Duke4.net Forums: Aliens Versus Predator Questions - Pt. #2 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aliens Versus Predator Questions - Pt. #2

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

We'll just continue here :)
So what have I been up to AvP related? I finished 4/5 of the bonus levels of the alien, and did one bonus level of the marine.
It's great, some bonus levels of the marine have a jetpack! It's really fun to use, and way better executed than Duke3D. It controls more like in Manhattan Project, with a key to go up, and let gravity take you down... I like that better than constantly having the same height with jump = up and duck = down. You also don't have to select it from your inventory, which also makes it better than in Duke3D. You just hit the key assigned to jetpack and you go up... simple as that (I know you could also assign a hotkey for selecting the jetpack in Duke3D... but it's still way slower than just having to hit the jetpack key and immediately go up, because in Duke3D you have to click the hotkey for jetpack, press use inventory, and press & hold jump).

Posted Image

This is me escaping by jetpack B) You can see the alien next to my flare.
Just a temporary solution though, you're not safe in mid-air either, since the aliens will crawl on the walls and then jump at you. And if they can't do that, they'll crawl from the walls to the ceiling, crawl on the ceiling until they have they about same X,Y coordinates as me, and then jump at me B) The AI is really smart.

Of course, it wouldn't be "Aliens versus Predator questions" if I didn't ask a question, so here it is:

I have the gold edition of Aliens versus Predator. I'm playing it on a Windows98 machine, on a system with 128mb memory, 550mhz, and an onboard graphics card that makes the game run decent except whe there are many aliens on the screen.

I am enjoying this game a lot, but something very strange is happening. It's so frustrating (altough I got used to it) and so abnormal I thought this can't be normal. This HAS to be a bug.

The thing is, each time I kill an alien, another one respawns in another room close to where I am... in some levels almost INSTANTLY.
It's so exaggerated that I'm better off running and hoping I find the exit of the level, than killing all aliens and taking my time to explore.
It's remarkable how it only happens with aliens, though. When I play as the alien or the predator, and I'm fighting marines, they hardly ever respawn. When I play as the alien or the marine, and I'm fighting a predator, it never respawns. But when I play as the marine or the predator, and I'm fighting aliens, they don't do anything else BUT respawning (figuratively speaking). Completely kills the suspense and my need for exploration.

In the first marine level, it doesn't happen though. Or rarely at least, I noticed it on my second playing session through that level, but not on my first (on my first it was nice and suspenseful... and when I encountered an extra alien I thought the game respawned it, like Doom 3 does, but I didn't think they kept respawning infinitely). After I finished the first level for the first time, and I got to level two, which starts outside, I kept running around, killing the aliens. After running around for 10 minutes, I knew it: all aliens respawn infinitely!

In that level, it was adrenaline pumping; but as soon as I reached the later levels, like Tyrargo, and Predator levels like "Razernij 161", the respawns became so annoying I just ignored all aliens and rushed through the level, and it's a shame I was forced to do that. I mean, being forced to run instead of shoot could be fun for one level, but if the big part of the marine & predator campaign is like that, it's just a waste of cool level design.

I was wondering what everyone else thinks, because to my surprise no review on the internet mentions this, which almost leads me to believe it's a bug on my end.

I posted this at the Gamespot forums, because I saw nothing about respawning aliens in their review. I thought: Let's not leave Micki! & co out, I'll post it here as well. B)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Well, i can tell you, that unfortunately this isn't a bug...
I find this annoying aswell, you're not alone...
You'll notice that you can carry an exessively great amount of ammo, and that's exactly because of this respawning thing... The idea is kinda simple actually...

They (the developers) give you loads of guns, and make aliens keep coming from everywhere... Then you must simply try to figure what to do next while fighting loads of aliens at the same time...

I admit, it's different than the most other games, and more cool to always have action going on, but this is always VERY frustrating at times...

That's exactly one of the reasons i didn't like this game so much...
That, and the damn levels... While some were cool, the majority of them (at least Marine and Alien missions) had locations that looked EXTTREMELY alike each other... I very often got lost, and that's very annoying, with this unlimited streams of aliens (as marine at least), and maybe even a time limit (get to escape-shuttle with Alien for instance)

These two things combined adds a great minus for me... :)
But i still love the feel of the game, if just they'd have thought this through first...

Hehe, that escape shuttle thing was annoying, simply because I didn't know what the hell was considered an escape shuttle by them :) I found one, but nothing happened, so I had to find another one. It was terrible because the actual shuttle is behind a door that magically opened elsewhere in the level.

Luckily, the gold edition allows me to save in the middle of a level, so it wasn't that big of an issue.

User is offline   Micki! 

I have the gold edition too...
But still, even with saves to make sure, it was still so damn annoying that i had to load again every time, to find that damn shuttle... Almost every location seemed similar... And it was hard to know if i'f been there before...

Photographic memory normally helps me out in such occations, but this was just annoying...

Well, my photographic memory helped, I can still draw the level on paper if you want :)

User is offline   Micki! 

I must play through it again first before doing that myself... :)
It's too long ago i played the game... Mainly because of the difficulties because of my PC using Windows XP... The game isn't glad working together with Service pack 2...

I hope you get it working one day, then we can discuss how awful levels like Tyrargo are, respawn-wise :)

User is offline   Micki! 

Maybe i'll experiment with it...
I still need to install all my favorite games, but on my other harddrive...

Micki!, on Jul 2 2006, 04:47 PM, said:

Maybe i'll experiment with it...
I still need to install all my favorite games, but on my other harddrive...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you could make a tiny little windows 98 partition? Of 5 GB or so... so you can always play a game on that OS when required.

User is offline   Micki! 

Cerberus_e, on Jul 2 2006, 06:21 PM, said:

Maybe you could make a tiny little windows 98 partition? Of 5 GB or so... so you can always play a game on that OS when required.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know... Maybe... I have a few other games (Duke3D) that could need that too...

You'll definitely need it if you're into retro gaming. Especially if you refuse to install ports, like me :)

User is offline   Micki! 

Well, i DO intent to have the ported version of Duke3D installed aswell, but only because of the HRP...

I'm going to concider doing this... I'll see how many "old" games i actually have, to see if it's necessary to do at all... (i'll be getting the Atomic edition, and Shadow warrior someday too... those might have to be counted in as well)

Yes, you definitely have to have played the original of Duke3D 1.5 first before you resort to ports & high resolution packs.
I always play old games the way they're supposed to be, no upgrades or anything, otherwise I can't appreciate the game (I'd constantly have "but this is not the original" in mind)

User is offline   Micki! 

Well, i DID try the original 3 episodes without any port...
The copy i own, is the original first series of copies they made... The 4'th episode came later... Nevermind this, you already know all that anyways...
But i need atomic edition damnit... I'm missing alot, i just know it... :)

AAAAAARGGHHH

Remember when I told you I found a savegame on the internet that has all bonus levels unlocked? What a filthy lie, that savegame played the game on easy difficulty, so it only unlocked two bonus levels, which is even worse than what I managed to do :mad:

I need a savegame of someone that finished the game on hard difficulty, so I can play all 5 bonus levels, now I only have 4 bonus levels per species unlocked.

I don't feel like replaying the whole damn thing in Director's Cut (= hard).

User is offline   Micki! 

Don't ask me...
I can't even get it running, and the confusing look-alike looks of the levels, makes me mad...

That was back then however...

I suggest you should look for another savegame file somewhere, with all this played through on the hardest difficulty...

I didn't specifically ask you, I just wanted to vent B)
I can't find another savegame. Guess I'll have to rush through the game, I know where most things are now, but still... :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options