Duke4.net Forums: Specifying different music for custom map (duke3d DOS) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Specifying different music for custom map (duke3d DOS)

User is offline   mike_s 

I don't see it in the duke3d help, but is there a way one can specify a different music soundtrack for a custom map in the original Duke Nukem 3D 1.3D for DOS? Because for every map I make, I always get the music from Episode 1, level 2.

You can't do that for DOS Duke. You can try changing the music for E1L8 (User Map) in the CON files (or changing one of the levels to the level you want to play...doesn't really sound like a good idea), but really, only EDuke32 and its forks (rednukem, etc) allow you to have music for custom maps (by naming the song you want the same name as the map file) without having to dick around with the CON (inb4 someone mentions some ancient ass source port no one uses anymore.)

This post has been edited by Slap McBald: 23 June 2021 - 02:09 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Or you can just rename the mid you want to play in your user map as dethtoll.mid, as thousands of generations have done before.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Every user map will use DETHTOLL.MID by default. Placing a copy of the MIDI you want in your Duke directory and renaming it to DETHTOLL.MID as the others have said will work, and that is the preferred way to do so if you intend to share the map with others or are just wanting to load a user map with custom midi. With that said, if you are wanting to replace levels in the episodes with maps of your own and make them use different MIDI tracks, you'll want to open USER.CON in a text editor and look for "Music for the individual levels" and rearrange, rename, or whatever is necessary. You can also rename the maps in USER.CON with map names of your own. So if you don't want to have to use the ExLx format, you don't have to. Search "Level file names" and follow the directions.

User is offline   mike_s 

oh ok cool.

Sure I may be nuts but DOS duke nukem works great with my computer setup. my PC is partly old anyway because it still has serial and parallel ports (and yes USB too). And it just seems not authentic using a port for duke nukem but anyway, maybe I can bring multiple generations of duke nukem players together with my driver (once its done).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options