps to 3 months after the theme is revealed! After all, not everyone has to be as prolific as ck3D :D

User is offline   BoowHow 

I might as well give this a try too.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I will give it a try. :)

User is online   ck3D 

Very happy to see so many folks motivated for this! I hope even more join. Will be happy to hand out tips and tricks if simple technical help or feedback is ever needed. This tutorial I wrote a while back might inspire a few as well, although that's just one possible approach to Duke 3D level design really. Everyone enjoy!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 05 July 2021 - 01:22 PM

This might be interesting, depending on when it starts.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 05 July 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

This might be interesting, depending on when it starts.

Seems there's already about 5 contestants, and with 3 months deadline the potential headstart shouldn't be that much of a handicap. I'll give people a few more days announce the theme, so you guys can start working on your maps, but of course anyone else who would feel like joining can still do it!

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

Hmm, don't have time to play with mapster:(
I'd love to join but probably won't deliver it on time.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMr.Torture, on 06 July 2021 - 04:12 AM, said:

Don't worry, you can always try - even if you don't deliver it on time, you could develop your map further and release it as a standalone map, learning all the basics along the way ;) Always worth to try!

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMr.Torture, on 06 July 2021 - 04:12 AM, said:

For reference, I'd say it should take a mapping session or two of 'homework' where you figure out the basic commands for sector drawing in 2D mode, texturing/shading in 3D mode, placing sprites and inputting tags (as well as get the fundamental logic behind those), and from then on it's all about sketching stuff out all the while following the Infosuite for specific tutorials and hotkeys. Just putting in an hour a week over three months, it's probably doable to come up with a basic level even if it's just a few rooms articulated around a simple concept (or not). I'm saying this because I've observed non-mappers in general may sometimes seem to think the most experienced mappers have total knowledge of every one of Mapster32 hotkey, effect, texture and tag catalogues and while it's true that you do pick up better and better habits with time (which goes with developing your style), I don't think anyone really maps without assistance and a couple of Infosuite tabs open, myself I've been mapping for 20 years and will still occasionally get lost for ten minutes within the texture set looking for one specific tile and I'm certain more people will relate, so on purely technical terms, everyone is on the same level. With the information and documentation that's currently available and all the shortcuts Mapster32 allow, making maps these days is a lot easier and lighter on one's schedule than it used to be, notoriously and rightfully, back in the days of OG Build. In itself, that's no feat to mythify nearly as much as it once may have been.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 July 2021 - 06:05 AM

User is online   blizzart 

I think of joining in, too. It´s about time to get back into Mapster and my project, though this will be a good training.
I hope I´ll get everything ready in time. The limits (sector limit / no-shade especially) might give me a headache but it sounds like fun.

User is offline   mike_s 

What exactly is "chocholate" duke nukem? Is it Duke Nukem 3D 1.3 for Dos?

User is online   ck3D 

View Postmike_s, on 07 July 2021 - 03:46 PM, said:

What exactly is "chocholate" duke nukem? Is it Duke Nukem 3D 1.3 for Dos?

I think he meant vanilla, so eDuke32 and Plutonium/Atomic are fair game, just the specific features he mentioned were introduced later via eDuke32 developments and thus do not really count as part of the base game.

User is offline   Aleks 

Yeah, exactly that. Anything introduced within EDuke, starting from extended limits, is beyond the "chocolate". No idea if this term is right really, but since vanilla can be still said about anything that works on newer EDuke snapshots without any extra assets, I sticked with that name.

Good luck, guys, I hope you both will participate in this one!

User is online   blizzart 

View PostAleks, on 07 July 2021 - 08:47 PM, said:

Good luck, guys, I hope you both will participate in this one!

You can definitely count me in.

User is offline   Aleks 

As mentioned before, I'm going to announce the theme of the contest, so you guys can commence your work! I will also message this information on PM to everyone who has applied for participation.

The theme of the contest is factory/industrial plant. I figured this is something which should be quite easy to do with Duke's assets, without going too ambitious (after all, I've limited the resources) and giving much opportunities for taking advantage of all the fancy engine effects without it feeling out of place. Also, these kind of maps seemed really popular back in the day, but now are kinda forgotten. Below are some examples of what I exactly mean here:
  • Toxic Dump from original Duke 3D is basically a perfect example of that kind of map (although it might diverge too far into the rocky/canyon kind of stuff),
  • Sewage by Alan Page,
  • Factory by Michael and Roberto Caraballo (at least part of it!),
  • Some of Maarten Pinxten maps, most notably Hazardous Chemicals and ACME Weapon Factory,
  • HydroStation by Alejandro Glavic,
  • Slick by Rob West (at least the first part),
  • We Store Your Crap Remix by Fakir and Kevin Cools,

There's also more ambitious maps like at least first 2 of BobSP series, large part of Nitroglycerin by High Treason or pretty much most of BillyBoy's maps, especially Clearwater.

The deadline to deliver the maps is 3 months, so 10th October 2021.

Also, the jury will consist of Merlijn, Maarten, MRCK, Sanek and me. Now you know who to bribe/blow for better scores!

Good luck to everyone participating! And remember it's not too late to enter the competition!

I'm excited to give this a go! I can't guarantee I'll churn out anything of quality but I have some ideas brewing already. :)

Good luck everyone!

User is offline   Aleks 

So, how's the mapping going, guys? :D

Just thought I'll bump this thread. Also for anyone who haven't seen it before, remember you can join in at any time!

It's going along slowly, but moving along. I have limited time to map with work and life and such so I'm glad we have three months to get this done.

Are we keeping all our progress private until we submit?

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postslacker1, on 08 August 2021 - 11:07 PM, said:

Are we keeping all our progress private until we submit?

That's up to you, guys - you can share anything you want (screens, ideas etc.) or you can keep them private, no rules regarding these things :)

User is offline   Aleks 

Hey guys, the initial deadline of 10th October is nearing, but after being asked to extend it and since there's been no submissions yet, I've decided to extend the deadline to 10th November 2021. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I've been meaning to update that I wasn't going to be able to meet the deadline due to some unexpected events in my life. I should have some time later this month to get back to finishing my map.

User is offline   Aleks 

The time is up, guys! So far I've only received one map. I've send out the info to everyone who's been initially interested in taking part on PM on how to send me the maps. If someone else made a map for this thing, please let me know here or in PM, so I'll tell you the details on how to deliver. I'm away from home until Friday, so that is when I would expect the maps to come by.

User is offline   Paul B 

It was a tight race... and the winner of the Rooking mapping contest goes to... *Drumroll* .... The single applicant who figured out how to upload their map! Congratulations!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 17 November 2021 - 06:56 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options