Duke4.net Forums: Vacation Dukematch adjustment for bots battle - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vacation Dukematch adjustment for bots battle

User is offline   Šneček 

Already 10 years ago I was tempted to try dukematch on maps in Caribbean: Life´s and Beach, but I had no possibility to do it (I had the Duke expansions downloaded). But now that I know the duke3dw port, I decided to try that Vacation Dukematch using the extraction of the maps, music, sounds and textures from VACATION.GRP in DukeRes. Yesterday I had the problem that the sounds of a shotgun shot while playing came from a normal Duke Nukem, but I managed to solve it by rewriting the name of a original Super Soak´em sound called VINESNAP.voc to the original "shotgun7.voc" and water pistol, whose sound also did not work completely correctly, rewrote the name from SQUIRT1.voc also to the original "PISTOL.VOC". Now these sounds are fine.
However, I still can't figure out which ART file the blue "Caribbean sky texture" is in. (As can be seen in the attached Snímek obrazovky 261).
(In fact, so far I have actually extracted only 2 Caribbean dukematch maps with the necessary textures, but I will continue.)

Until now, I could try dukematch on normal maps and DM maps from Xtreme TC, because they didn't really contain any new graphics except for two new types of enemies.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (256).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (260).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (261).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (264).png

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i believe the light blue sky is in tiles000.art texture 89 thru 93

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostForge, on 19 June 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

i believe the light blue sky is in tiles000.art texture 89 thru 93

That´s strange, because TILES000.ART is contained in my dukematch folder.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

not sure how you have everything organized, are the art files in the top level folder with the exe file?

Used to be that you could simply drop art files into the top level duke3d folder and they'd work, I don't mess with it too much any more and things have changed.
I'm probably not the most qualified person to be trying to figure out why art files aren't over-writing default art, so it'll be a lot of guessing

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 June 2021 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostForge, on 20 June 2021 - 06:54 AM, said:

not sure how you have everything organized, are the art files in the top level folder with the exe file?

Used to be that you could simply drop art files into the top level duke3d folder and they'd work, I don't mess with it too much any more and things have changed.
I'm probably not the most qualified person to be trying to figure out why art files aren't over-writing default art, so it'll be a lot of guessing

I have a subfolder vacation dukematch in duke3dw folder, and i put into that subfolder all dm .MAP files, selected ART files- (only ART with necessary graphics for all vacation DM maps), and necessary VOC files. That is all. I launch duke3dw, and in multiplay section I select map i want to play from that subfolder. Nothing more.

This post has been edited by Šneček: 21 June 2021 - 07:08 AM

User is offline   Šneček 

Added the rest of DM maps for yesterday + another hours of converting all "vacation" VOC to MP3, so that I can find my way around the quotes. The result is the sentences "Time to crash this party" "Huhu" and "It's time to limbo" when collecting new weapons. ("Huhu" aka SSCOOL1.VOC renamed to original GROOVY02.VOC, "Time to crash this party" aka SSCOOL2 .VOC renamed to original WANSOM4A.VOC and "It's time to limbo" aka SSCOOL3.VOC renamed to original COOL01. VOC.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (278).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (279).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (273).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (277).png

This post has been edited by Šneček: 22 June 2021 - 06:19 AM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

I am looking forward on this. Can't wait to kickass those annoying bots when this is finished. Also can i ask from curiosity what exactly those bots adjustments are? Are you placing dukematch player starts on different spots? In case you didn't already found the solution, can i somehow help regarding that sky texture? Anyway keep up good work and Good Luck @Šneček

This post has been edited by Gingis Khan: 04 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostGingis Khan, on 04 July 2021 - 09:15 AM, said:

I am looking forward on this. Can't wait to kickass those annoying bots when this is finished. Also can i ask from curiosity what exactly those bots adjustments are? Are you placing dukematch player starts on different spots? In case you didn't already found the solution, can i somehow help regarding that sky texture? Anyway keep up good work and Good Luck @Šneček

Er, thank you for the "support", but I'm afraid you misunderstood my topic. These maps you see in the photos are not my work, they come from the original Duke Caribbean expansion and I myself did not modify the maps at all. I just decided to extract them from the GRP file of that expansion so that I could use the dukematch port to test dukematch with bots on them for the first time in years. Neither my graphics are on the maps, nor do I relocate respawn places for bots! I probably just used the inappropriate term "adjustment", so I'm sorry.
If you still wanted to send a folder with these maps, graphics, sounds and music, and play it in duke3dw, for example, I can provide a download link, but I doubt that this would be any hard work that no one else could handle.

