Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 crash on Linux - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 crash on Linux

Hi everyone. About a year ago I had Eduke32 working perfectly with hi-res art, music, everything. Haven't touched it in a while, come back to it now, it simply crashes when trying to launch from Eduke32. I've tried different rendering modes, fullscreen, not fullscreen, polymer, all kinds of combinations. If I blow away the whole config and set up nothing (so it launches the shareware grp) then I do get the two end-of-shareware-episode screens, but still no playable game.

Pertinent information:
Gentoo Linux (but also tried on Fedora and OpenSuse Tumbleweed)
This is the only kind of feedback I get when run from a terminal:
Setting video mode 1920x1080 (32-bpp windowed)
Refresh rate: 60.00Hz
OpenGL information
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.40.0, 5.12.10-gentoo, LLVM 12.0.0) 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.1.2
Opened "texturecache" as cache file
Initializing sound: SDL PULSEAUDIO driver on IEC958: 48.0 KHz stereo with 64 voices
Initializing MIDI driver: AdLib OPL3 emulation
eduke32(+0x1898b6)[0x55ad4bc1f8b6]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x38c30)[0x7fde1e4b9c30]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x15c97e)[0x7fde1e5dd97e]
eduke32(+0xaa513)[0x55ad4bb40513]
eduke32(+0x735ee)[0x55ad4bb095ee]
eduke32(main+0x330)[0x55ad4bac35f0]
/lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xcd)[0x7fde1e4a47fd]
eduke32(+0x3057a)[0x55ad4bac657a]

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

Eduke32 reports this in the Messages tab but I don't think it's relevant:
EDuke32 r9321[fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /var) Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).]-7225643e3

I've tried compiling on GCC 10.2, 10.3 and 11.1. No difference.
I don't have/see a way to build it to generate a real, honest-to-goodness debug log...

The only thing that's changed since it worked last year is I switched from nVidia to AMD Radeon. Not sure if it's a video driver issue.

If there's any more info I can provide or anything you want me to try, please let me know! I'd love to get this working again.

Thanks!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Could you `make clean && make RELEASE=0`, then run the resulting binary under GDB and get a backtrace that has symbols?

View PostHendricks266, on 17 June 2021 - 11:29 AM, said:

Could you `make clean && make RELEASE=0`, then run the resulting binary under GDB and get a backtrace that has symbols?

Hi Hendricks. The way Gentoo installs things, you don't get the option to change how things are installed. What I did do was remove the version that got installed, downloaded a new source tarball from the eduke32 site and installed it manually - that worked. Fired up perfectly. So all I can think is there was either something about r9321 my system didn't like or (more likely) the packager nerfed something when it was packaged for Gentoo.

Thanks for the response though, much appreciated - and thanks to you and the team for keeping Duke going!!!

User is offline   mike_s 

View PostLeGrosFromage, on 17 June 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Hi everyone. About a year ago I had Eduke32 working perfectly with hi-res art, music, everything. Haven't touched it in a while, come back to it now, it simply crashes when trying to launch from Eduke32. I've tried different rendering modes, fullscreen, not fullscreen, polymer, all kinds of combinations. If I blow away the whole config and set up nothing (so it launches the shareware grp) then I do get the two end-of-shareware-episode screens, but still no playable game.

Pertinent information:
Gentoo Linux (but also tried on Fedora and OpenSuse Tumbleweed)

I use linux myself and I know its frustrating getting some things to work. I had a similar experience with an emulator called Qemu. it worked fine when I had slackware 12. I'm at slackware 14 and the same qemu wouldn't compile because I had too new of a C compiler.

Having said all that, I'm in the middle of making a solution (driver) so anyone with practically any version of windows or linux can play Duke Nukem network style. Only thing is I don't know what clients people are currently using to connect with other players in lobbies because if I knew this along with the underlying code format then I could connect my driver to the same server and I wouldn't need a special server.

I'm sorry if its not an immediate answer, but once I can get my driver rolling out, it will be compatible with all OS's capable of running DOSBOX and best of all, it will be compatible with MS-DOS itself!

Now imagine that.... hauling out your old computer and being able to play duke nukem on it against today's players.

Possible answer

Ok so I ranted enough and I'm sorry my solution won't result in beautiful hi-res graphics, but the only idea I can suggest is to find another version of eduke that best fits your system because some newer versions of software require newer versions of libraries to run properly, and that is probably where your issue comes in. It may also be possible that the version of eduke expects your graphics card to support certain hardware features and it doesnt. In fact, I'm using a laptop with an old ATI card and I can't even use today's webgl based websites properly because the developers of webgl decided my card along with several others are to be blacklisted :(

Anyways, like I said. for the meantime, you'll just have to find another version of eduke or use another duke nukem port that works for your system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options