Duke4.net Forums: Sound stops after 5 seconds - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sound stops after 5 seconds

#1

On the latest builds from this month, eDuke32 and VoidSW stop playing sounds after a few seconds. Restarting the sound system makes it start playing again but eventually stops. MIDI playback still works fine. I'm currently using the win64 build. Last working version was 20210404-9321-7225643e3.

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 26 June 2021 - 08:33 AM

0

#2

Personally I'm not experiencing this issue currently, and it's odd because the revisions since then had very little to do with the sound system.

What are your system specs?

Edit: It might have something to do with the SDL updates that were part of the last few revisions.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 26 June 2021 - 12:19 PM

0

#3

View PostDoom64hunter, on 26 June 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

Personally I'm not experiencing this issue currently, and it's odd because the revisions since then had very little to do with the sound system.

What are your system specs?

Edit: It might have something to do with the SDL updates that were part of the last few revisions.

Win7 64-bits. 16GB RAM, SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional. One oddity I noticed in these builds is that the Sample Rate option always exhibits "Custom" no matter which rate I choose. Other games I play that rely on SDL2 work fine without sound issues using the latest dll.

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 27 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

0

#4

View Postfilipetolhuizen, on 27 June 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

One oddity I noticed in these builds is that the Sample Rate option always exhibits "Custom" no matter which rate I choose. Other games I play that rely on SDL2 work fine without sound issues using the latest dll.


This will be fixed in upcoming builds, maybe that will also resolve your sound issue.
0

#5

View PostDoom64hunter, on 27 June 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

This will be fixed in upcoming builds, maybe that will also resolve your sound issue.

Thanks for taking the time to look into that. Another thing I've been waiting for a fix is this (belongs to another topic):
https://forums.duke4.net/uploads/monthly_03_2019/post-1877-0-18778900-1553483082_thumb.jpg
0

#6

Is the sound problem resolved as of r9452?

You might need to delete settings.cfg
0

#7

View PostDoom64hunter, on 30 June 2021 - 12:58 AM, said:

Is the sound problem resolved as of r9452?

You might need to delete settings.cfg

Sound problem still remains on latest builds even after deleting settings.cfg. The output rate, however, is showing properly again on the menu.

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 03 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #8

I'm not able to reproduce any such issue with the sound system, unfortunately. Are there any log messages printed when it stops working?
0

#9

View PostTerminX, on 04 July 2021 - 05:54 PM, said:

I'm not able to reproduce any such issue with the sound system, unfortunately. Are there any log messages printed when it stops working?

Nothing on the log either. Attached below is the last .log I had when it happened. Most of the times it starts with no sound already.

Attached File(s)



This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 08 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #10

Try changing the value of snd_sdl_audiodriver in the console.
0

#11

Interestingly I experience this kind of sound issue if I play with one of the newer revisions (roughly form the last month or so) and then revert to an older build. Although the sound will be completely inaudible from the start.
0

#12

View PostHendricks266, on 08 July 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

Try changing the value of snd_sdl_audiodriver in the console.

Thanks! That did the trick!

View PostDoom64hunter, on 10 July 2021 - 12:08 AM, said:

Interestingly I experience this kind of sound issue if I play with one of the newer revisions (roughly form the last month or so) and then revert to an older build. Although the sound will be completely inaudible from the start.

Most of the times it starts without sound, other times, it will stop after a few seconds. Hendricks266's suggestion fixed it.
0

#13

I'm starting to think that it's related to SDL2. The workaround works great for eDuke32 but I tried latest version of Stella 2600, an Atari 2600 emulator which relies on SDL2 and it has exactly the same issue. And worst of all, it's not limited to x64 builds.

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 08 September 2021 - 08:17 AM

0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #14

You can use the environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER to change the setting in any SDL2 application.
0

#15

View PostHendricks266, on 08 September 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

You can use the environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER to change the setting in any SDL2 application.

Yes, I read about it. Currently using it because this annoying issue is spreading throughout SDL2 software. It's more prone to cause sound hiccups/choppyness, however.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options