This post has been edited by Šneček: 07 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

View PostŠneček, on 07 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Er, thank you for the "support", but I'm afraid you misunderstood my topic. These maps you see in the photos are not my work, they come from the original Duke Caribbean expansion and I myself did not modify the maps at all. I just decided to extract them from the GRP file of that expansion so that I could use the dukematch port to test dukematch with bots on them for the first time in years. Neither my graphics are on the maps, nor do I relocate respawn places for bots! I probably just used the inappropriate term "adjustment", so I'm sorry.
If you still wanted to send a folder with these maps, graphics, sounds and music, and play it in duke3dw, for example, I can provide a download link, but I doubt that this would be any hard work that no one else could handle.

I did understood it's Duke Caribbean dukematch levels, only thing i got wrong is that i thought you altered multiplayer starts because of bots. rest i did understood well. Yes, you can provide download link if you want, it's not like i am forcing you of course, i just meant for fun, that's all. its not that important for me. and even if you consider this work "that everyone could do it" i still think its nice. if you do provide it, thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Šneček 

Today, so far, I added the user.con file to the dukematch folder, opened it and rewritten the weapon names from the original to the caribbean weapon names, including first aid kits (I added the user.con to the caribbean multiplayer folder and found out that the user.con needed to be extracted only from that megaton version itself, whose GRP I use to run the game in duke3dw, user.con from any other version would probably not work).
In addition, I also solved the change of some other sounds, namely I renamed COCOANUT.voc to original rpgfire.voc, then I renamed ICECONCH.voc to original catfire.voc and original chaingun.voc name instead of caribbean CHAINDRV.VOC. The sounds of these weapons are now as they should be.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (291).png

This post has been edited by Šneček: 08 July 2021 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

I've played some of these maps in Megaton fairly recently (last year or so) in Dukematch, to be precise - the level with small islands that you showed on screens 1-3 in first post and the ship level. The first level was super small and stupidly open, even too small for 2 people to have a proper Dukematch - it was basically spawn killing all the time, even worse than Stadium. The ship level was a bit better, but we only played very short in that one due to Megaton being Megaton and crashing on us.

Never really fancied playing with bots, although I did play with SOB/PP bot quite a lot as a kid - lacking the thril of rivalry with another human/friend kinda kills it for me. Nevertheless, good luck with your project, Šneček!

User is offline   Šneček 

In case you didn't already found the solution, can i somehow help regarding that sky texture? Anyway keep up good work and Good Luck @Šneček

I appreciate the offer of your help, but today I have been engaged in other activities described above, and didn't have time to deal with the sky at this point, especially when it concerned a single map. But maybe I'll look into it again.
Regards

User is offline   Šneček 

Anyway keep up good work and Good Luck @Šneček

View PostAleks, on 08 July 2021 - 07:37 AM, said:

Nevertheless, good luck with your project, Šneček!

Thank you, guys!

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostGingis Khan, on 07 July 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

I did understood it's Duke Caribbean dukematch levels, only thing i got wrong is that i thought you altered multiplayer starts because of bots. rest i did understood well. Yes, you can provide download link if you want, it's not like i am forcing you of course, i just meant for fun, that's all. its not that important for me. and even if you consider this work "that everyone could do it" i still think its nice. if you do provide it, thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

As for providing the link, you will certainly receive it, but I am still working on this "personal mini project". (hope it will not be embarrassing to write the word "project" when it comes to existing maps.)

User is offline   Šneček 

Now I'm a bit stuck with an extremely annoying task: I need the ambient sound (I'd say the bird sound) that can be heard in those multiplayer maps- (Island Hopping), even at the beginning of the Caribbean Catastrophe level, I think it's supposed to be the sound of seagulls? (-but it isn´t the sound of an enemy seagull, in addition to seagulls, the sea can be heard in it.) I pulled all the VOCs from VACATION.GRP and now I have to convert them all to mp3 to find it. It's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. I wouldn't refuse help with finding if someone knew theoretically some way to find a sound faster? :)

Otherwise, I think that I am slowly approaching the finals. Perhaps. I think.

