Duke4.net Forums: Secret Agent HD - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Secret Agent HD  "Now available on GOG and Steam"

User is offline   Lunick 

GOG | Steam

From Emberheart Games, the same developer for Crystal Caves HD and the upcoming Monster Bash HD. Includes a new 4th episode just like Crystal Caves HD

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wasn't there a fanmade Secret Agent remake that was C&D'd at some point?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Nice that they put some effort into polishing these sort of forgotten games. I remember playing some of them back in the 90s. With the right pricetag (7 bucks is already quite good, in fact), I'll actually might grab this one, too.

Would be interested in a "Jill of the Jungle" remaster, but that was from Epic.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 July 2021 - 09:30 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been hearing that the original Secret Agent was removed from GOG in lieu of the HD version. Does the HD version come with the original as well or is it just the graphic-swap feature? Because that would be very unfortunate to no longer supply the DOS original.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I guess it's nice that these oldies are kept afloat this way - BTW, does anyone know if these remasters are based on the original source or are recreations? - but somehow I never felt that they were actually al that play-worthy in the first place. Back in the early 90s, maybe. As a curiosity today, probably. Possibly as some niche genre? Or am I being biased here?

• The Sarien Encounter

I really like them. Great challenge (but not Keen 3 levels of insanity) and loaded with content. Yeah, I think they're better than the Keen games. At least Keen 1-3. Would have been cool to see sequels to these games in the vein of Keen 4-6 with VGA graphics and Adlib music. But anyway, I'll totally buy these when I have a few extra bucks. The level designers are a huge bonus. They don't seem like recreations though. I just wish they did a little more than simple changing the colours. I'd appreciate some honest to goodness VGA digital art gradients instead of all flat colours. Something more like Hocus Pocus. What they should also add is the ability to mod the graphics (they've already done it so it should be easy-ish?).

EDIT: Actually I'm going to take back what I said about it not being a remake because I'm just not sure anymore. Those movements across the screen look really fluid. Like it's running in a higher resolution.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I won Secret Agent HD Monday night on a live stream by a Dutch content creator who goes by the name Dosgamert and who was apparently a beta tester. Apogee gave him a bunch of keys to give away. I entered them all and never won. Then on the last giveaway Apogee themselves entered 3 times and said that if they won they'd give everyone who entered that round a key. And they won! I've been playing pretty constantly and it's quite a faithful remake. It feels so much nicer though because of the increased framerate (just in the game engine itself, not the animations) and the new FM music by James is really great. I've unlocked most of the achievements now but the remaining ones are difficult indeed. The game still feels like the original but just way more approachable and less finicky with jumps and whatnot because of the decreased framerate of the original. I'm on episode 4 now and wow they really amp up the difficulty. But it's not murderously impossible. Apparently there's a secret level that is atrociously punishing. Can't wait to find it. Also the new episode adds new enemies and hazards and some destructible blocks that can be destroyed either by you or ceiling-mounted turrets which makes for some creative secret hiding. Also, Dopefish Lives. All in all, it's just as wonderful and frustrating as the original which is a perfect product in my book. Definitely want to get a hold of Crystal Caves HD now.

It's made in Unity which I was not aware of (but I still don't have Crystal Caves HD yet so I wouldn't have known). It is not able to swap to EGA original graphics like I originally assumed but the original is still available on Steam. On GOG the original was delisted but you get both versions of the game together (original comes in Extras downloads) so that's a nice savings compared to Steam. Highly recommend.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options