This post has been edited by Šneček: 10 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostŠneček, on 10 July 2021 - 10:28 AM, said:

Now I'm a bit stuck with an extremely annoying task: I need the ambient sound (I'd say the bird sound) that can be heard on those multiplayer maps- (Island Hopping), even at the beginning of the Caribbean Catastrophe level, I think it's supposed to be the sound of seagulls? (-but it isn´t the sound of an enemy seagull, in addition to seagulls, the sea can be heard in it.) I pulled all the VOCs from VACATION.GRP and now I have to convert them all to mp3 to find it. It's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. I wouldn't refuse help with finding if someone knew theoretically some way to find a sound faster? :)

Otherwise, I think that I am slowly approaching the finals. Perhaps. I think.

I've just checked the first Caribbean map and it has ambient sounds of numbers 189 and 190 located right at the beginning. I don't have the CONs extracted, but you can check in defs.con to see what sound definitions these numbers correspond to, then check user.con to see the filenames corresponding to these sound definitions.

You can also try a program like Audacity, which should be able to directly load and play VOC files.

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostAleks, on 10 July 2021 - 10:47 AM, said:

I've just checked the first Caribbean map and it has ambient sounds of numbers 189 and 190 located right at the beginning. I don't have the CONs extracted, but you can check in defs.con to see what sound definitions these numbers correspond to, then check user.con to see the filenames corresponding to these sound definitions.

You can also try a program like Audacity, which should be able to directly load and play VOC files.

Thanks for very quick response, i will try.

User is offline   Šneček 

View PostAleks, on 10 July 2021 - 10:47 AM, said:

Strange, i looked into VADEFS.CON, but i didn´t see those numbers! But at this moment it doesn't matter anymore! As I converted all the sounds to mp3, today I finally found it! That sound was called SURF.VOC.

User is offline   Šneček 

In case you didn't already found the solution, can i somehow help regarding that sky texture?

In VACADM1 map, I hope I already solved different sky as follows: the future archive will probably include VACADM1 in two variants (or versions): one (non-edited) version with a dark blue sky (292↓) and the other one called VACADM1edited (295↓), where i replaced that sky to the standard light blue. So if someone doesn't like the dark blue sky variant, will be able to run the same map with a modified lighter sky. 294 is shot from normal game:
(from 294 it looks like the texture of the sky in upper screenshot 261 is correct, only some "alignment" will be different?)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (292).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (295).png
  • Attached Image: Snímek obrazovky (294).png

This post has been edited by Šneček: 12 July 2021 - 05:44 AM

User is offline   Šneček 

As for the sound of birds (SURF.VOC): I looked into VASOUNDS.CON and found that the name for the SURF.VOC file was GENERIC_AMBIENCE14. I tried to rename SURF.VOC to GENERIC_AMBIENCE14.VOC in the folder with my maps, but it still didn't play.
So I decided to make it as simple as possible: I converted SURF.VOC to SURF.ogg, so now in duke3dw I can set this sound as a soundtrack for that particular map. I can say that the result is "the same".

This post has been edited by Šneček: 12 July 2021 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostŠneček, on 12 July 2021 - 06:43 AM, said:

As for the sound of birds (SURF.VOC): I looked into VASOUNDS.CON and found that the name for the SURF.VOC file was GENERIC_AMBIENCE14. I tried to rename SURF.VOC to GENERIC_AMBIENCE14.VOC in the folder with my maps, but it still didn't play.
So I decided to make it as simple as possible: I converted SURF.VOC to SURF.ogg, so now in duke3dw I can set this sound as a soundtrack for that particular map. I can say that the result is "the same".

You should look in user.con for the sound names associated with the sound definitions. In regular Duke, "generic_ambience14" is onlyon03.voc, which is a Duke talk quote. You should also play with flags in this case, so it works as an ambience sound - probably defined properly in Caribbean user.con.

User is offline   Šneček 

I test my work over and over and I can´t figure out what else I might be missing, so I hope it´s done and so here´s a chance to try it :

https://www.mediafir...ematch.zip/file

But if you come up with some lack, let me know!

This post has been edited by Šneček: 17 July 2021 - 05:34 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options